Thread: Updating Firmware on TCXD40

Updating Firmware on TCXD40

Hi, our school has a Tricaster TCXD40 that we use to stream events to Livestream. We've been informed by Livestream that due to "Fastly's TLS depreciation timeline" we will need to update the firmware in our Triscaster to continue to use it for this purpose. I have searched the NewTek site for any info on performing this update, but I cannot find any info. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks
    Tom Weissert

Hi Tom,

TC40 updates are found under the LEGACY heading - https://www.newtek.com/downloads/previous/

If you have a TC40 v1, newest update is 4 years old, and v2 software is 3 years old unfortunately. As this product has been discontinued, I'd not be optimistic about further updates.

I looked up "Fastly's TLS depreciation" and that seems to be security-related within the streaming/network infrastructure. I don't speak for Newtek, but again after 3-4 years on inactivity with TC40 updates, I wouldn't hold my breath on any patches being forthcoming. Might consider moving up to a TC Mini? TC40 is just obsolete at this point, as is analog video in general. Another option is to offload the stream encoding to dedicated box, using the video output from TC40 rather than relying on software within TC40.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Also, the LiveStream plug-in, is written by LiveStream themselves. Perhaps they need a current software for compatibility, but ultimately they have to support their own plug-in (or support standard RTMP streaming).
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Thanks, Jeff,

That's just about what I figured.

Best,
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by JPulera View Post
    Hi Tom,

TC40 updates are found under the LEGACY heading - https://www.newtek.com/downloads/previous/

If you have a TC40 v1, newest update is 4 years old, and v2 software is 3 years old unfortunately. As this product has been discontinued, I'd not be optimistic about further updates.

I looked up "Fastly's TLS depreciation" and that seems to be security-related within the streaming/network infrastructure. I don't speak for Newtek, but again after 3-4 years on inactivity with TC40 updates, I wouldn't hold my breath on any patches being forthcoming. Might consider moving up to a TC Mini? TC40 is just obsolete at this point, as is analog video in general. Another option is to offload the stream encoding to dedicated box, using the video output from TC40 rather than relying on software within TC40.

Thanks

Jeff

Currently, if LiveStream's *plugin for TriCaster is busted (which it evidently is), the only way to do direct stream to LiveStream would be with an (expensive) Enterprise account.

It's not entirely clear what brought this on. Can you post the entire text from the notice you received?

* This is really their plugin, not ours, though we provided it with TC. As such, we have no ability to 'fix' it.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Time to jump ship on Livestream. We did it after being a customer for many years and haven't looked back. Lots better value out there and less esoteric nonsense.