Thread: Model not updating in layout

Model not updating in layout

All of a sudden I think I've lost my mind. It seems that when I have had modeler and layout open at the same time in the past, I could modify the model and switch to layout and the model would automatically update with the changes. This appears to be no longer working. Hub is running and seems to be working.

Any clues? I am having a major brain-fart on this one. Stupidly simple answer, I'm sure. Lightwave 10.0.

Thanks!

Have you tried the update layout button in modeller before going back to Layout.
    I know this was an issue with earlier versions of LW2018 (now fixed). My workaround at the time was to re-save the model and it would update in Layout.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.12 RX580 Pulse LW2018 Fusion 9 Oculus Rift Gear VR

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    FWIW, I've always found that SAVING in LWM updates Layout reliably.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Moot Point Now

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    FWIW, I've always found that SAVING in LWM updates Layout reliably.

Yea did all the stuff from both replies and no cigar. Just deleted and added the model back in. Had a bit of a hassle with scaling and position but all is well now. Strange, thanks for the feedback.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by sdilling View Post
    Yea did all the stuff from both replies and no cigar. Just deleted and added the model back in. Had a bit of a hassle with scaling and position but all is well now. Strange, thanks for the feedback.
    If you can get it to repeat, submit a bug report. It's not so bad if it's not rigged or animated, but it would suck if it was.

I don't think a bug for LW10 will be fixed now.......

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    But it might PERSIST up to this version.

Good point.....

While you may not have updated LW, Windows may have been updated over the years. Evolving Windows tech like the firewall and UAC (aka "needing to run older apps in admin mode") may cause older software to be quirky. Make sure the apps (layout/hub/modeler) can run without these newer restrictions.
    LW7.5D, LW2015.3, LW2018.0.x running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by sdilling View Post
    All of a sudden I think I've lost my mind. It seems that when I have had modeler and layout open at the same time in the past, I could modify the model and switch to layout and the model would automatically update with the changes. This appears to be no longer working. Hub is running and seems to be working.

Any clues? I am having a major brain-fart on this one. Stupidly simple answer, I'm sure. Lightwave 10.0.

Thanks!
    IIRC, LW10 was the initial incarnation (hmm, or maybe was 9.5/9.6, anyway...) of then-new "hubless" cross-app updating mechanism. It did require certain flags to be provided in cmd line args (in icon, see docs) to tell LW to use it. Otherwise, if the hub was running LW used the hub, and if hub wasn't running and cmd line changes weren't present LW behaved as if no hub (== no auto-updating between apps).

Hub was notoriously problematic thus the introduction of then-new approach that didn't rely on hub. However, if hub is running, LW uses hub preferentially over other system, so (IIRC, again) you have to both have cmd line mods and NOT be running the hub (another LW cmd line change in Windows) in order to use the then-new hubless mechanism. I'm pretty sure that's what you're remembering (your description fits how it worked).

Maybe you had the cmd line changes once upon a time, but the shortcuts associated with those changes got deleted?
    Last edited by jwiede; 06-25-2018 at 08:14 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.5),32GB RAM, NV 1080ti