Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lightwave Quick tips

Lightwave Quick tips

Hey guys! I've started a series of Lightwave quick tip vids. There are only 2 in there right now but I'm planning on making new stuff at least once a week. Hope it helps somebody with something. More to come! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCl..._as=subscriber

Wow. The edge move trick alone is certainly worth the price of admission. We have GOT to find out who the brain trust on that one was. Good find.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

I would like to know that myself. Feels like somebody started to code got sidetracked and simply forgot about it. But what do I know, I can hardly input the code on my phone

It is in the 2018 docs...
    https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display/LW201Edit+Edges

and also in the 2015 docs (p1511)

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Hey Ben! As I've said on YT: best manual ever. Yeah it is all in there. The one thing that is missing is that ctrl to move a single edge only works after you have moved the entire edgeloop first.

Quote Originally Posted by dsoell View Post
    I would like to know that myself. Feels like somebody started to code got sidetracked and simply forgot about it. But what do I know, I can hardly input the code on my phone
    Same here, and that's my guess too. I just know I tried as described & got nowhere.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by dsoell View Post
    Hey Ben! As I've said on YT: best manual ever. Yeah it is all in there. The one thing that is missing is that ctrl to move a single edge only works after you have moved the entire edgeloop first.
    Do you have to actually move the whole edge loop, or can you just select the tool, select the edge loop with the tool, and then use ctrl to move an individual edge?

On another note, I am really glad to see more people sharing their knowledge and insights. I think Lightwave users often tend to be insular in their work and they don't realize that something that you as an individual artist takes for granted, other LW users are completely unaware of.

So it's always good to get new tool insights and workflows from other users
    Last edited by RPSchmidt; 07-23-2018 at 07:53 AM.

... "Do you have to actually move the whole edge loop, or can you just select the tool, select the edge loop with the tool, and then use ctrl to move an individual edge?"

Just the edge. Then it moves along the normal between the 2 outer edges which is handy for hard-edged modelling.

Do you have to actually move the whole edge loop, or can you just select the tool, select the edge loop with the tool, and then use ctrl to move an individual edge?
    both.

HowEver!... you cannot select multiple edges, then move them.
    you either have to move the whole edgeloop, or 1 edge.

try moving a row of say, 5 edges. > not possible.

plugin solutions are > DUniSlide(PC) or WedgeSlide(PC/Mac)
    Last edited by erikals; 07-23-2018 at 10:13 AM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Update Video is coming. You just have to left click one edge (the orange circle) and then ctrl left click and drag to move a single edge (Thanks to Ben for the info). And no you can't move multiple edges.

Yes I am guilty of the cave mode as well and thought that nobody would need my 2 cents. Well some people pushed me over the edge and here I am free falling recording hopefully many vids on the way down. See you after the crash!

Or, ya know, maybe the devs could just fix the keyboard interaction so the tool accepts the CTRL modifier from the start?
    Last edited by jwiede; 07-23-2018 at 10:56 AM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Or, ya know, maybe the devs could just fix the keyboard interaction so the tool accepts the CTRL modifier from the start?
    Okay... so I'm not in front of my workstation right now, so I can't try this.

Has anyone tried SHIFT selecting the edges? In most programs, CTRL selecting chooses a single item, then adds each item after it to the selection; but perhaps in this case SHIFT left-click would allow the selection of multiple edges?

I'm sure someone has tried it, but it occurred to me that in many programs, CTRL left click should update the selection with each added item, but in some programs it doesn't; your only option is SHIFT left click.

Quote Originally Posted by RPSchmidt View Post
    Okay... so I'm not in front of my workstation right now, so I can't try this.

Has anyone tried SHIFT selecting the edges? In most programs, CTRL selecting chooses a single item, then adds each item after it to the selection; but perhaps in this case SHIFT left-click would allow the selection of multiple edges?

I'm sure someone has tried it, but it occurred to me that in many programs, CTRL left click should update the selection with each added item, but in some programs it doesn't; your only option is SHIFT left click.
    Shift Click while in the edit edge mode deletes the edge or edge loop you're working with.

Quote Originally Posted by dlvphoto View Post
    Shift Click while in the edit edge mode deletes the edge or edge loop you're working with.
    Yup, that is a poor design decision.... at least, from the perspective of adjusting multiple edges.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast