Thread: The Future of TFD

The Future of TFD

I recently asked Jascha what his plans are for TFD. Here was his answer -

Hello Rob,

1./2.) I can't give definite availability or dates for specific plugins yet. Generally the plan is to support all 3D hosts including LW and Modo. But it's not clear yet in which order and when they will become available.
    However, we'll have a standalone application from the beginning that can interface with other applications through various file formats. This will ensure that you can use it regardless of the other 3D apps in your pipeline until a specific plugin becomes available.

3.) I assume you mean a general idea for the release date? I do have an ballpark aim, but i had these several times in the past already before upgrading the goals and consequently pushing the release date further. So at this point, until i'm certain that it will become a reality, i must refrain from giving a date.

4.) Yes. Liquids will probably not be in the first release, but it's among the favorite features. The main focus of the first release is to be a platform on which we can prototype and build new features much faster. But it also includes a feature set like you would expect from TFD2.

--
    Jascha Wetzel
    Jawset Visual Computing
    Munich, Germany
    "Once one can articulate an important idea into a concise statement, then one can use the statement and not have to have the fear of changing behavior." - Ed Catmull on Pixar creativity

Thank You for sharing Rob!    
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

I love the idea of a standalone app!

You're welcome.
    "Once one can articulate an important idea into a concise statement, then one can use the statement and not have to have the fear of changing behavior." - Ed Catmull on Pixar creativity

Quote Originally Posted by rcallicotte View Post
    I love the idea of a standalone app!...
    Hi,
    a standalone application seems the wrong direction for me: I want a integrated solution. That is the power of TurbulenceFD for Lightwave. If we have to use an other application for fluid simulations we could use one of the already exsiting ones (what we sometimes already do, for other reasons).

Quote Originally Posted by rcallicotte View Post
    ...However, we'll have a standalone application from the beginning that can interface with other applications through various file formats. This will ensure that you can use it regardless of the other 3D apps in your pipeline until a specific plugin becomes available...
    However, I understand Jaschas quote like that he is planning a specific plugin for Lightwave anyway.
    I hope that we do not have to wait too long for a new release.

ciao
    Thomas
    Web: www.dieleinwandhelden.com

I use two pieces of the three-piece application with mocap module.

I hope we don't have to pay for each plugin. It just make things complicated.
    Ambocc Studios
    www.ambocc.com
    Reel

Quote Originally Posted by thomascheng View Post
    I hope we don't have to pay for each plugin. It just make things complicated.
    Agreed, or if so, the cost at least just reflects the per-pkg integration effort, not the entire pkg over and over.

BTW, what is the situation w.r.t. TFD and Mac LW2018, for those in that situ? While my demo was active, I don't recall having much luck getting then-current TFD working, but apparently there's a more recent TFD update that supposedly works with LW2018. For licensed Mac TFD + LW2018 users, what's the stability like?
    Last edited by jwiede; 06-15-2018 at 09:34 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.5),32GB RAM, NV 1080ti