Thread: Thoughts on system becoming unstable

Thoughts on system becoming unstable

About six weeks ago, I was in the middle of a live program when the entire 8000 completely locked up on me. After about 30 seconds, it was live again, but all video, recordings and streaming during that time were completely stopped (note, they picked up OK, albeit with a black interval and then some lip sync issues).

I attributed it to fate, although that was basically the first time that had ever occurred on my system.

I was running 5-1-180125, as I hadn't had time to update to 5-1-180323.

But, with that hiccup in mind, and a few other issues, I bit the bullet last week and did the update.

During the course of the week, we had a BSOD while the system was just idle.

And today, I came it to find it completely frozen.

This is quite worrying, alone. Tonight's program featured another brief drop to black and loss of audio after about five minutes into my live show.

Any thoughts on this?

Would appreciate any feedback on similar experiences others have had, and how they solved the problem.

Additional note: I did not create a new session as everything prior seemed to check out fine (I was actually pleasantly surprised that it seemed to pick up all presets, macros, etc, without any issues).

Thank you!

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications

We find that the older our units get the more this stuff happens. Never found a fix because it's sporadic enough that it can't be reliably reproduced.

I always start with are the hard drives. Remove or replace all of the drives from the bays to see if that helps. Drives will eventually fail, and depending on how the fail, they can cause lots of issues, beyond just storage problems.

After that a restore is always a good place to start.

If you are still having issues, then a call into NewTek support would be in order.

I'm not recommending this for all users, but If the unit it out of warranty and you are confident working with computer components, then reseating RAM or the cards might be a good things to check. Also look if all of the fans are still running, which could lead to thermal issues. After that you get to replacing components. if you aren't conformable working with computer components, you really should work with NewTek support or a dealer that can repair systems.

If you have been thinking of upgrading to a new model, it doesn't matter the status of the unit, even a non functioning TriCaster unit qualifies for a trade in.
    Last edited by kanep; 06-25-2018 at 09:55 AM.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

I would first check the Windows system and application logs to see if there are any clues as to what happened from Windows perspective during the time you were experiencing the problem. It might lead you to the system component that is failing.
    Rob Safran
    Satori Seven Productions
    rob@sharewisdom.tv

TriCaster: 460 AE, TC1
    TalkShow: VS4000
    Gnural Net CM & LTA
    NDI Transmit
    VSE and LiveText
    Camera: 2-Sony PMW-X70, Sony PXW-Z150

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    I always start with are the hard drives. Remove or replace all of the drives from the bays to see if that helps. Drives will eventually fail, and depending on how the fail, they can cause lots of issues, beyond just storage problems.

After that a restore is always a good place to start.

If you are still having issues, then a call into NewTek support would be in order.

I'm not recommending this for all users, but If the unit it out of warranty and you are confident working with computer components, then reseating RAM or the cards might be a good things to check. Also look if all of the fans are still running, which could lead to thermal issues. After that you get to replacing components. if you aren't conformable working with computer components, you really should work with NewTek support or a dealer that can repair systems.

If you have been thinking of upgrading to a new model, it doesn't matter the status of the unit, even a non functioning TriCaster unit qualifies for a trade in.
    I'm not the OP but am experiencing similar issues with my older Tricaster 300 model. I've replaced many HD's in PC's. Can you just clone the C drive? If I do that, what do you think about replacing the C system drive with an SSD drive?
    All the best,

Bill Hibbler
    Gigtime Media
    http://www.BillHibbler.com
    Tricaster TCXD300 w LC-11
    Panasonic AG-HMC-150 + Canon Vixia HF S20's
    Black Magic HDMI to SDI Converters w BNC Cables

C is already SSD from factory.

Attached is the BSOD today if anyone has any insight into its cryptic information. Unfortunately, nothing logged at the time of failure. HOWEVER, and likely unrelated, dozens of messages logged with Bonjour errors. Not sure if perhaps a stack might be overflowing with these.

Additional testing this afternoon/evening. Has been on continuously since 1 PM CT at Windows desktop without a hiccup.

I'll plan on opening up unit (I work on PCs regularly, so that doesn't intimidate me) and blowing out any dust, reseating cards/memory/disk drives, if another failure happens.

Fritz Golman

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180625_132839.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	3.03 MB 
ID:	142020

Did some quick Googling. Nothing specific, that STOP error comes up many times for a 1394 issue, but I doubt that is the problem. If it is running at the desktop without issue, I'd recommend testing in TriCaster, it will put a lot more resources in use on the system.

Just a guess, but the graphics card would be probably what I'd focus on first. TriCaster puts the GPU thru a lot more processing than you will get sitting at the Windows desktop.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by fgolman View Post
    C is already SSD from factory.
    On your machine but not on my TCXD300. I heard back from support and Newtek and SSD won't work in it. Good luck with yours!
    All the best,

Bill Hibbler
    Gigtime Media
    http://www.BillHibbler.com
    Tricaster TCXD300 w LC-11
    Panasonic AG-HMC-150 + Canon Vixia HF S20's
    Black Magic HDMI to SDI Converters w BNC Cables

I had a similar issue.
    Im working with Tricaster Mini 4-SDI.
    When I'm recording over 4 hours stream on my Tricasters internal drives then after that period of time sometimes it freezes for ~10s and interface glitches.
    Then it unfreezes but recording is off and some times I can start it again or I need to do a restart.

Solution from me:
    Because of this problem I tried to record my streams on external HDD with USB3 and it works ok.
    Uldis Reiters | LV | u.reiters@gmail.com
    Ghetto TV - camera operator, editor, project manager.
    Find me on:
    1. IG
    2. FB

SO, not totally convinced yet that I solved the problem.

Opened up the 8000 and reseated memory, graphics card and various non-glued down cables.

Has run 24 hours without a hiccup, so far.

And, this gave me the impetus to clean up some of the cabling, too!

Will report back either way, but if this did the trick I'll be very happy.

Fritz Golman

PS #1, There are a number of nifty little utilities I found to read the BSOD dump. I'd recommend the NiriSoft one, as I've used some of their other tools and they're solid.

PS #2, Just posted about Chicago/Midwest TriCaster users group meeting here, July 25 at 6 PM. Details in that post.
    Last edited by fgolman; 06-30-2018 at 11:46 AM.

Think I might have narrowed it down to a RAM strip going bad.

I'm not totally surprised, I've had many systems at client sites around the country and other than power supplies and an occasional hard disk, the only thing that has gone bad consistently has been RAM.

Luckily, this is one of the easiest things to fix.

What are the specs for the 2x8 GB strips in the system? I'll order replacements and we'll see if that does the trick …

Fritz Golman