Thread: Thank you Newtek for Lightwave 2018.

Thank you Newtek for Lightwave 2018.

I just wanted to take a minute and comment about my experience with LW2018 for the last 6 months. At the first of the year I put it through its paces on a high profile project for our marketing department and it surpassed all expectations in regards to stability and render quality. Simply put, the new material system and buffer system really shined. The one drawback to the buffer system was the need to add an ambient occlusion shader to every surface. Learning the new PBR was/is fun and I like how the devs have implemented it. The ease at which it is to get great looking renders is amazing. I spend a lot less time tweaking surfaces and I have been able to set up a standard start scene for our product rendering. The small additions to Modeler have been life savers, especially the layout/camera view. There have been a few issues, mostly related to long pauses when switching apps, but it looks like 2018.0.5 may have nipped that. Now granted I have spent my entire 3D career with LW and a little Modo, so I don't know how it compares to the likes of 3D Max and others, but LW does what we ask it to and at a really good value. Our company subscribes to the Autodesk Product Design and Mfg collection, which includes 3DSMax, but we elect to spend the money on LW and LWCad upgrades instead of using something we get for "free". I guess that says it all.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

See, post like this one. They need images!
    Motion graphics studio in Glasgow Work
    Glasgow Sound Design
    My own website in the making...

images >
    https://www.sauder.com/Home.aspx

  darn nice!
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    images >
    https://www.sauder.com/Home.aspx

  darn nice!

These are photos mostly as far as I can tell.
    Glasgow Sound Design

Quote Originally Posted by 50one View Post
    Good morning Mr Phelps. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, will be to pick a page from the Sauder website and identify all the images on it that you believe are photos and which are renders. Tim Parsons will then verify your findings.

This post will self-destruct in 5 seconds
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

If those are renders, then they indeed looking awesome!
    I like the details like overexposed windows and such, really sell the shots. Kudos.
    Glasgow Sound Design

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    I just wanted to take a minute and comment about my experience with LW2018 for the last 6 months. At the first of the year I put it through its paces on a high profile project for our marketing department and it surpassed all expectations in regards to stability and render quality. Simply put, the new material system and buffer system really shined. The one drawback to the buffer system was the need to add an ambient occlusion shader to every surface. Learning the new PBR was/is fun and I like how the devs have implemented it. The ease at which it is to get great looking renders is amazing. I spend a lot less time tweaking surfaces and I have been able to set up a standard start scene for our product rendering. The small additions to Modeler have been life savers, especially the layout/camera view. There have been a few issues, mostly related to long pauses when switching apps, but it looks like 2018.0.5 may have nipped that. Now granted I have spent my entire 3D career with LW and a little Modo, so I don't know how it compares to the likes of 3D Max and others, but LW does what we ask it to and at a really good value. Our company subscribes to the Autodesk Product Design and Mfg collection, which includes 3DSMax, but we elect to spend the money on LW and LWCad upgrades instead of using something we get for "free". I guess that says it all.
    it's great to hear that. But it's so difficult to me, clean the noise in the image, the only way that i found is have long time render, like half an hour per frame, imagine render a sequence of 60 seconds, 1800 frames, one month only render one minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Qexit View Post
    Good morning Mr Phelps. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, will be to pick a page from the Sauder website and identify all the images on it that you believe are photos and which are renders. Tim Parsons will then verify your findings.

This post will self-destruct in 5 seconds
    If those are renders, then they indeed looking awesome!
    I like the details like overexposed windows and such, really sell the shots. Kudos.
    Everything on the website is photography. The high profile project that I referred to was to see if 3D rendering could replace or supplement photography. Our company has been doing photography forever and we have 3 full time photographers on staff plus a multitude of support personnel with 3 large studios and one huge warehouse to store all the props and furniture that is in queue. Management had heard a lot about IKEA rendering and wanted to investigate it for our organization. We ran a parallel test with the photo group and I receiving the exact same shot list, the results were very well received.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	422980 with 422981-544-00 M-Small.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	820.7 KB 
ID:	142202Click image for larger version. 

Name:	422981_LibraryBase_with422980_Hutch_544-00 M-Small.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	142203
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com