Thread: Anyone Using SMEDGE? Need some help

Anyone Using SMEDGE? Need some help

Looking at some alternatives for different reasons. Have used another product for many years. I'm giving smedge a try but running into a problem that is probably easy for someone that knows. The command that LWSN.exe is getting throws an error of "Can't open scene file." It must be in how smedge has setup the command sequence or something. I know the file is there and my other product renders it just fine.

Thoughts? Below is a screen shot of what I am seeing. Top black section is a command prompt I paste the command into, to double check what it shows. The gray highlighted is from smedge itself in it's logs and the notpad at bottom is the actual command I paste into the command prompt from smedge.

Thanks for any thoughts.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smedge-error.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	180.5 KB 
ID:	142159

Quote Originally Posted by tcoursey View Post
    Looking at some alternatives for different reasons. Have used another product for many years. I'm giving smedge a try but running into a problem that is probably easy for someone that knows. The command that LWSN.exe is getting throws an error of "Can't open scene file." It must be in how smedge has setup the command sequence or something. I know the file is there and my other product renders it just fine.

Thoughts? Below is a screen shot of what I am seeing. Top black section is a command prompt I paste the command into, to double check what it shows. The gray highlighted is from smedge itself in it's logs and the notpad at bottom is the actual command I paste into the command prompt from smedge.

Thanks for any thoughts.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smedge-error.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	180.5 KB 
ID:	142159
    Looks like it was the EXTRA QUOTES around the Content Directory for some reason. I updated the template Smedge was using after finding that worked when I typied it manually into the cmd prompt. Strange...

Now I can test this package against my other and see who wins for me...

I used the old and simple Lightnet for yeras (decades, I guess!) and when I needed more control I tried several others. Smedge was my favorite several years ago and loved it due to the easy setup and the simplicity of adding scenes. It also had some useful statistics. I found it to be way better than the ubiquitous Butterfly Netrender (I can't explain why, it just gets on my nerves), less complicated than Deadline and the likes, or Royal Manager(?) and I know it got better over the years, even if I don't use it since at least the last 4 or 5 years.

Please share your findings!
    _____
    /- /|/| 3D Animation and Special Effects

Quote Originally Posted by VirtualFM View Post
    I used the old and simple Lightnet for yeras (decades, I guess!) and when I needed more control I tried several others. Smedge was my favorite several years ago and loved it due to the easy setup and the simplicity of adding scenes. It also had some useful statistics. I found it to be way better than the ubiquitous Butterfly Netrender (I can't explain why, it just gets on my nerves), less complicated than Deadline and the likes, or Royal Manager(?) and I know it got better over the years, even if I don't use it since at least the last 4 or 5 years.

Please share your findings!
    Yea I found myself leaning towards BNR because I felt the others were oddly setup/configured/complicated for me..to each their own! I like some things about smedge now that I have it going/working. It seems to have a lot of deep controls and configs that can make it what you want...in that way those it's quite complicated to get working how you might want. A simple check for frames before starting a scene can't be done easily from what I can tell.

I think I will be back with Butterfly in no time, Paul is great and the product for Lightwave has been the best for us, not sure how it fares for other platforms in that respect. But for Lightwave it's been a real treat.