Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: clouds?

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post

A question Thomas, I see you used distant light here, I thought it was broken...I have never gotten distant light to work in 2018 with global scattering, have you added some nodal correction for that light or may it have been fixed in
    the more recent 2018 versions?

I am still using 2018.01 here......
    Distant and Environment light still dont work with volumetric scattering. I use a volumetric primitive (cube) as medium for light scattering.

....And while it is cool with VDB output from terragen, it sort of looses a lot of what makes terragen render looking nice, the only thing you are left with is some cloud layer, and you can actually do cloud layers with
    decent fractals in lightwave as well, but the shading you loose, as well as the sky....
    Yes, I would also render in terragen. It's just a vdb file I found on the internet to test in LW.

...I see you have too much glow intensity in general sun flare, a tip would be to add another distant light at the same angle and location, make it a large angle size, that way you will illuminate the bottom side of the clouds so they aren´t so dark...that´s what Ivé been doing to avoid to dark clouds when backlit and doing godrays, you may also be able to use environment light perhaps...
    I think you can improve it much. I did playing around with the vdb...did not come to an end.
    In other renderings I used an environment light too (like in the one I posted before).

ciao
    Thomas
    Web: www.dieleinwandhelden.com

I use two pieces of the three-piece application with mocap module.

More knowledge for the Lightwave team to dig in to, regarding Disney research on AI neural algorithms, aiming to avoid long rendertimes when heavy mulitple scattering may otherwise be required.

It explains that typical darkness shadows accouring as we can see in the cloud asset image from disney..
    "We synthesize multi-scattered illumination in clouds using deep radiance-predicting neural networks (RPNN). We combine Monte Carlo integration with data-driven radiance predictions, accurately reproducing edge-darkening effects (left), silverlining (right), and the whiteness of the inner part of the cloud. "

The paper "Deep Scattering: Rendering Atmospheric Clouds with Radiance-Predicting Neural Networks"
    http://drz.disneyresearch.com/~jnova...eepScattering/
    Pdf...
    http://drz.disneyresearch.com/~jnova...Scattering.pdf

also look at the video which explains in a very easy way what it is dealing with..

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Leitner View Post
    Distant and Environment light still dont work with volumetric scattering. I use a volumetric primitive (cube) as medium for light scattering.

Yes, I would also render in terragen. It's just a vdb file I found on the internet to test in LW.

I think you can improve it much. I did playing around with the vdb...did not come to an end.
    In other renderings I used an environment light too (like in the one I posted before).

ciao
    Thomas
    Ahh...I was fooled there, Yes...that trick Is something I used too, though I think it will become slower than actually just using the new global scattering system if you instead of distant light use a spherical light which works.
    Environment light I also know doesn´t work within volumetric scattering, just mentioned it for illuminating the clouds beneath, but as I also said..it may be better with a spherical light or some other light with large angle size.
    In principle the trick is similar to this vid..but since you can not mix the two legacy system, you have to add the new volumetrics in a large enough size to cover the scene.

When it comes to terragen 4, I like the new lighting in the new easy clouds, but I miss density fractal control changes as with the older ones, and tweaking the new clouds in rtp realtime preview can sometimes become to slow.
    The older cloud models can look nice too..and is significantly faster to tweak with rtp preview, I may record some demonstration of that later this week.

Installation of the latest vue build is on the way this week too, for test driving of partly the new metaclouds.

Some experiments on faking that darkness, by feeding the same texture in to main texture background color which then is fed in to emission scale, there are probably better ways to acheive this or set up nodes with gradients and other slots, but this was an easy first try test.

various stages where the first top image has the node disconnected ..where the others below is connected, with various contrast settings and also various multiply values before it is fed in to the emission scale.

There is a bit of falloff errors in the cloud, nevermind that..can be fixed if I want to.
    This isn´t the ideal cloud to try and create that darkness in the volume, it should be used on larger cumulus clouds..not this midlevel cloud types really.

I do not have acess to any textures in the disney cloud asset, so I would have to try other ways there..if I got the time, I could perhaps try and set up a more cumulus styled clouds with lightwave´s internal fractals and use the above techniques to see how it looks.

I would like to record this and put it on the tube if I got the time, some really interesting things going on if you invert that second textures alpha, and adjust multiplier.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	experimental emission darkness_compare.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	148.3 KB 
ID:	142224

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	setup shadow & scattering fake.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	222.0 KB 
ID:	142225

Yeah, I see what you mean about it not really being the right kind of cloud for the effect, a big cumulonimbus hero cloud would definitely serve as a better test for that effect.

Maybe try exporting the Pablo Del Molino cloud asset from Terragen as FBX, then use DeepFX's VDBSplicer to convert it into VDB for LW volumetrics? It's commercial, but for the work you're doing, it seems like a highly useful addition (w.r.t. converting meshes to VDB).
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.5),32GB RAM, NV 1080ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Yeah, I see what you mean about it not really being the right kind of cloud for the effect, a big cumulonimbus hero cloud would definitely serve as a better test for that effect.

Maybe try exporting the Pablo Del Molino cloud asset from Terragen as FBX, then use DeepFX's VDBSplicer to convert it into VDB for LW volumetrics? It's commercial, but for the work you're doing, it seems like a highly useful addition (w.r.t. converting meshes to VDB).
    It´s all hobbywork for now, and I won´t invest in any commercial plugin at all until I see what the next Feature version brings for lightwave, I would also need to upgrade from Lightwave 2015, I would also need to buy Terragen full.
    Currently neither Terragen or Lightwave satisfies me enough, where I think both software still Lacks to much for my liking, there´s always a fear that I have to high demands and the software may not be able to provide what I require..and I would keep on just working with demo´s and not getting anywhere to boost personal projects.

So VDB slicer, well yeah..I noticed that ..but it is put on a lower section on my want list.
    It´s a bit sick that I invest so much time working with these experiments..considering the above mentioned excuses, but it´s a little passion for me trying to acheive nice landscapes.

I may need a better plan on wether or not to continue with this, as personal projects..or take it to another level, or reduce the amount of time I work on it, or set up a good plan on how to elevate it all to another level.
    Currently I am on vacation one week more, and I am also planning to move away from my current job which doesn´t include any 3d work and too much of administration work for a too low salery, so I should be workin more on
    finding something else.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112