Thread: One button record to sdcard/usb drive using multiple Sparks - Feature Request

One button record to sdcard/usb drive using multiple Sparks - Feature Request

I've used/tested the Connect Spark on a couple of shows now, also using the web UI on a laptop (via IP address) to start to record a local ISO on a USB drive in the Spark. It has worked so far, and I feel more confident I can possibly use these in my work flow for ISO recording too as opposed to recording on the camera card itself.

However, the web UI seems a bit clunky/buggy for recording. When I click "Start" from the web UI on a laptop, I don't feel confident recording has actually started because sometimes the button continues to say "Start" (even tho it is recording) and other times it says "Stop" (implying its currently recording). I've noticed even when it continues to display "Start" in the web UI, that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't recording. I haven't been able to confidently say, I got this and it's consistently working.

I do plan to buy more Connect Sparks and integrate them into my work flow, not only for wireless, but to make more of my cameras available via NDI (instead of SDI) in Tricaster and record an ISO locally to the Spark on USB drives.

Although I have not tested/used multiple Sparks yet, I will assume if you are using more than one, you would need to open separate tabs/web address for each Spark in order to start a record and then switch to each tab and hit Start to record for each Spark you are using. Not very efficient if that's the case. Ideally it would be best to have it be part of the TC recording UI, so all you need to do is hit RECORD from TC and that starts ALL records both on the TC as well as the Sparks usb drive.

The questions/feature request I have for Newtek

Are there any plans to:

1. Integrate a "Record" feature for the Sparks right from the Tricaster UI or make it part of the existing TC "RECORD" UI. Similar to setting up local TC records to HD's, but adding in a way to include the Sparks too - not to the TC hard drives, but to the Sparks's Sdcard or USB drive.

2. Be able to gang multiple Sparks on the web UI from a laptop so I can hit just one record button to begin recording on 2, 3, 4 or more Sparks at the same time

and/or

3. Have a record button on the Connect Spark itself with a light indicator (green/red) that cam ops can begin records

On my TC1 in the Record section there is an external recorders portion. I thought that it was meant for triggering sparks and such. Is that not the case? Maybe the feature has not worked backwards into the older line up?

External Recorders is a bit of a mashup, at least in the version I'm running. Remote NDI HX sources connected to the Switcher can be can be captured as M4V files right on the TriCaster. Some other NDI sources - those which support local capture on the remote device, and this feature (such as an NC1 I/O unit) - can be captured (as Quicktime, I beleive) on the remote device. I do not believe you can trigger local capture on a Spark itself by any means other than its own webpage, at the moment.

Interesting idea to try to find a way to trigger a bunch of them from one web interface (whether a webpage or application), but I don't think anyone has done it yet.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Don't have any to test with but if it's an http post/put etc might be easy to do. If the recording is local to the Tricaster can the streams be used in the same method for replay brining the angle count to 8?

Ultimately I was looking into this as a means to trigger remote on device recording when I hit the master record button on the tricaster. This would provide a backup to the iso recording on the tricaster without having to go into separate webpages activating recording one by one.

Quote Originally Posted by stp_productions View Post
    If the recording is local to the Tricaster can the streams be used in the same method for replay brining the angle count to 8?
    Yes, with two caveats: off the top of my head, I'm not sure which versions have this capability, and second, you can't use M4V files (from Spark or PTZ1, for example) for replay while the recording is still active.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")