Thread: NDI KVM seems a little confusing

NDI KVM seems a little confusing

Around the time I was reading up on NDI 3.5 I also got very excited reading about NDI KVM and the possibilities that might open up.

I now understand that it's capabilities are not quite how I perceived. Not really KVM either. It sounds like it's a lot more like a remote control for your TriCaster.

But what if there really was an NDI KVM also.
    Using Studio Monitor for example you could interact or take control of any NDI enabled PC on the network, granted you had pre-determined credentials, or in the event of a new machine appearing on the network (a guest presenter) they could grant you one time access.

I numerous scenarios where I think this could be great:
    1 - Just as a regular KVM replacement with much simpler cabling, though technically it would be working more like RDC (Remote Desktop Connection).
    2 - Controlling multiple PCs on my network that are headless.
    3 - Digital Signage. Being able to log on to 'Players' on the network to make changes updates.
    4 - Presentation Rack. I have this dream right now of building a 3 or 4 machine presentation rack, ideally it would be headless on the PC front. Then I'd be able to look at the outputs from the machines on an NDI MultiViewer, then just use mouse focus or shortcuts to bring that machine to focus to interact with it, or temporarily bring it full screen to work with it.

Scenario 4 would be an absolute dream come true for me. $ Machines Dual Head on a MultiViewer setup, could make my life a lot easier.

Thoughts?

Ross

Quote Originally Posted by RossMcIntosh View Post
    Not really KVM either. It sounds like it's a lot more like a remote control for your TriCaster.
    I have this running right now, and - once the KVM launches (that is, as soon as TriCaster automatically runs), I have full control. I can exit even to Windows, and do whatever I like. The one thing I can't do, since it's not running until TC launches, is reboot and log into Windows.

Using Studio Monitor for example you could interact or take control of any NDI enabled PC on the network, granted you had pre-determined credentials, or in the event of a new machine appearing on the network (a guest presenter) they could grant you one time access.
    A general purpose NDI KVM is an interesting proposition, but true - this isn't quite that.

4 - Presentation Rack. I have this dream right now of building a 3 or 4 machine presentation rack, ideally it would be headless on the PC front. Then I'd be able to look at the outputs from the machines on an NDI MultiViewer, then just use mouse focus or shortcuts to bring that machine to focus to interact with it, or temporarily bring it full screen to work with it.
    Studio Monitor 3-5 makes it pretty easy to remotely configure multiple instances running on different units. You can freely change the NDI sources and overlay config for each instance from a webpage on another system (say, and iPad or laptop). This doesn't give you control over the remote sources themselves, but if (for example) you are running a TriCaster with LivePanel, you've already got control of a bunch of remote sources (with a VMC1, this could be a very large number of sources, actually).
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I think there is some terminology that might be getting extended to other things.

KVM = Keyboard, Video and Mouse

Then you can have things like KVM Extension, KVM Switch or a KVM Matrix.

From that standpoint, I think NDI KVM makes sense, it sends keyboard, mouse commands along with the video display thru a NDI connection.

I too would love to see NDI KVM appear on other products. (Connect NC1 boxes would be my first vote!)
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.