Thread: 4K video imported into TC860AE

4K video imported into TC860AE

If a client gives me a 4K video and I use the Tricaster importer in a 1080i60 session, will the importer render it down to 1080i60 and will the video be playable?

Since no one else has jumped in yet, I will say that I'd in no way expect this to work. Haven't tried it, but have never known any TriCaster to do any scaling of imported files, period. If TriCaster transcodes a video clip during import, it is keeping the original frame size and frame rate and is just converting to another video format (.mov).

Also, I will assume that client is maybe getting this 4K clip direct from their camera perhaps? In that case, TriCaster may not even have the required codec installed to read it in the first place (if it could accept 4K, which it should not AFAIK).

Please let us know more about the intended workflow - why this scenario might exist in the first place, and maybe there is another way to get things done. For instance, play the 4K clip in Adobe Premiere on another PC and use the NDI plug-in for Premiere to get video over to TriCaster (playing in a 1080p Premiere sequence for example, so that 1080p is sent to TriCaster and not 4K).

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Hi Jeff!
    A client mid-show wanted to include a last minute video of some 4K drone footage. I was going through different scenarios for how to handle a situation like that, and this was a question with an answer I wasn't sure about. We typically have a couple laptops going HDMI-SDI into our Tricaster for Powerpoints but they aren't high-end laptops so I wasn't certain at the time if they could handle 4K playback either.

Quote Originally Posted by Mriley19 View Post
    Hi Jeff!
    A client mid-show wanted to include a last minute video of some 4K drone footage. I was going through different scenarios for how to handle a situation like that, and this was a question with an answer I wasn't sure about. We typically have a couple laptops going HDMI-SDI into our Tricaster for Powerpoints but they aren't high-end laptops so I wasn't certain at the time if they could handle 4K playback either.
    If you play it on VLC and send to Tricaster by NDI?

Tricaster is the best thing that i've used since I played with my atari
    Gear Used:
    Tricaster: All 3Play:440
    Cam: JVC GY-HM600, GY-HM150U
    Facebook
    Twitter

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    I also have never tried it but agree with what Jeff posted except the scaling as the clip will be scaled to best match the Session resolution. It also plays back at the Session frame rate but it does not look right when you say Import a 24fps video file and play it in a 1080i Session and I say this from experience.

If it was me, I would convert to 1080i using Adobe Media Encoder to NewTek Codec and I would also test Import Media where it just converts the codec and not the resolution nor frame rate. Just so I could know but I am always doing stuff just to know
    But if I don't have this ability and time is of the essence, I would use NDI Connect Pro to play it back via NDI with auto play enabled as long as it plays back smoothly (my laptop is i7 and NVidia GFX card so most likely would)
    If I did not own Connect Pro, I would try Jeff's suggestion of Premiere but most likely render out the time line and make sure GFX card on system plays back smoothly first. VLC I would test but not sure how it takes advantage of GFX card like Premiere
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster