Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3D model resell Question??

Blog Entries

Question 3D model resell Question??

I built a in lightwave.
    A person wants to buy it.
    What do i need to do so they will not resell or redistribute the model?
    Is there anything i can do?

Mike
    Intel Core i7-980, OC 4.7ghz water cooled.
    Gigabyte x58-UD3R with an Intell SSD 180GIG
    RamCorsair-DDR3-1600-32GIG
    Nvidia Titan Z, x 2 And 1 GTX-1080 by Gigabyte.
    4xEnterprise/WDVelociRaptorŪ300gig

Your ability to protect the IP of a model is kind of limited. You can put hidden watermarks into the textures, or steganographically sign them somehow, but it's actually quite difficult to embed info in the geometry itself which won't just be stripped by conversion.

One thing you can do is put hidden "internal geometry" at very, very small scale into it somewhere out of sight, intended to be a unique "signature" that the model is yours. Then if you find the model on other sites or such, you can reference that hidden geometry (if still present, it's a fairly easy method to defeat). Another variant is to modify the poly flow in some out of the way area (and in a manner that isn't visually obvious, impacts deformation if relevant, etc.) in a fairly unique/atypical manner, again to use as a "signature" -- this too is a fairly easy method to defeat.

A slightly different approach would be to simultaneously put the item for sale at a site like TurboSquid, in order to establish in public view that the model is indeed your own IP. If the customer subsequently tried to claim it, you would be able to indicate significant overlap between the geometry of the TurboSquid model and their model as indication it was either a copy of your IP or directly derived from your IP. From a legal standpoint, this is a fairly solid option, combined with proper contract with customer stating they have no resale/redistribution rights, and non-exclusive use rights.

As I said, due to the way many of the older "standard" formats are constructed, there is little you can do currently to truly "sign" or mark the geometry data in a unique manner, and ensure that info remains across format conversions, etc.

Hope this helps! If I can help further on this, please feel free to reach out via PM or here.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Blog Entries
    thank you

mike

You could write a request for a new feature to encrypt the LWO file + add an additional data block to the LWO file with meta data.

The meta data could be used and unlocked in Modeler and Layout by an internal key and an external key that has been tied to dongle IDīs.

The meta data could include copyrights information, contact info, and the permissions for copy/paste, rendering, loading, saving, ...

Perhaps not suitable for using models in 3rd party applications.
    Maybe not 100% perfect but it would improve protection.

yea, its now almost impossible to stop people doing that, most companies used to side with the creator, and I had a few times where I was easily able to get models removed, and I some cases they even handed over the profit to me as I was able to prove the EULA was through Foundation3d, but a lot of the companies have gone the other way, I recently tried to get turbosquid to take a bunch of models down, even though I have the originals (in my turbosquid account I might add!) and they basically told me where to go, and now turbosquid also own most the other 3d warehouses on the net,
    so now when you sell a model you have to price it in a way that it covers those type of situations, i.e. they are buying a licence, so your best bet is to sell it through somewhere like turbosquid, and attach specific licence types to different costs, that way its down to turbosquid to stop the end user and protect you (you can set a low price for personal use, I high price for full control etc)
    Intel i7 5960X Extreme, Asus Rampage V extreme, 3x 4gb NVIDIA Geforce GTX970, 32GB DDR4 2666 corsair dominator
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Quote Originally Posted by vncnt View Post
    You could write a request for a new feature to encrypt the LWO file + add an additional data block to the LWO file with meta data.

The meta data could be used and unlocked in Modeler and Layout by an internal key and an external key that has been tied to dongle IDīs.

The meta data could include copyrights information, contact info, and the permissions for copy/paste, rendering, loading, saving, ...

Perhaps not suitable for using models in 3rd party applications.
    Maybe not 100% perfect but it would improve protection.
    Until the user converts it to OBJ or FBX or whatever and that metadata, which isn't supported by the other formats, is lost. Therein lies the problem, it's very difficult to ensure the metadata stays associated with the model in all cases, which is why having some kind of "in-band" signature is so important.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

You could provide the model with frozen subd and maybe triangulated as fbx.

Blog Entries
    I spent well over a year making this model..

The person wants me to export it as FBX format. ok.

They want the model to make a animation for a bid for a construction job.

I told him the price of the model and scene in Question.

Have not heard back yet..

The Model, Manitowoc 31000 Crawler Crane ( $31,000,000.00 USD) for the real one.

https://www.manitowoccranes.com/en/c...crawlers/31000

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Manitowoc_31000_011.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	142050

Name:	Manitowoc_31000_004.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	2.41 MB 
ID:	142051

Name:	Manitowoc_31000_007.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	142052

I said the model and scene for $600.00 USD, Before I release it.. hmmmm

mike

just model your email / Copyright Đ code into the model itself (at a microscopic level)

other than that, there is of course little that you can do,
    than to hunt down 3d pages that sell objects to verify that your object is not re-sold.

however like rustythe1 says, even then, it's tricky to remove it.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Scatter your name throughout the model, a letter here and there integrated into different pieces.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Don't know whether this is applicable....but do manitowoc cranes have any rights to the model being their product, if you are then selling it?
    Much the same way as if you built a disney character to sell, not sure about any of this 'legal stuff'.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019

do manitowoc cranes have any rights to the model being there product, if you are then selling it?
    possibly. BMW hunts down their 3D models (yes, true story)
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by zapper1998 View Post
    I spent well over a year making this model..
    Well that seems to me a too low price to ask for. Even if it's not a year of work, I would ask for $2-5k.

Yeah, way too low. Add one more digit.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by zapper1998 View Post

mike
    Seems very reasonable* to me. I'd "watermark" that puppy too, so if it gets released you'll know how distributed it.

*possibly "too" reasonable, but something is worth what somebody is willing to pay for it, and it won't make you any money sitting on your hard drive. Of course, sell it as many times as you can. Heck, try to get some animation money out if it too: how is the "client" ::cough:: going to use it? Are they animation savvy?
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 06-30-2018 at 02:02 PM.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast