Thread: Turning DSKs on/off for PGM bus output

Turning DSKs on/off for PGM bus output

Recently, we've been encountering shows that need separate versions of what were cutting on the program bus sent to different outputs. Thanks to Facebook's and YouTube's commercial policy, we find ourself sending PGM output with commercials to one streaming service and another version with a slate covering the commercials to FB and YT. In another case, we've been asked to send different graphics packages to separate outputs (larger graphics to a jumbotron, more detailed graphics to YouTube).

Yes, it is possible to do a workaround with MEs and macros. Currently we're taking PGM or PGM clean on Output 1 and looping it back in and add what we need on an ME by synching it to the PGM bus with macros. That's great until your session gets corrupted a few minutes before showtime and you find yourself rebuilding complex macros seconds before a show.

I think it would be better if you could turn each DSK channel on/off on each output when selecting PGM as your source. It's like PGM clean but with some DSKs removed instead of all. I know it's a feature on Grass Valley switchers. I'd love to see it on the TriCaster.

What model TriCaster, and SE or AE software? Using Automation features available for every source with AE machine, it could be set to turn any DSK or Keyer ON/OFF automatically quite easily when a certain source hits PGM. Should be no need to ever "rebuild" a macro, since you can Export/Import to save/recover them.

As for looping PGM back into machine - could you not instead use color grouping between main switcher and an M/E so they mimic one another for switching, but have different keys applied via DSKs/Keyers?

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Quote Originally Posted by JPulera View Post
    What model TriCaster, and SE or AE software?
    We're using a TC1 and 860 AE2

As for looping PGM back into machine - could you not instead use color grouping between main switcher and an M/E so they mimic one another for switching, but have different keys applied via DSKs/Keyers?
    The problem with the color grouping is that it doesn't reproduce fades, wipes, comp effects, etc. on the ME when using those on the Program Bus. Yes, you can set up macros, but that can get out of hand really quickly for a complex show. I think turning DSKs on/off on the PGM bus for various output mixes would be simple and useful solution. I use that feature all the time when I use a Kayenne.

If you've got AE you can put PGM Mix output (via NDI) into a source now and put that into an ME for further downstream processing. Then, you just need a macro that covers the commercials on the ME. The PGM loop back has added a lot of capabilities for supplying different program outputs to different applications (EG, alternate languages, LIVE bugs, etc).

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications
    Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by fgolman View Post
    If you've got AE you can put PGM Mix output (via NDI) into a source now and put that into an ME for further downstream processing. Then, you just need a macro that covers the commercials on the ME. The PGM loop back has added a lot of capabilities for supplying different program outputs to different applications (EG, alternate languages, LIVE bugs, etc).

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications
    Chicago
    Yes, I understand. That's how we're doing it. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to do it without consuming an input and an ME, especially when you only have 4 on the TC1?

Is the ability to put an output mix into an input available on the TC1 as well? Does it show up with the local inputs?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMissingLink2 View Post
    Is the ability to put an output mix into an input available on the TC1 as well? Does it show up with the local inputs?
    You can take the MIX output and route it back in as an input on the TC1 via NDI.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.