Thread: LW 2018 - Printed Documentation

LW 2018 - Printed Documentation

If Newtek created and printed manuals for Lighwave 2018 similar to the manuals that you could get with LW 9, would you buy them?

Perhaps if we could get some quantitative feedback on the desire for printed manuals, LW3DG / Newtek might consider printing a limited run of manuals.

I mean, I would like to be able to download the documentation, but in my opinion, having printed manuals that didn't rely on a device or electricity would be even better. They could sit on my desk next to my set of LW 9 manuals or go in my carry-on, or on the bus, etc.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by RPSchmidt View Post
    If Newtek created and printed manuals for Lighwave 2018 similar to the manuals that you could get with LW 9, would you buy them?

Perhaps if we could get some quantitative feedback on the desire for printed manuals, LW3DG / Newtek might consider printing a limited run of manuals.

I mean, I would like to be able to download the documentation, but in my opinion, having printed manuals that didn't rely on a device or electricity would be even better. They could sit on my desk next to my set of LW 9 manuals or go in my carry-on, or on the bus, etc.

Thoughts?
    When I bought LW 11.6 I printed out the whole 3 pdf manuals and read them beginning til end. At that time I would certainly have bought it. Now not so much anymore.

I would prefer if NewTek would provide offline html manuals (or pdf). Much more convenient for me now to search an electronic.media.

I asked this already and they said they would look into it. Of course its an evolving thing so its always being updated but i always like a little light reading on a long flight.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2018.4

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    I asked this already and they said they would look into it. Of course its an evolving thing so its always being updated but i always like a little light reading on a long flight.
    I do too... And honestly, although having an electronic format can be convenient in some situations, I much prefer having a book I can crack open, especially when I'm not doing much of anything (like travelling) and feel like brushing up or reviewing something new.

I have seen printing companies which will make up a little book or bound A4 or A5 pages, but a quote per item would depend on the size of the print run, which itself would depend on how many takers. I would in principle pay but I fear the cost of such a project might be high, with added logistics of shipping quotes for different countries. In practice, is it fair to ask Steve and Chuck to man the photcopier as well .... But I would pay, yes.

The current Wiki https://docs.lightwave3d.com/ does have a feature where you can export a given topic out to PDF or DOC format. It's the three dots un the upper right of the page.

Wish they'd modify the color scheme though as the Search box is Dark blue on a slightly less dark blue. Took me several visits to find it.

I probably wouldn't buy it since I rely on search too much. I would *much* rather have a local softcopy than a hardcopy.

mTp

Yeah, I'd go for a softcopy of the docs. Heck, one more thing I can use my tablet for...
    --------
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryslin View Post
    Yeah, I'd go for a softcopy of the docs. Heck, one more thing I can use my tablet for...
    I can see many people would opt for a soft copy, but I already spend almost ten hours a day staring at a screen... Hard copy would be a nice alternative for me.