Thread: Tricaster 8000 Audio Cliping/distorted with full image

Unhappy Tricaster 8000 Audio Cliping/distorted with full image

Greetings

I am a network and systems admin who got stuck into a group of media people . I know very little about audio video but they needed a tech guy sooo here I am. That pre req out of the way lol I am having a hell of a time with my Tricaster 8000... so much so they are at the point of wanting me to mail the thing back to them.... lets not and say we did yeah? lol

So my issue is my Tricaster is unstable as all get out!

Go to make a new session the Tricaster Software freezes (some times windows it self which leads to a hard reboot)
    The Tricaster its self often takes upwards of 15 minuets to start a new session.
    It quite often reloads or dumps the gfx or videos in the DDR2 bay

The HUGE issue is when we are Live only Live and we have a full image up with the person on the green screen talking we get Horrible clipping or squashing issues with our audio. Its all over the place.

I would love some help/tips/tricks. I want to help my tricaster operators out but not being one my self and not really understanding audio video I feel like I have one paddle on a rowboat in a ocean lol

First things first, in LIVE interface, press ALT + B and it will show currently installed software version at top of screen. If old software, or Windows has corruption, doing a RESTORE and update to latest software often cures all evils, unless there is an actual hardware problem in machine. Please let us know what software version you are running

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

I am curetnly on 5-1-180323C. The last time I tried to restore my Tricaster it caused more issues that it solved. As I stated I'm coming into this after they have been up and running for a few years. I guess there is a resore point for windows on the Tricaster that we were to update once it was in "working order". That nevere happeend. So my only resore point is about 3 years old.

Windows Restore Points are not used on TriCaster. From the factory, there is a special backup partition on drive which is a ghost image of C: drive AS SHIPPED. So using RESTORE from TriCaster ADMIN page will virtually put Windows and TriCaster software back to AS NEW. So again, unless there is a hardware failure in the works, this fixes most weird issues. Any Windows corruptions, sludge buildup, etc. WILL BE GONE. Then install software update on top of the Restore, now having a solid base to do so on. Restore takes about 10 minutes to complete.

If you do the RESTORE, be sure to first back up any custom transitions, virtual sets, custom macros, any other goodies that might reside on C: drive. Aside from that your Sessions and Media on D: or E: drives will be untouched and safe when using RESTORE. And make sure you have your serial/registration code handy to type in after restore. And of course if you have a downloaded copy of those newer drivers on C:, move them to another drive so they don't get erased with C: drive contents, else you need to download all over again.

Given the issues of crashing and long waits for things to happen, RESTORE is absolutely the first thing I would do. Could be years of built up errors in system if that has never been done.

EDIT: if you do get system running tip-top, you can make your own User Backup Image on an external drive and can later restore from that if you want. Maybe that is what you were referring to?

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

I'd start with a look at the hard drives. Too many times a bad drive is the cause major performance issues. Remove all drives from the drive bays and see if the problems are resolved. There is still a drive fixed in the unit, but more of then than not, the removable ones go first.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

I have suggested we replace our drives. Hard drive tests do show some degradation. But I think we never fully recovered from the backup/restore I did 8 months ago from the windows partition. Combination drives and fresh software might help me a lot!

Thanks

FYI we recently had some similar issues.

Although I'm not 100% saying it fixed it, I opened up the case and reseated cards, cables and most importantly, RAM. The very last crash, reseated RAM again and now three weeks without issues.

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications

Quote Originally Posted by starscreem View Post
    I have suggested we replace our drives. Hard drive tests do show some degradation. But I think we never fully recovered from the backup/restore I did 8 months ago from the windows partition. Combination drives and fresh software might help me a lot!

Thanks
    Are you referring to using TriCaster's own Backup and Restore feature, or another backup app?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

So I have been able to reload the tricaster OS and Software. I am now on the most current build. As of this mornings broadcast I am still having the audio clip (cut out, it goes then u miss half a word, maybe a few syllables) issues when I put a still image full screen and have one of the in studio people talk over it.

Suggestion I'm at 110% complete loss here. It only happens when we are live, it does not clip or have any issues on the recordings.

I have taken a clip of the issue. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ptkxdzde3s...oIssue.ts?dl=0 if anyone cares to give it their 2 cents lol

A secondary issue that is along the same lines as this one. Every so often the Tricaster "squashes" the audio of a project and we have to manually push the lvls up in the audio mixer to regain audible sound. I feel this is related. This will happen on a few different projects.