Thread: Spark - compatible cameras?

Spark - compatible cameras?

I have found that the Spark does not fully ‘understand’ all cameras hdmi output. Canon XC-10 and the Spark shake hands ok and put out full HD. With Canon XA-10 I get no more than 720x576. With Canon XF200 I can get 1280x720, if I put 1280x720 in record-settings and 1920x1080 in hdmi output. Full HD in both settings, will give 720x576…
    I have read somewhere about ‘shy’ hdmi and that this can be the issue.

As I am looking into new cameras, I would appreciate that you users of the Spark, could share your experiences of your cameras.

Thanks!

It has been my experience that any camera where you can set the output format has had no problems getting the video format I want with the HDMI Spark. Some cameras will communicate with it and depending on the list of formats the Spark sends and what the camera can support might cause only certain output resolutions. For example, I have a Canon Vixia HF R200, a consumer level video camera, that will only work in standard def on the Spark, because once connected to an HDMI source it is completely automatic and doesn't allow me to choose anything.

My professional JVC HM200 camera allows me to set the resolution I want independent of what it is connected too, with it I can get 1920x1080 or 1280x720 at whatever frame rate I choose.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Product and Vertical Market Manager - Digital Broadcast
    The problem here is specific to certain Canon cameras. The basic problem is that they only support two video modes on HDMI output: 1080i and 480p (4:3). The Spark itself handles EDID negotiation with the camera and says “I prefer progressive” which is what we want. The Spark basically says “great, I do 480p which is progressive” and Spark responds that this is supported … and so this camera falls down to 480p as the negotiated format which is 4:3 and SD.
    Zane Condren
    Product and Vertical Market Manager - Digital Broadcast
    NewTek Inc.
    new.tk/call

Thanks for your replies! So it would be "safe" to buy a camera from any other brand than Canon, as long as it has a possibility to adjust HDMI-output in settings?

Yes, I'd see if you can check out the camera at a dealer first. Then you can see if it has configurable HDMI output settings, most professional cameras do.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.