Thread: Robotic cameras - building keyframe moves?

Robotic cameras - building keyframe moves?

Not specifically a TriCaster question, but thought I'd ask it here since a lot of us use HE-130's or other smaller robotics.

Is there a way, though any controller, to build a move? Like let's say I want to start my show with a push in on cam one. Can I use some software or a controller to set keyframe #1 at zoom/tilt/focus position X, keyframe #2 at ZTF position Y, set a duration of 3 seconds, and save that to a button? If not, that would be incredibly useful. Seems like its just a software patch for any existing controller on the market now.

If PTZ camera is controllable via the TriCaster PTZ controls, then you can quite easily accomplish the predetermined, timed camera moves via Macros.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

That's funny someone asked me yesterday if i can work with a robotic camera crane called Technocrane

The only plugin i found is for Cinema 4D and is called Cine Designer.
    But Cine Designer is not "Designed" for controlling a robotic camera crane and i'm not sure if the Technocrane is a robotic camera rig system.
    Dual Xeon E5-2670 2.6 GHZ // 64 gig DDR 3 // 32 cores // Windows 10

Having used PTZ cams for years this has always been my issue. Panasonic has a control surface that's does it but it is very pricey.

Would love to see some software (perhaps with a facial recognition follower?) that could do this.

Maybe the Skarhoj Company might be able to do it with their control surfaces, they are very approachable.

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PTZ 1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	141965

You can easily figure out the TriCaster macro commands for PTZ cameras by simply recording a macro and playing with the various PTZ controls in TriCaster, then reverse-engineer. I usually record macros in EDIT mode so I can see the commands populate the list as I press different buttons in the interface.

In the above example macro script, I first call PRESET 1 for PTZ 1, since there is no HOME command and I need to have a consistent start point for the following scripted camera moves since all moves are relative, meaning I am just moving a certain direction for a certain amount of time at a certain speed, and not going to an actual specific X, Y position the way moving to another Preset would. With AE, one could insert a manual PAUSE after choosing the Preset, to wait for operator to start the sequence of moves. In this case, I just gave it a 5-second wait (150 frames).

Camera then zooms in while also moving down and right. Waits 5 seconds, pans left slowly, stops. And so forth, could add all the additional timed moves you want, more pauses, etc.

In general, you can look at the commands and see that you are just entering values for PAN, TILT, and ZOOM. They do not all have to be on the same line, you could have PAN alone on a command line. Positive numbers move one direction, negative numbers move or zoom opposite. You can play with the values to get different speeds of course.

Once a macro line with Pan, Tilt, or Zoom executes, the camera will just continue moving in whatever direction you told it to, until you issue a new command line with a ZERO (0) to STOP THE MOVEMENT.

At the bottom on macros list, just for reference, I added some focus commands (AF on/off), Auto Iris on/off, different WB settings, etc. but again just push buttons and see what you get in Macro Config.

Remember that you can use COPY and PASTE in Macro Editor so that you only have to enter the command line once, then copy/paste and just change values in other lines for different moves, quick and easy.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Jeff - thanks for your suggestion. I'll definitely dig in and see what I can see. The issue I am having with our cams is that they get suuuuuuuper laggy over NDI. Until I get that sorted out, I have to run them externally.

Quote Originally Posted by fgolman View Post
    Having used PTZ cams for years this has always been my issue. Panasonic has a control surface that's does it but it is very pricey.

Would love to see some software (perhaps with a facial recognition follower?) that could do this.

Maybe the Skarhoj Company might be able to do it with their control surfaces, they are very approachable.
    Panasonic does have software now that runs on a PC that'll automatically track via facial recognition. Its a free trial. I used it once and its just "ok". It tends to get lost really easily, and if you have someone walking in front of something like a pleated curtain, it kind of falls apart. Definitely not worth the $1,500 they're asking for it.

I have the Panasonic RP50, and it can't do the automatic moves. The RP120 does, but it only does so by recording the moves that you create, instead of keyframing. And that sucker is $4500.