Thread: Streaming Error

Streaming Error

I have always had YouTube Live on Channel 1 and Facbook Live on Channel 2 along with File Capture. Since my last update Channel 2 refuses to work. I get the error.

Streaming Channel 2 Missing or Invalid broadcast URL or Stream ID.

I have re-linked the streams did everything I can think of Channel 2 refuses to work..

There is a delta in the bit rate set between the two channels but they are running the same resolution.

It drives me crazy this stuff just breaks on an update.
    Todd Cochrane
    @geeknews
    geeknews@gmail.com
    http://geeknewscentral.com

TriCaster: TC1 / 860 AE / Mini AE

Yeah I have been trying to get a beta as my understanding is the bug is acked, fixed but not released.

Guessing they are trying to get the version from NAB out the door

This just sucks it really does. Shows a lack of attention to detail in regression testing you would think that the streaming bit would be the most important thing to check.
    Todd Cochrane
    @geeknews
    geeknews@gmail.com
    http://geeknewscentral.com

TriCaster: TC1 / 860 AE / Mini AE

I found a beta released just piror the the last public release that doesn't have this stream/record error but still has the audio glitch fix and SDI output fix. Wish this would be properly resolved

I am so torn and frustrated. I love the Tricaster. I've built my company on it.

And while the TC1 is, on the surface, an incredible machine, it has been such a disappointment for us. We've had *multiple* events damaged by this machine, between various update bugs in audio and video outputs, streaming problems, update issues... When the recording functionally was broken, we had to explain to our customer why they wouldn't be getting any of the camera ISO's we were contracted to provide. We are annoyed with Windows update problems - either the popups before we disabled the service, and now the 'unknown software' errors on every boot. The internal browser has trouble accessing the content we need - and we have to use it, because the streaming engine is no longer able to provide direct log-ins to the CDNs we use.

We now have to have online backups on every show - an SDI router feeding Blackmagic switchers. We often feed a Wirecast system, as Wirecast doesn't have any trouble logging in to our CDNs. We don't have enough confidence in the Tricasters to let them stand on their own.

This machine has *embarrassed* me, repeatedly. I have spent years carving a niche for our company, saying "You don't need a TV truck, we can do that in a flight pack." or "Everything that Barco switcher can do, we can do better, with more flexibility."

Tomorrow, I load in an event for 2000 people, with Senator Warner, Senator Kaine, Governor Northam, and half a dozen other national and state elected officials. Former Presidents often show up at the last minute to speak at this event. I've got the Tricaster on the truck, and I am completely terrified that it will embarrass me again on the national stage. We're two deep this Saturday, with that event as well as the graduations of an entire local school system - multiple schools, back to back, in one day. Thousands of students, counting on us to broadcast their graduations to their families who can't make it. I should be able to roll in to these events confidently.

To stake my name on that, and then be burned, is so disappointing - especially for me, who learned video editing on a Toaster 20 years ago when I was 16. This is literally all I've ever done, and Newtek has been integral from the start. I've owned VT4, VT5, TCPro, 40, 300, 850, 460, and TC1. This brand is in my blood.

What is it going to take to get some serious QA so we know updates are good?
    What do we do when they aren't, since there's no archive of previous versions?
    How do we know if they're good if there's no known bug list?
    How can we do an emergency upgrade or downgrade when the download servers are so slow?
    How can we do an emergency upgrade when we have to remember the secret method that makes updates actually succeed, because just clicking "update" hardly ever does?

I'm just at a loss, here. The TC1 is really, really cool. But the QA on this product is abysmal.

Is Newtek confident that I should be using their equipment on my events? Is Newtek proud to be listed on my equipment lists and in my proposal narratives? Can anyone from Newtek say to me, affirmatively, "Our equipment is up to the task?"

Just adding to all my posts: I'm frustrated and venting, but hopeful. I'm having a bit of a crisis of faith, and hope to hear from others to either affirm my frustrations [and thus nudge Newtek towards improving the update process] or give me some guidance on how to alleviate them.
    Last edited by Lee-AVP; 06-13-2018 at 10:15 AM.
    E. Lee Dickinson | President
    Advanced Visual Production | sound.lighting.video.design
    www.avprva.com

Tricaster 850, 460AE, and TC-1
    JVC GY-HM200u, Canon XLH1, Fieldcast and BMD Fiber

Please pay attention to this, NewTek. I'm not sure what's been happening over the last few years, but there has been an obvious decrease in support and QA across all of your brands.

Once these issues precipitate posts pleading for change from formerly evangelical customers - you have a problem.
    TriCaster TC1 #1
    TriCaster TC1 #2
    NC1 Studio I/O Module
    TriCaster Mini SDI Advanced #1
    TriCaster Mini SDI Advanced #2
    Video Nerd

NewTek Engineering QA VideoEng QA's Avatar
    I agree we have had a considerable lapse of time between the last update and present. We are working on correcting these problems and improving internal procedures so we can be more responsive and get fixes/improvements out in a reasonable time frame. Streaming in TC1/VMC1 has had quite a hard time over the last few months. There have been API changes made by a few of the streaming CDNs, but there have also been some blatant streaming bugs that slipped through the cracks into the public build. We are dedicated to correcting these issues and creating/improving internal processes to catch and help prevent them from occurring in the future.

We have a new beta build of TC1 and VMC1 that corrects all known (reported to fogbugz) streaming issues (along with a ton of other software improvements). If you are interested in trying this build out, please email me here and we will get you direct download links. We are working on prepping this new set of builds for release, this is a priority for us and we are working as quickly as possible get them fully vetted and released.

Alternately, if you encounter any issues with our products or would like to submit a feature request I encourage you to write up a fogbugz case and include as much information as possible. You can submit new cases here: Fogbugz. Every fogbugz case entered (regardless if its a proposed feature request or bug submission) gets looked at and evaluated by both Software QA and Engineering.
    NewTek Engineering QA
    For bug reports, feature requests, or technical inquiries: https://fogbugz.newtek.com/default.asp?pg=pgPublicEdit

Lee,

Your comments hit home to me because I too really love the brand and what it's built, but also have a crisis of confidence in the product after being burned a number of times. To this day I legitimately get very anxious doing shows where I have to touch the T-bar on a Tricaster CS after a unit crashed out on us twice on our biggest ever tour (in front of 40k people) when I was in the middle of doing a mix with the bar. The early TC Mini's were also really, really awful (I've seen five units in my time, and three had major hardware defects; DOAs and PSUs mostly), but have ultimately turned out to be our most reliable Tricasters.

I contrast this with 3Play 425s - for some reason to this day these are still the most solid NewTek products we own even years later. They have occasional strangeness, but nothing we can't handle. It probably helps that we aren't relying on them to switch the show though, too.

We have learned how and when over time what parts of the system we want to provide redundancy for and to what degree. For example; as a minimum we never allow the Tricaster to be the only thing recording program. Yes, we know that if the Tricaster goes down you won't have program any more, but we also know that if the Tricaster goes down the recording on the TC is probably toast anyway, whereas the other recorder won't be. We also know that a couple of our units tend to freeze up without warning a lot more often if they are streaming, so we made the call to do streaming separately from the Tricaster. That was a cheap, easy way to break off streaming and a H264 record from the Tricaster and lighten the load up a bit.

We've also found strangeness in a few other bits and bobs that were unexpected - control surfaces mostly. One of our control surfaces has a bug that if you move both T-bars at the same time the show will go nuts. Apparently it's a firmware thing, but because the control surface is in install and we can't afford to have it out of service for a few weeks at a time for it to go away and get fixed we've just had to live with that bug for several years (the solution is just to never move both at once). Another of our surfaces (or at least in this case we presume it's the surface) has a bug that means when the T-bar reaches the end of its travel the TC will decide it's only 99% complete which swaps the operation of your PGM and PVW row until you hit auto. It doesn't seem to be a limits setting for the T-bar itself, because to test it I wound the limit in considerably to give a lot more "completed" area on the bar and the problem remains. I haven't had time to mess with updates to fix it because, like you, I'm never quite sure if I'm going to be making the problem better or worse, or creating problems in other areas that I don't know about (going from "rather annoying" to "show-stopper").

With the redundancies we have built-in I have a lot more confidence, and in truth the problems are usually few and far between - it's the cost of failure that hurts. I'm not sure there's too much Newtek can do other than be a little more candid about known bugs, and keep making improvements to QA.