Thread: Building Out a Switcher Macro Set (TC1/VIZ RT)

Building Out a Switcher Macro Set (TC1/VIZ RT)

Hello everyone,

Football season is right around the corner and it is time for me to start building some switcher macro commands for the upcoming season. I will be working college on a TC1/NVG1 (VIZ RT) and high school on a MINI and 3rd Party graphic system.

My main questions have to do with the TC1/NVG1 combo. This will be for ESPN3 shows so I want to look to be as close as possible to Linear TV.

I can go ahead and build out all my 4 DSK Key layers. So things like take/fade clean, take'fade with graphics output 1 and so on can be build right now before the graphics package come down the line. I am waiting to get the newest package in though. Then I can complete things that involve certain elements like replay transitions.

That leads me to a timing question. I understand that when you load a transition to the animation store and run that animation it goes underneath the keyers. Is there a trick or is it just about the timing to get say a score bug off right before a transition sweeps in? Is there a trick to have the animation layer on the very top?

For my high school shows I just do a simple key off then the transition on top, but the ESPN football replay transition is a very slow one.

I am very excited to see what all I can do with the TC1/Viz combo.

When you run a background transition, it is just that - part of the background layer - thus all DSKs will always be on top of the transition running between background sources. So yes, you could make a macro that very quickly fades/wipes all DSKs as transition begins, that would be one way to do it.

Another might be this, if you could for instance spare a DSK - create an animation to run from a Buffer assigned to DSK4. Your macro would fire that animation, which perhaps covers the entire screen at some point, and you time the macro to kill the other 3 DSKs - and TAKE background source also - while all those layers are momentarily hidden by the animation overlay, so as the DSK anim buffer finishes up it reveals a clean source (commercial or whatever).

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

I thought about going that route. My current thought on the DSK layers is:

DSK 4 Graphics
    DSK 3 BUG
    DSK 2 Telestrator
    DSK 1 Replay Burn

I guess I could create a macro to change my DSK 2 from Telestrator Key to burn then back. That would open up DSK 1.

Any other tricks you want to share. I am coming off of running E3 shows on a Ross so this gives me a lot more flexible things I can do with the large amount of things that are Macro assignable.

Also, I am the TD and director so the less keys I can hit the better! Simple as possible workflow.....

Here's my setup... (I have a Novation Launchpad)

DSK 1 Bug
    DSK 4 Replay Wipe

Take DSK 4
    Insert Delay (the number of frames until the animation fills the whole screen)
    Take DSK 1 (to turn off bug)
    Take BACKGROUND

I assign this to a button on my Launchpad and use it as both the IN and OUT macro, since it will just toggle the scorebug on or off. I have my replay burn coming from my 3Play so you may have to tinker a bit

That is a pretty cool idea to have the burn on 3 Play. I never thought about that!

As soon as the package gets in I am going to build these both ways and see which one works best. We are supposed to get a Novation Launchpad in soon.

For my high school shows I use and X-Keys and love it. I have two one for the switcher and one for replay off the MINI. This season I am doing a separate replay solution though.

I want to do a pretty simple command but cant figure out the right command to use.

I want to create a "Fade Clean Macro"

No matter what graphics are online, I want the macro to fade to my camera shot and also fade all 4 DSK layers off.

I was able to build one but it seems to toggle so if I hit the macro twice, it would put it back online. I want to make sure each time the DSK layers know to fade off.

Can someone assist?

Maybe it will help to know that 'Auto shortcuts' are toggles, not explicit state commands. To get a specified state each time, use T-Bar shortcuts.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

So to be clear, I would use the T-bar shortcut on the DSK layers as well?

I was able to get the fade for the cameras to work without issue.

Could you give an example of what the macro should look like to have a DSK layer at zero?

Quote Originally Posted by Radio_TVPat1982 View Post
    Could you give an example of what the macro should look like to have a DSK layer at zero?
    The shortcut "main_dsk4_value" with value "0" turns off DSK4.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    The shortcut "main_dsk4_value" with value "0" turns off DSK4.
    When I use that, it does a cut and not a fade on DSK 4. I am wanting a fade, but I do not want it to toggle. Here is the scenario.

Fade between Cam 1 with No DSK Layers On
    Macro (Fade Graphics IN with camera fade from cam 1 to 2)
    Camera 1 fades to camera 2 and DSK 4 fades on

Hit the same button again and all that happen is the cam switches because DSK 4 is already on (Not a toggle)

Quote Originally Posted by Radio_TVPat1982 View Post
    When I use that, it does a cut and not a fade on DSK 4. I am wanting a fade, but I do not want it to toggle.
    I think you'll have to fake it using a series of explicit values leading incrementally to 0.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    I think you'll have to fake it using a series of explicit values leading incrementally to 0.
    Yeah, I think you are right. I did try a couple other things but could not get it to do anything but a straight on/off or a toggle situation.

I should be OK as long as I dont mispunch something during the show. I was able to get all the commands built. Working on timing for wipes and other video effects now. Thanks again for you help as always Steve.