Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lw 2018 PBR and making an ocean

Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    Do get me wrong, all the hot ocean's FIXED render work here is Laudable & is always pushing

a subsection of the houdini port . BUT BUT. the crashing interacting white caps in this

animation @ 25secs in are the thing! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQkXu3Kdz7A

If we could only get the devs to port from this Githhub coded Blender plugin project

we'll be in seventh heaven,also along with Olivers Great Tools more Pipelish in Houndini

capability we become but with our easier well loved front end. Flip-Fluids is the way..to go now!
    Oh i would be a very happy bunny. Flip for Blender is only $76. You can export from it as well.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2018.4

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Not sure what the GTX drivers is called..pascal? have to check.
    GTX 1080 with latest game drivers.
    1080 is Pascal-based gfx hw (Pascal refers to the family of GPUs, of which 1080 is one).
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.5),32GB RAM, NV 1080ti

A.K.A "The Silver Fox" Gungho3D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vonpietro View Post
    Hi,
    Whats the best way to make a nice ocean.
    I have been trying to use the new primative type to create the waves, but I need some help with the nodes.
    Trying crumple procedural to start
    LW has been able to create fairly credible water-scapes for some time, but I'm not sure there is a "one size fits all" solution at hand.

Some things you should map out first
    1. Size/scale of waterway - you've nominated "ocean"
    2. How much of the waterway is in view - your test renders suggest a "to the horizon" requirement

For the above, both the scale (ocean) as well as what you want to have in view (maybe 10km to the horizon) would tend to rule out the likes of
    1. The HOT Ocean (misleading name, should be "HOT small-ocean-section") plugin. It can create wonders if you bring your camera close enough to cover only a smaller portion of water but is useless for open ocean creation ...
    2. The use of a highly subdivided plane for purposes of physical displacement. This is great for up close shots, but doesn't scale well over large (to the horizon) distances
    ... although one solution has been to use a "radial" layout of polygons for one's "ocean", which means finely detailed subdivision remains near the center, but drops off with distance ...

Of course the other thing you may need sorted is:
    1. Do you want any (perceived or actual) interaction between your ocean and any other object you place inside camera view
    2. How close will your camera get to any such proposed interaction ...
    3. Possibly the cheap ($$) Blender FLIP Fluids solution, with option to export, could be a viable option

Your second render suggests at some point you want to leave an impression that some sort of this type of thing is taking place ...
    ----------
    None of the above is tied in to LW 2018, simply because LW 2018 does not extend ocean creating capability - meaning all the sneaky tricks we've used over many years to create oceans is still in play, including (if necessary) using the expensive, uber-capable solutions the big boys use and dazzle us with in the movies ...

Flip fluids in due time from blender..yeah.
    Meanwhile I am testing blenders ocean modifier, and you can save out fbx scenefile, then save out mdd file, and in lightwave load that in and then use mdd reader, change up vector to z (it depends on how you exported the mdd..there is settings as well in blender to change vectors before export)
    you may need to change vector cache units to -1 instead of one to flip the ocean right.

that will bring you an ocean in to lightwave that resembles hot ocean a bit...you would of course need to set the right resolution and sizing in blender initially.
    In blender you can bake foam maps out, comes out as exr, it can be loaded in as image sequence in lightwave, it works to load in..but I am still noobie to this process and have to research it a bit more.
    In image editor..make sure to change from still to sequence.
    Edit...
    My mistake so far, thought it was foam maps exported, but it was displacement maps...have to check more.
    There´s some ocean tutes for the blender modifier, but it may not be proper to post here...even though the purpose is to see how blender and lightwave can be used and maximized, if hot ocean is lacking somewhere.

flip fluids in blender are amazing.

good to hear they export - may be a solution for future workings.

FOr water - i switched to a sub D poly plane, and different texturing on the color channel, not even a bump.

Some composition changes - made the torri bigger for the boat to go through, and so now it's bigger than godzilla. May want to make godzilla even bigger but i'm not sure how tall he should be he keeps getting bigger in the movies, so i think i will have to research how big he was in the early films. I threw in a dc3 to date the image into early 50's, and nothing says JAPAN more than a torii

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ship8_post0000.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	3.70 MB 
ID:	142299

still needs some texture love on the boat and also on the plane and torii, almost no textures there. Also a ring around godzlias legs would be nice.

Make an image with the lw godzilla could be a good challange by the way if anyone is interested.
    Last edited by vonpietro; Today at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vonpietro View Post
    flip fluids in blender are amazing.

good to hear they export - may be a solution for future workings.

FOr water - i switched to a sub D poly plane, and different texturing on the color channel, not even a bump.

Some composition changes - made the torri bigger for the boat to go through, and so now it's bigger than godzilla. May want to make godzilla even bigger but i'm not sure how tall he should be he keeps getting bigger in the movies, so i think i will have to research how big he was in the early films. I threw in a dc3 to date the image into early 50's, and nothing says JAPAN more than a torii

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ship8_post0000.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	3.70 MB 
ID:	142299

still needs some texture love on the boat and also on the plane and torii, almost no textures there. Also a ring around godzlias legs would be nice.

Make an image with the lw godzilla could be a good challange by the way if anyone is interested.
    Looks quite decent now, much better than the primitive.
    just needs some more GI, especially or do ambient occlusion pass on it..especially on Godzilla, and perhaps create a larger wake area around him.
    Maybe att some low res people on that boat..unless they are supposed to be hiding in the tank a small detail that may get it to look more convincing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12