Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LWO3 and Unreal 4.x

LWO3 and Unreal 4.x

Does Unreal 4.x crash and burn when loading/importing the new LW 2018 LWO3 version objects? I know LW 2015.x and before does, for obvious reasons. Just wondering if Epic has updated Unreal for LWO3 support yet (I don't have Unreal, but a contractor does, but we haven't given them our new model done in 2018... asking ahead of time so that if I have to, I can export it to LWO2).
    Dean A. Scott, mfa
    Senior 3D Animator and Graphic Design Illustrator, @ Astec, Inc.
    Owner / Lead Artist @ chrusion | FX

Visualization FreeLance THIBAULT's Avatar
    Working with FBX here and haven't any problems !

Yeah, that would be my backup format.
    Dean A. Scott, mfa

No it shouldn't be your backup format, it should be your primary format.

The only other application that I know of that supports LWO3 right now is Modo. Which is handy since Modo has proper Unreal and Unity exports.

I'm fairly sure that UE4 does not come with an LWO loader. It isn't listed in the import, nor mentioned in the source code. Maybe the contractor is using a 3rd party plugin?

---JvdL---

A.K.A "The Silver Fox" Gungho3D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    No it shouldn't be your backup format, it should be your primary format.

The only other application that I know of that supports LWO3 right now is Modo. Which is handy since Modo has proper Unreal and Unity exports.
    Hrgiger - I am having success with getting LW-2018 into Unity 3D via .fbx, and that includes textured surfaces and animations.

Noting your words: "proper Unreal and Unity exports," is there anything which Modo does in addition to the 2018->Fbx->Unity path?

Thanks in advance ...

Quote Originally Posted by Gungho3D View Post
    Hrgiger - I am having success with getting LW-2018 into Unity 3D via .fbx, and that includes textured surfaces and animations.

Noting your words: "proper Unreal and Unity exports," is there anything which Modo does in addition to the 2018->Fbx->Unity path?

Thanks in advance ...
    Among other benefits, it facilitates easy conversion of materials into proper Unity/Unreal materials.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Among other benefits, it facilitates easy conversion of materials into proper Unity/Unreal materials.
    Thanks John

I'm assuming by proper conversion of materials you mean something beyond the current LW-2018->.FBX->Unity solution
    - E.g. Fbx gets me just LW's "color" texture (Unity's "albedo") into Unity. But the full gamut of bump / reflection / etc etc mapping does not come across
    - ... which, via the .Fbx path, I then have to set up manually in Unity

If you don't mind my asking, how does Modo handle this? I'm thinking not just "it does xyz", but also the whole workflow thing ...

I bought Modo 10 as a means of future-proofing, back when communication from NT was, well, "marginal" is a kind word. Since then I have done nothing with the product beyond "install and fiddle" - maybe it can finally be put to good use?

Beyond having support for the latest FBX 2018, you have presets for both Unreal and Unity in both static and animation with many options for things like tripling your mesh, morph maps, normal tangents, etc...and this applies to the type of normal map you are creating in addition to fbx files.

You also have smoothing groups and vertex normal smoothing.

What Jwiede was mentioning is about Modo having Unreal and Unity shaders. You also have a rounded edge shader which can be used to round your edges and bake those to a normal map. The baking tools are also quite good.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FBX.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	586.5 KB 
ID:	142227

Quote Originally Posted by Gungho3D View Post
    E.g. Fbx gets me just LW's "color" texture (Unity's "albedo") into Unity. But the full gamut of bump / reflection / etc etc mapping does not come across
    - ... which, via the .Fbx path, I then have to set up manually in Unity
    That is how Unity works; You bring in your .FBX, it has a material(s) in the file. You also bring in texture map files for Albedo, Metallic/Smoothness, Normals and assign them to that material. That is the workflow.

Beyond having support for the latest FBX 2018, you have presets for both Unreal and Unity in both static and animation with many options for things like tripling your mesh, morph maps, normal tangents, etc...and this applies to the type of normal map you are creating in addition to fbx files.

You also have smoothing groups and vertex normal smoothing.

What Jwiede was mentioning is about Modo having Unreal and Unity shaders. You also have a rounded edge shader which can be used to round your edges and bake those to a normal map. The baking tools are also quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHache View Post
    That is how Unity works; You bring in your .FBX, it has a material(s) in the file. You also bring in texture map files for Albedo, Metallic/Smoothness, Normals and assign them to that material. That is the workflow.
    Thanks guys, understood. I think for me Modo is going to stay in the box, I'll work to get a better handle on LW -> Unity first

3D Coat also supports LWO, if thatīs of any use.

Beyond having support for the latest FBX 2018, you have presets for both Unreal and Unity in both static and animation with many options for things like tripling your mesh, morph maps, normal tangents... smoothing groups and vertex normal smoothing.
    Now, Why can't LW's FBX IO be this impressive? 2018 that lacks fbx 2018... what a concept. > Well, at least they added fbx 2016's smoothing groups as the only available option to the interface. Should help the contractor, as that was a big sticking point for them in converting and retexturing LWO2 models to Unreal. Oh, Now I remember... they're using C4D to load LWO2, redefine smoothing groups, retexture (no image maps, just taking LW's basic color, spec, diffuse, and reflection and converting to PBDS materials), and exporting/linking to Unreal.
    Dean A. Scott, mfa

Quote Originally Posted by Chrusion View Post
    Now, Why can't LW's FBX IO be this impressive? 2018 that lacks fbx 2018... what a concept. > Well, at least they added fbx 2016's smoothing groups as the only available option to the interface. Should help the contractor, as that was a big sticking point for them in converting and retexturing LWO2 models to Unreal. Oh, Now I remember... they're using C4D to load LWO2, redefine smoothing groups, retexture (no image maps, just taking LW's basic color, spec, diffuse, and reflection and converting to PBDS materials), and exporting/linking to Unreal.
    Well other apps offer free extensions that transfers assets to UE with one click, there is no export needed. Their format is supported in Unity natively.

Then there is Alembic, FBX etc where other apps offer so much better integration or functionality.

It's mostly only LightWave that requires so many workarounds for everything.

However one should consider that LW is a cheap application in comparison, you get what you pay for.
    Last edited by Marander; 07-13-2018 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Well other apps offer free extensions that transfers assets to UE with one click, there is no export needed. Their format is supported in Unity natively.
    Yes, Modo already has an Unreal Bridge. They will be adding one for Unity as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast