Thread: At Home Broadcast

At Home Broadcast

I'm ready to get off the airplane. Who is producing sports and corporate events via an At Home workflow? I'd love to hear what works and doesn't. I read that recent Newtek article and I'm sold!

I'm currently looking into solutions for sending video and audio signals back home via LiveU & Medialooks. Then Unity Connect to tie things into our current Unity Server. Sounds soooo easy.... and yet I doubt it is!

I can also envision workflows where you ship the switcher/replay to the venue and then operate from home. I've done this now and then with Teamviewer, VNC... But it's always So-So.

Anyhow, I'd love to hear about your successes and war stories!

Until then I'll see you at the Airport, Hotel, or Venue!

Joe
    Blaze Streaming Media
    www.blazestreaming.com

The other night I was able to supervise a commentary recording (game pre-recorded, commentary done in post) from the comfort of my own home. I had the vision come back to me via NDI which also had the commentary audio embedded, and since our desk at the venue is digital I could work on that from home too. I used another PC connected to our desk for my producer channel for the guys. The NDI was mostly stable, but I did cop a couple of dropouts. No big deal. Certainly better than the drive!

So the "at home" model is becoming more of a realistic thing.

I know of several big companies doing it with success like ESPN at certain campus locationS on Fiber and also FOX with certain MLS broadcast.

I have not seen too many smaller productions be able to pull this off though. I have seen some testing that went well.

One smaller company I know that is doing this is Vista out of Florida. They send cameras and sometimes broadcasters out to the field and send the signals back via an encoder. The Vista crew then does the switching, replay, graphics and some time talent from the studio. They handle a lot of USL soccer games on ESPM+.

The production switcher looks pretty familiar in their blog post lol.
    https://www.uslsoccer.com/news_artic...dge-initiative
    https://www.uslsoccer.com/news_article/show/924355

The only thing I dont like is that this prevents it being a full scale production. You lose key things like tally and return feeds. Also no return program feed for the talent. Maybe technology will catch up and allow that soon. There is also a slight delay from the encoder to the control room. Director has to adjust to that.

At the end of the day if you could avoid travel cost and be able to downside I see the benefit but its always risky.
    Last edited by Radio_TVPat1982; 06-25-2018 at 12:09 PM.

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    So much crazy talk. You so crazy.

Joe, We should talk.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Check out Geoff Fox, who was doing weathercasts from his garage starting way before it was "easy":

https://www.newtek.com/blog/2016/03/...rom-geoff-fox/

There are a few other posts on the NewTek site, just do a search on his name.

It isn't quite the same as what you're looking to do but it may provide some interesting possibilities.

I want to do traffic reports, across the country, the same way as Geoff does weather.

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications
    Last edited by fgolman; 06-25-2018 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio_TVPat1982 View Post
    So the "at home" model is becoming more of a realistic thing.

I know of several big companies doing it with success like ESPN at certain campus locationS on Fiber and also FOX with certain MLS broadcast.

I have not seen too many smaller productions be able to pull this off though. I have seen some testing that went well.

One smaller company I know that is doing this is Vista out of Florida. They send cameras and sometimes broadcasters out to the field and send the signals back via an encoder. The Vista crew then does the switching, replay, graphics and some time talent from the studio. They handle a lot of USL soccer games on ESPM+.

The production switcher looks pretty familiar in their blog post lol.
    https://www.uslsoccer.com/news_artic...dge-initiative
    https://www.uslsoccer.com/news_article/show/924355

The only thing I dont like is that this prevents it being a full scale production. You lose key things like tally and return feeds. Also no return program feed for the talent. Maybe technology will catch up and allow that soon. There is also a slight delay from the encoder to the control room. Director has to adjust to that.

At the end of the day if you could avoid travel cost and be able to downside I see the benefit but its always risky.

Circling back to this to add in some comments from our experiences building and deploying At Home and REMI setups.

Our production division LiveSports does this sort of thing now pretty much every week. The big difference between the way we do things and the current AtHome/REMI operations is we do not try and transport ALL the video and audio signals back to home base. Our secret is bring the control back using remote control software like Teamviewer and true over IP KVM solutions from Adder and BlackBox. By doing this the remote operations staff can work on any machine at the remote sites. The next big thing we do different is we can control the cameras themselves completely from offsite. That alone makes a huge difference in the staffing requirements at the event. The other ATHOME and REMI setups still use all the same camera ops and a few engineering folks onsite. Our investment in IP controlled robotic heads and cameras was a key factor when planning to move this direction of remotely operating the cameras. Not having to bring multiple video streams over the public internet helps us keep our quality as high as possible. We produce everything in 4K onsite. There is no feasible way to transport 8-10 4K streams back to the NOC in Texas. So we still stream and send out the broadcast from the site. We just share a large amount of the operations side back to our NOC. This simplifies our internet requirements onsite greatly. We boosted our required speeds and duplicated those connections for more redundancy.

There is lots and lots of little things that can bite you going down this route. You just have to plan for them and put backups upon backups into place. In case of a major internet failure, We just like the others, can fall back to normal operations onsite if necessary. It is not all about saving money on productions. Honestly I believe I have spent more on developing this remote model than if I just kept doing things the old way of sending people here and there. Our staff loves this workflow we are developing because it gives them a higher quality of life instead of spending all their time traveling and on the road. That means better staff retention and a happier home life. Remember the saying Happy wife equals Happy Life.

My time is limited at the moment and I would rather not publicly just lay this all out there since I have invested a considerable amount of time and resources in this. Anyone interested in doing this in the future, feel free to reach out to me directly and we can work something out for consulting.
    Last edited by PIZAZZ; 06-26-2018 at 09:01 AM.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams

I guess it is safe to assume the Beast and Bus are still traveling the roads!

Jef, I think you are headed my way to Atlanta in a few weeks. I'd love to see the current setup in person.....

Your way of doing it is certainly a 180 from VISTA but in many ways its it better. I am not a fan of double encoding something. Especially sports, where you tend to get that trailing of the ball come through on screen. You method would seem to nix that since its still all physically ran on site technically.

Ugh. Sitting here on a 5 hour flight delay....

Jef: I see a lot of wisdom in your workflow. I've been skeptical that sending multiple compressed signals back home was the right workflow. The flypack in the venue method allows for less bandwidth and a fallback workflow when needed. Most of my accounts will require a traveling engineer, I'm just trying to keep some directors and replay operators home. Thus, the engineer can travel, setup, and tech in with the directing crew. If things go bad... well the engineer is now the onsite director :-)

If I ever get home I'll reach out and we can talk about consulting my team as we get up to speed on nimble REMI workflows .

Cheers!

Joe Christensen
    Blaze Streaming Media
    www.blazestreaming.com

Quote Originally Posted by pdxJoe View Post
    Ugh. Sitting here on a 5 hour flight delay....

Jef: I see a lot of wisdom in your workflow. I've been skeptical that sending multiple compressed signals back home was the right workflow. The flypack in the venue method allows for less bandwidth and a fallback workflow when needed. Most of my accounts will require a traveling engineer, I'm just trying to keep some directors and replay operators home. Thus, the engineer can travel, setup, and tech in with the directing crew. If things go bad... well the engineer is now the onsite director :-)

If I ever get home I'll reach out and we can talk about consulting my team as we get up to speed on nimble REMI workflows .

Cheers!

Joe Christensen
    Exactly my way of thinking Joe. I will be back myself from overseas after next week.
    Let's get together and visit then.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Radio_TVPat1982 View Post
    I guess it is safe to assume the Beast and Bus are still traveling the roads!

Jef, I think you are headed my way to Atlanta in a few weeks. I'd love to see the current setup in person.....

Your way of doing it is certainly a 180 from VISTA but in many ways its it better. I am not a fan of double encoding something. Especially sports, where you tend to get that trailing of the ball come through on screen. You method would seem to nix that since its still all physically ran on site technically.
    Yes, Pat we are headed that way again pretty soon. You definitely need to stop by. I will be onsite most of the Atlanta event. Shoot me an email and we will coordinate a show and tell.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams