Thread: Excellent results with Intel Compute Stick and NDI Studio Monitor app

Excellent results with Intel Compute Stick and NDI Studio Monitor app

I set up our main studio talent monitor with both it's normal composite input (as a backup up in case things didn't work out) and NDI (3.5) streamed via HDMI and an Intel Compute Stick on WiFi this evening.

I didn't tell the host of our show until the mid-show break what was going on … because it was so successful that I didn't want to spoil the surprise. Of course, I don't think he really understood what I was telling him all about digital video and so on ;-)

But, in a nutshell, it all went very, very well and I can highly endorse this new solution in our arsenal!

If you've got any questions as to how, please drop a line into this thread and I'll explain. But, it should be pretty self explanatory.

For a little more than $300, it's a bargain.

There's a lot to that little device and we're going to explore different use cases (some with NDI, some running locally stored video clips, etc).

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications

Product and Vertical Market Manager - Digital Broadcast
    I am glad it worked out for you Fritz. What video format are you using?
    Zane Condren
    NewTek Inc.
    new.tk/call

I've tried 720p, 1080i and 480i (16:9). I settled on the 480i as that was what all our composite monitors were using and I had that already set up on a mix output. Also figured that it would stress the WiFi less, too. It did look a little softer than either of the HD formats, but given that it's glanced at from across a room, I figured that the eyeballs were the weakest link, anyway!

I'll keep all posted on continuing efforts with it as we'll be doing quite a bit with these little guys over time.

Fritz

- - - Updated - - -

I've tried 720p, 1080i and 480i (16:9). I settled on the 480i as that was what all our composite monitors were using and I had that already set up on a mix output. Also figured that it would stress the WiFi less, too. It did look a little softer than either of the HD formats, but given that it's glanced at from across a room, I figured that the eyeballs were the weakest link, anyway!

I'll keep all posted on continuing efforts with it as we'll be doing quite a bit with these little guys over time.

Fritz

It might be useful to post the exact model of Compute stick you used.
    Zane Condren
    NewTek Inc.
    new.tk/call

Good thought:

Intel Compute Stick CS325 Computer with Core m3 processor (BOXSTK2m3W64CC), $324.

They also have an m5 processor based stick but unless you've got some serious crunching going on, you probably won't need that.

FYI, for those that are interested, I also tested it with a Dell ST2240 touch screen monitor. Win 10 recognizes it out of the box and you can easily set up a kiosk style interactive display for about $500 now! Potentially could be a nice way to run a Telestrator application, too.

Fritz

Fritz,

If you run into issues with the wireless internet, couldn't you also use a USB to ethernet adapter to get a wired connection?

Yes, absolutely, that was our plan on weak areas.

Fritz Golman

This is neat. I would love to see some latency tests on this workflow.
    E. Lee Dickinson | President
    Advanced Visual Production | sound.lighting.video.design
    www.avprva.com

Tricaster 850, 460AE, and TC-1
    JVC GY-HM200u, Canon XLH1, Fieldcast and BMD Fiber

Nothing definitive but my results were pretty much in line with what you'd normally deal with using multiple hops through multiple convertors. I'd estimate three to five frames. Might be less on a wired connection.

Fritz