Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Realistic Grass

Realistic Grass

Is this good enough for the Lightwave gallery my 1m x 1m patch of grass ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LW Forum.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	588.5 KB 
ID:	141904

hi, that is really nice, can you tell a little bit more how it is done, textured and lit (light, hdri).

looks really great
    My Portfolio - http://alexs3d.blogspot.com - Now with Photography

hi there, sure I didn't use any hdri just a jpg file in textured environment on Y at 120% opacity. no lights where used in scene just turned off so taking all light data from jpg file.

for grass I used 3 separate layers so 3 different patches of grass on center pivot then instanced them on a 1m x 1m square played with settings

for surfacing normal texture maps spec maps for grass blades with sum reflection to create shine effect on blades and helped with color variation of grass.

Dof effect was Dp node image filter kit I placed a small cube in middle of the grass for focal reference point hid the cube from render.

Final color was photoshop image color correct and get the right realism effect. you probably could do that in Lw as well under render buffers node.

Nice render there in the second image

No seriously, your little grass patch is looking very good and would be fine in the gallery...But I would suggest to throw in something more to focus on, Like a ladybug or a grasshopper or a plastic bag maybe....sometimes there's so much beauty in the world i feel like i can't take it

Quote Originally Posted by 3dhotshot View Post
    hi there, sure I didn't use any hdri just a jpg file in textured environment on Y at 120% opacity. no lights where used in scene just turned off so taking all light data from jpg file.

for grass I used 3 separate layers so 3 different patches of grass on center pivot then instanced them on a 1m x 1m square played with settings

for surfacing normal texture maps spec maps for grass blades with sum reflection to create shine effect on blades and helped with color variation of grass.

Dof effect was Dp node image filter kit I placed a small cube in middle of the grass for focal reference point hid the cube from render.

Final color was photoshop image color correct and get the right realism effect. you probably could do that in Lw as well under render buffers node.

Like!
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

I think the big picture is just the jpg used for the lighting, otherwise, if it were a render, I'd say submit that to the gallery instead. As to asking the forum if something is suitable for the gallery, there's no point doing that, just go ahead and submit it and you will find out if it is good enough or not.

image = certainly a photo reference only  

nice grass though, i like the render style.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by djwaterman View Post
    I think the big picture is just the jpg used for the lighting, otherwise, if it were a render, I'd say submit that to the gallery instead. As to asking the forum if something is suitable for the gallery, there's no point doing that, just go ahead and submit it and you will find out if it is good enough or not.
    You must be thinking right
    Why would he otherwise post his initial image and only describe that, and then referencing the second image as the "Light source"
    No one really mentioned anything about that second image being a render, other than with parody followed by a serious note, and shrox just happened to like that image
    If it were a render, so would my avatar image be as well...rendered in 1971.

The big question now..Everyone ask themself, where is that place located really?

where is that place located really? 
    southwest Europa?

Congratulations, very nice grass!!!
    Ground control to Major Tom

thanks everyone ... @erikals I do watch some of ur videos and Dj w man your stuff is excellent.
    Last edited by 3dhotshot; 06-14-2018 at 01:14 AM.

thanks, quite a lot of helpers on this page  

keep LightWavin'  

I did try to create falling rain drops on to the instances but could not get them to stick onto the surfaces. do particle emitters not interact with instances ?

no, particles do not interact with instances or voxels/HyperVoxels

it must be real geometry

in this case though, using real geometry instead of instances should work fine,
    since there are not too many polygons in the camera view.

ok cool thanks again ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast