Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: clouds?

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Alas, I suspect few other users are willing to invest the level of time/experimentation you did in order to reach such capabilities. IMO, LW is moving in a really undesirable direction w.r.t. UI/UX and sheer investment of time/experimentation (in an increasingly experimentation-hostile environment) required to achieve acceptable results with features/"improvements".
    Yes...agree to some extent here, while you actually can get more realistic clouds in 2018, it is not as easy to work with, tweak and experiment as to what we have in the hypervoxels UI, a bit of a shame they couldnīt just introduce the new
    shading within that tab, also allowing for fast drop down switch to the old hypervoxels when needed, for surface liquids, sprites etc.

It is a bit cumbersome to make sure you select the right item, and you can not have any other item selectable and move around in order to tweak the volumetrics, that you could do with old hypervoxels Regardless of which item you were selecting or moving around in the scene, you could always just click in the hv menu tab list and deselect, deactivate, select what ever item you wanted to adjust in shading, while still moving around other elements.

Guess they need to fix that appliance thing firstly, meaning volumetrics on to points which is lacking now, and perhaps they will consider the workflow of being able to choose a hypertexture directly as superior in workflow ..rather than the necessary enter nodes, add node, connect the nodes.

Pulling that off initiall, then carry on with making the rendering of volumetrics faster, (probably GPU neede, then an option to make any shape volumetric ala houdini, (not blender or modo object to volumetrics, itīs not good)
    and make sure some illumination deep scattering can occour for that extra cloud lighting effect.

Once that is done, most stuff is done for the actual cloud stuff, and they need to move on to global scattering spectral algorithms ..working on global earth scale, with fog levels.

Yes NT seem to have given with one hand and taken away with the other.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2018.4

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    Yes NT seem to have given with one hand and taken away with the other.
    Yes perhaps ..but more constructively would be to show them where things in the workflow have gone from better to worse.
    I have written about it many times now..in the forums, but maybe more directed suggestions and pointing out would be better served if aimed at for instance Janti or some others.

I could also do video recordings showasing the Beneifits of old hv UI VS the new volumetrics, however...this requires som time effort from me, and with a knowledge or trust in that someone at newtek actually sees it, or listens to
    what I and other users writes, ensuring that means a two way communication..and I havenīt seen any responses from the development team regarding these issues..which sorts of reduces my will of trying to explain it better with recordings.

the thing with the old hv worklow, you could have the menu open at all times, or minimized while working ..moving on other elements..moving around, then just check the desired item in the list to edit, that is now impossible and each time you move a light or camera or other objects, you will loose any volumetric item selection AND editing..which requires you to find the right one and open properties, entering nodes again etc..not very good workflow for volumetrics, I have praised Lightwave before with the old hvīs how it was one of the easiest to setup and work with...though it of course takes some training to understand the shading, but workflow wise..one of the best.

They do listen from time to time, fixing surface adding in new 2018 so we do not get double surfaces(which I often pointed out..and now is fixed) so you need to find out ways to attract their attention.

So have i. Like i cant use TFD and the new volumetrics together. HV and Partlces still have a place for many things. Yes of course that is as much jascha problem as NT. Volumetric objects are good for some things and situations, but in other times they are not. I think now they are knuckling down to sort out modeler, which im greatful for.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2018.4

Very nice Laptop

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415