Thread: FiberFX Problem

FiberFX Problem

Hi.
    I haven't been here for many years but can't solve this one.

I am making a pair of shoes that have fur trims. Obviously I have only made one and then mirrored it to create the other one. I have put them on separate layers as they will have to move independantly when used in a movie. I have given each one its own separate UV and then taken them into layout.

In layout I have gone into Fiber FX and activated one of the shoes and applied the fur using the UV map and everything is fine. Then I try to do the same thing with the other shoe, but when I click the activate button the tick that appears in the left hand column is red not black and the fur trim does not appear.

I have even split the pair into separate object files but still no good.

Also whichever shoe I activate first, works and the other one doesn't, so it is not a fault with either shoe, just both together.

Lightwave 11.6.3 Windows 7

Any help would be much appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	142228
    Last edited by Arnie D; 07-13-2018 at 02:32 AM.

What is your alert level set to in Layout? If less than "high", try setting it to "high" and seeing if an error msg appears?
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 1080ti

A suggestion, try giving the surfaces on each boot, if they are separate objects, unique names. Lightwave has had a tendency to get confused when different objects have common names. Not so much the renderer, but FiberFX can be one of the more touchy areas of Lightwave.

I'll fire up 11.6.3 later tonight, and see what I can find out.
    --------
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

If you have already constructed one complete shoe with fur, then why duplicate it in modeler?

Send it to Layout and clone it. The FiberFX should work just fine on the clone after you activate them (might have to mess with VPR to get it to actually show up the first time) and bingo, you have two separate shoe objects with fur.

Quote Originally Posted by RPSchmidt View Post
    If you have already constructed one complete shoe with fur, then why duplicate it in modeler?

Send it to Layout and clone it.
    What precisely do you mean by this -- how do you plan to mirror the geometry?

The "-1 X scale" trick doesn't appear to work for instancing, or at least there doesn't appear to be an obvious way to limit the -100% scale to just X.
    Last edited by jwiede; 07-13-2018 at 06:29 PM.
    John W.

Wow I didn't expect such prompt replies, thank you everyone.

I managed to find the remedy. When one shoe is selected all the surfaces of that shoe are sselected in FFX. I had assumed that selecting the second shoe would also select all the surfaces of that shoe. Apparently not, you have to go in and select those surfaces manually. Having done that, everything is now working. I also saw that you can deselect surfaces that don't have any FFX on them which I did not know and I wonder if there is any point like lower rendering times.

Anyhow thanks again for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    What precisely do you mean by this -- how do you plan to mirror the geometry?

The "-1 X scale" trick doesn't appear to work for instancing, or at least there doesn't appear to be an obvious way to limit the -100% scale to just X.
    I misspoke about clone, forgot about the need to mirror it.

Use Multiply > Duplicate > Mirror and pick an axis.

Quote Originally Posted by RPSchmidt View Post
    I misspoke about clone, forgot about the need to mirror it.
    Dang, was really hoping you'd figured out a way to easily mirror instance geometry.

Hmm, perhaps something with nodal controls... will let everyone know if I figure something out, but I'm getting skeptical at this point.
    John W.