Thread: "Bent" normal maps?

"Bent" normal maps?

In 16 years doing 3D I've never heard this term, only object space and tangent space. Now Unity's Delighting tool is asking for it. What is it?
    ~~Phil Nolan
    www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - YouTube
    Win 10 Home x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
    Laptop: Win10 x64, Core I7 8th gen, 1.8 GHz, 16GB RAM

TrueArt Support
    LightWave Plugins
    Global Materials for LightWave 2018!
    Custom plugin writing. Request a quote.

I have not. Thank you.
    ~~Phil Nolan

Was in Philly about a month ago... interesting to see the heart of American Jurisprudence, so to speak. Great food too.

Isn't this a bit like alpha channel maps in PS where you action replicate the edge repeatedly?

Hope you had a cheesesteak! I don't know what you mean by action replicate an edge. I did learn that 3D-Coat can bake bent normal maps. They look very similar to regular normal maps, world space or tangent space.
    ~~Phil Nolan

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    Hope you had a cheesesteak! I don't know what you mean by action replicate an edge. I did learn that 3D-Coat can bake bent normal maps. They look very similar to regular normal maps, world space or tangent space.
    Indeed discovered cheesesteaks and more IPA's/hoppy beer (buckwheat panckaes and maple syrup already)... me neither ever heard of bent normal maps, way too far into game design. Lousy food in W DC apart from the Hilton but surprised in Akron Ohio by better SE Asian renditions than NYC!

So I have learned that 3D-Coat can generate bent normal maps but there are some settings and I didn't know what to set them at. I discovered xNormal can also do them and it's more straightforward I think.
    ~~Phil Nolan

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    So I have learned that 3D-Coat can generate bent normal maps but there are some settings and I didn't know what to set them at. I discovered xNormal can also do them and it's more straightforward I think.
    "... bent-normals, calculating the overall average of light that could be projected out from a surface" like the opposite of normals. It's a game thing, like you're baking the GI rather than a specific light probe on an object? The difference isn't exctly jumping out at you. Pretty sure in 3DC it's not called that but the light baking tool is where u might look.

Yep in 3D Coat, it's under Textures/Light Baking Tool in the Paint room.