Thread: MINI 4SDI AE and skype work

MINI 4SDI AE and skype work

I have been knocking myself out looking for a post about the 180323 version of AE and SKYPE. I have yet to find anyone describing how easy or not easy the set up is for Skype with NDI.

I have a once a year client with a big web broadcast that I used a variety of hardware to get SKYPE into a live stream. (Thank you to LON.TV on YT for the great video about tricaster mini and Skype.)

This year for the broadcast I am able to use the updated AE on my MINI 4SDI.

I open SKPE on my MAC - click on my profile icon and it opens the a window
    Click on "Calling" at the bottom of the calling window find "Advanced" switch on the "Allow NDI usage" before making or receiving a call.
    This has to be switched on before connection to a Skype call.
    *Note that it will default off. Also note that the person on the other side of the Skype call will get a warning about the call being recorded.

On the tricaster I am able to assign one of my inputs - click on the gear and drop down SOURCE and choose your Skype connection from the network inputs. Do the same for the audio to follow the input (this works for me) so I can make a mix minus for broadcast.

Video and Audio from SKYPE get to the Tricaster MINI 4SDI AE like magic.
    This has been in test mode so far. I will update later in JUNE 2018.

Cheers!

The actual session was really easy and worked.
    Definitely need to have the newest version of Skype. We used Apple computers and the directions above worked great. Glad I posted this because on event day I had to review my post to remember the instructions.

I tried a conference call with two people but it was not successful the day of the event. I didn't think to test conference call before event day. My work around - I had to have two computers with two different Skype accounts doing a call for the Two remote Skype-in to the broadcast.

If anyone has done a conference call Skype on the broadcast please chime in. I'd like to do a multi call Skype into the broadcast in the futures. Cheers!

Did you use the latest NDI tools or the earlier version?

We've been using Skype with NDI for some time now and it works great. The new version (3.5) hopefully launching with Skype in two weeks.

At NAB, Microsoft was showing Skype with NDI built in, too! Supposedly coming sometime this summer. And, it's will just be a regular update, supposedly not a special TX broadcast version or anything.

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications

PS Next Chicago/Midwest TriCaster Users Group meeting on August 1. Contact me for details: fgolman@live.com

With NDI Transmit, you can also use Zoom which has some cool options for doing conference calls
    Tricaster 460 Advanced Edition 2, Tricaster 40 V1
    2 Sony PXW-X70 Cameras, 2 Panasonic AG-HMC40P Cameras
    VSE 2.5 - VSE Advanced Edition, A bunch of Doo-Dads and cables

Fgolman
    I am using 180323 version of AE and the Skype version 8.27.0.85 on my MAC

- - - Updated - - -

I have a license for Transmit but I was not sure how it was going to add value with FREE SKYPE over NDI. I will give the conference connection through Transmit a test at some point. Thanks for the info.

The last few preview editions of Skype, for Windows Insiders, has featured NDI integrated in. Works very well and you don't need NDI transmit anymore as the NDI Virtual Camera comes in the free NDI tools.

I believe there is a thread in the forum with a link to get that version of Skype. The very nicest thing about (versus using Scan Convertor) is that it gives a really clean feed to NDI, full-screen, without any of the controls or self-monitor Window. The only thing, though, is I can't comment on a Mac version, just Windows 10. It *may* not be available or function on a Mac yet.

Highly recommended! Next best thing to having a TalkShow unit!

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications

Now we just need Skype for Business to include NDI. Although I’m told that that is changing name again soon?

In other news; this is a great addition to the NDI toolset. I think we should all be greatful to the work that’s been done to make feeds both ways possible.

Thanks!!!

Technically you don't need Skype for Business as you can use regular Skype to connect to a Skype for Business user!

I've tested it as I both types of accounts and it is completely seamless.