Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lightwave Quick tips

Very handy, thanks for these dsoell!

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Pleasure! That thread is a gold mine for every Lightwaver!

Wow! I was just looking at your cylinder tutorial and you did one that was in a roundabout way.

OK, I will explain it simply as to what I do to add edge loops to the ends of cylinders. It is best for simple shapes flush to the XYZ angles.

1) Select the Ngon cap polygon at the end of a cylinder.
    2) 'E' to extrude ("extender plus" for me) then alt+arrow to nudge out an edge loop from the view perpendicular to the cap poly.
    3) 'E' again to extrude and then scale the polygon (shift + H with action centre set to 'selection'.
    4) Then you triangulate the Ngon like you did in your video and turn them into quads.

I was just surprised that you used your Fix 3-5 method which takes longer!

You can also select all the side polygons of a cylinder then 'E' to extrude and scale perpecdicular to the cap polys to give yourself some edge loops near the ends of the cylinder, too.

Keep up with your tutorial, though. They are useful and I think the beginners would appreciate them, too.

Cheers,
    Revanto
    ---------------------
    I'm a Mega 3D dude!!!
    ---------------------
    Check out my friend's OLD Youtube tutorials
    Mix Mash's tutes

Yes, E is Extender Plus. Shift E is Extrude. There's less difference between them now than there used to be, but Extender Plus does require you to change tools (select poly, E, T to move) whereas Extrude potentially only needs Shift-E to work since it follows the "nothing selected, everything selected" rule.

B
    PS. I think we ought to use the shorthand of "NSES" for the rule because it's quicker to type...
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Hey Revanto. Thanks for the reply! I was hoping to spark more of these conversations as they always benefit everyone. I am ofc aware of what you said but the purpose of these quick tips is also to use some of the somewhat overlooked tools and fix 3-5 is a good way for less seasoned artists to get things done! I would love it if more people would chime in and give us their insights. Not everybody is an old fart like most of us!

P.S.: I would really appreciate any input for upcoming vids! Next one is on the way already!

Excellent videos! Thanks for making these.

As for a request.... Do you have any tips for getting a nice result when shifting a group of polygons into a curved surface after doing a Drill -> Stencil on that surface?

And example would be to take half a sphere and stencil an oval curve onto its surface. Then shift the polygons inside that circle into the half-sphere a bit. What I often see is distortion in some of the polygons around the counter-sunk edge. I end up having to delete the problem polys and make new ones manually from the points. I'm sure there must be a better way.

I'm thinking of something similar to this, but with tips on shifting the polys and getting smooth and rounded edges when doing an inset:
    https://youtu.be/cHczJc_1le0?t=303
    Favorite Waves: LW3.5, 5.6c, 7.5, 8.5, 9.6, 2015.

Hey, thanks for the flowers. You mean something like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO3bg_M4gnw ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvQhFXHZDZ8

Quote Originally Posted by dsoell View Post
    Hey Revanto. Thanks for the reply! I was hoping to spark more of these conversations as they always benefit everyone. I am ofc aware of what you said but the purpose of these quick tips is also to use some of the somewhat overlooked tools and fix 3-5 is a good way for less seasoned artists to get things done! I would love it if more people would chime in and give us their insights. Not everybody is an old fart like most of us!

P.S.: I would really appreciate any input for upcoming vids! Next one is on the way already!
    Yes, I know the truth of being an old fart as I have been at the Lightwave game for the last 20 years.

OK, I see then. I thought you may have skipped over this way of doing things. My mistake.

Well, maybe how about a small tutorial on the EPSF loader? I use it for importing vector shapes or images sometimes instead of reference images. The thing is that is in your vector program (I use Illustrator) I found that if you export your shape with a filled object that the result will be a closed Ngon but if there is no fill then you will get 2 point polys instead. Sometimes that can be useful, though.

Cheers,
    Revanto
    ---------------------
    I'm a Mega 3D dude!!!
    ---------------------
    Check out my friend's OLD Youtube tutorials
    Mix Mash's tutes

Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    "nothing selected, everything selected"
    This has definitely become a four-letter word for me and I think it's the worst workflow ever. It destroys geometry for me and is wasting my time. I just submitted a bug report and you guys will continue to get them every time I lose time from NSES.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    Yes, E is Extender Plus. Shift E is Extrude. There's less difference between them now than there used to be, but Extender Plus does require you to change tools (select poly, E, T to move) whereas Extrude potentially only needs Shift-E to work since it follows the "nothing selected, everything selected" rule.

B
    PS. I think we ought to use the shorthand of "NSES" for the rule because it's quicker to type...
    If I havenīt missed some function in modeler, or in case there is a better extrude/extend tool.
    We really need the tool for extruding/ polybevel out with divisions..and able to do so on multiple selected faces, as I am aware of..there is none, extrude will yield non connected polygons..that one allows for setting divisions, you could try thicken as well..but it will yield extra polys.
    I am a bit baffled this hasnīt been adressed yet.

Itīs a bit funny when Houdini can do this with polyextrude, and Houdini isnīt exactly regarded as the most model friendly software, blender also does this a bit better...so Lightwave modeling actions need to step up a bit, it began some years ago with tweak modify stuff based on the core stuff I think, transform, axis translate etc..but it got a limp foot along the way and lost the speed of development.

Note ..If I have missed this option to multiextrude and setting divisions..then I would apologize, a workaround after extending would be to reselect the sides of the extended polys..then use "l" for connect..which yields divisions on those selected faces.

Ideally...a tweak tool that can multiselect when hovering without actually click select, then multiextrude with division options..that could make a couple of other tools obsolete.
    Alternatively extender with division options, or perhaps bevel with multiselected uptions just as multishift...or multishift with division options..but multishift may have too many options to get going fast with the most common options.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by BigHache View Post
    This has definitely become a four-letter word for me and I think it's the worst workflow ever. It destroys geometry for me and is wasting my time. I just submitted a bug report and you guys will continue to get them every time I lose time from NSES.
    Imagine if in Photoshop you ALWAYS had to make a Selection. --No thanks.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    Imagine if in Photoshop you ALWAYS had to make a Selection. --No thanks.
    We're not talking about Photoshop. I don't even know why you would bring that up. Apples and oranges.

Make a comparison to a 3D modeling app and I'd be happy to discuss.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by BigHache View Post
    We're not talking about Photoshop. I don't even know why you would bring that up. Apples and oranges.
    Selection is Selection. Photoshop works the same as LWM, when nothing is Selected, everything is selected.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

To be fair, most operations in Adobe Illustrator require an explicit selection. But even the dumbest of Adobe subscribers are smart enough to handle the different ways Illustrator and Photoshop handle selections. I don't see how users of a more complex 3D app would be challenged here.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    Selection is Selection. Photoshop works the same as LWM, when nothing is Selected, everything is selected.
    No, and wrong. Still not talking about Photoshop. Easy concept. Do you have anything to add to the conversation besides contradiction?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123