Thread: How To Create A Simple 3D Walk Thru Game For PC Help

How To Create A Simple 3D Walk Thru Game For PC Help

I have an idea for a simple walk thru "game". The idea is to create a museum of items and simple animations that a user can walk thru using their PC keyboard like a simple video game. Does anyone have experience with creating simple 3D walk thru games? Which software would I need to use along with Lightwave to accomplish this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You'd almost certainly want to use a popular game engine like Unity or Unreal Engine to implement the actual "walk-thru game" part, and there are plenty of decent books and websites that explain how to set up a basic "3D FPS/RPG"-type game in those engines. Without knowing your level of coding ability (and for what languages), it's a bit tricky to recommend specific titles, though.

Regardless of which engine used, you would use Lightwave to generate the 3D objects, set up their surfacing/lighting, and so forth, then use FBX to migrate the data over to the appropriate engine's work environment (both Unity and Unreal Engine offer in-engine working environments for design/implementation).

If you can give a sense of coding ability, and for which languages, I can probably recommend some titles for you. Also, do you prefer books or videos? Both exist, from multiple publishers.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

I have very little coding knowledge but I've started viewing some Lynda tutorials on Unity. My goal is to create a simple walk thru museum with animated "exhibits" throughout. I hope to gain enough knowledge to be able to embed the "game" into a website for folks to walk thru online using their PC keys to navigate through like the architectural walkthroughs online.
    Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by stevegraymusic; 07-18-2018 at 10:08 AM.