Thread: NTSC HD media that comes with the Tricaster

NTSC HD media that comes with the Tricaster

Recently I sent my 860 to Utah for service. I got a new SSD startup drive. All of my old sessions are there so I had very little problems getting back up and running.

I don't remember doing it, but at some point, my HD videos, the ones that ship with Tricaster like the double decker bus and the Tram in Las Vegas, had all disappeared. Zane Condren had PM'ed me with a location where I could download them.

I downloaded to my iMac. I copied them to my flash drive and them imported them through the media import tool in the Tricaster. I knew they were there but hadn't tried to play one until a couple of weeks ago. When I load one of the .avi files into the DDR it grays out and won't play. None of the files will play.

I re-imported them and noticed the Transcode buttons were unchecked. I'd never paid attention what happens with other files are being imported. I've re-imported them three times now and they continue to gray out when loaded into the DDR.

I noticed that the Tricaster at our stadium has the same media but they are .mov file rather than .avi files. I wouldn't expect that to be a problem but my files certainly will not play.

Any ideas?
    Tricaster 860 and CS
    3Play 330 and CS

Sony PMW-EX3
    5-Sony HXR-NX5
    Sony Z1-U
    FCP7 & FCPX NLEs
    2-AJA KI PROs
    BM-ATEM 1ME Production Studio
    BM-HyperDeck Shuttle recorder

WOW! I copied the .avi files from my 860 to a thumb drive and opened the drive in my iMac. I attempted to convert the .avi files to mp4 using MPEGStreamclip. Didn't work. Then I tried my Wondershare Video Converter. Kept failing to convert. I tried Compressor. Couldn't convert. I could play the .avi files using VLC, but even then some of the videos would studder. My Tricaster won't convert the files. It's transcode boxes are unchecked and grayed out. I finally deleted the files.
    Tricaster 860 and CS
    3Play 330 and CS

Sony PMW-EX3
    5-Sony HXR-NX5
    Sony Z1-U
    FCP7 & FCPX NLEs
    2-AJA KI PROs

Turns out I'd also copied the .avi files to my E: drive on the 860. They're still duds, though. I need to find the .mov versions.
    Tricaster 860 and CS
    3Play 330 and CS

Sony PMW-EX3
    5-Sony HXR-NX5
    Sony Z1-U
    FCP7 & FCPX NLEs
    2-AJA KI PROs

I imported some of my Drone footage so I would have footage to drop into my DDRs. This footage shows the "lit" transcode buttons when importing where these .avi files downloaded from NewTek as media footage have the transcode buttons gray when importing into my TriCaster 860. It's confusing to say the least. The .avi files were downloaded last November or December from the ftp.newtek.com site.
    Tricaster 860 and CS
    3Play 330 and CS

Sony PMW-EX3
    5-Sony HXR-NX5
    Sony Z1-U
    FCP7 & FCPX NLEs
    2-AJA KI PROs

I was able to download the correct .mov files from the NewTek ftp site. Crazy thing, when importing from the thumb drive into my TriCaster 860, the aerial .mov files I personally shot were shown to be transcoded as they imported because the transcode button beside each file was lit bright blue. Once imported the files played perfectly in the DDR.

But, once downloaded, the .mov files from the NewTek ftp site showed as not needing transcoding during import because the transcode button was gray for those files. They imported OK but when added to the DDR, they are gray, show no time (only dashes) and, of course, won't play. This is how the .avi files of the same video clips downloaded from the NewTek ftp site acted when imported into my Tricaster 860.

I used the same thumb drive with my aerial video clips to try to import one of the new .mov files, just to make sure the problem wasn't with the thumb drive. When selecting an aerial file for import, the trans code button lit up bright blue but the .mov ftp site file did not light the trans code button. After import, the aerial file plays in the DDR while the .mov file from the ftp site will not.
    Tricaster 860 and CS
    3Play 330 and CS

Sony PMW-EX3
    5-Sony HXR-NX5
    Sony Z1-U
    FCP7 & FCPX NLEs
    2-AJA KI PROs

It turns out that when loading video shot by me into the TriCaster 860 using a thumb drive formatted with exFat, the files import and play fine in the DDRs. But, any file, .avi or .mov, downloaded from the NewTek ftp site will import into my TriCaster but will go gray and will not play.

However, Chris Craddock with NewTek support, suggested I try a thumb drive formatted with NTFS for the import into my TriCaster. I freshly formatted a 16GB Toshiba thumb drive with NTFS, copied one of the NewTek ftp site .mov movies and imported the file into my TriCaster, which still didn't light the trans code button, and loaded it into the DDR. It played perfectly. So I copied the rest of the videos from NewTek to the NTFS thumb drive and imported them into my 860. They all play just fine in the DDR.

I use exFat as the format for all of my thumb drives because half of my computers are Macs and exFat works fine in Macs AND PCs. If my drone movies couldn't have imported correctly into my TriCaster, I could understand a problem with the format. But they imported and played fine using the drive formatted with exFat. But the NewTek .mov files would not work with the exFat drive. NTFS was the "fix".

I'm hoping Chris will be able to tell us why.
    Tricaster 860 and CS
    3Play 330 and CS

Sony PMW-EX3
    5-Sony HXR-NX5
    Sony Z1-U
    FCP7 & FCPX NLEs
    2-AJA KI PROs

According to Laura Dominguez (NewTek Customer Support)

"Jun 22, 11:43 CDT
    Hello Bob,

All of our files are designed with NTFS formatting (native Windows format, faster writing speeds). Fat32/exFat tend to have file size restrictions and this is why some folks have issues with sxFat drives when working with video files.

Here's some other info regarding our use of NTFS formatting from our user guide that may have contributed to issues you had:

TriCaster generates metadata attributes for media files for internal use. This metadata is only retained when you export to storage formatted as NTFS. That being said, the metadata is automatically regenerated if you use the files with TriCaster again later, so its loss poses no issue. (Page 452)
    A.4.9 IMPORT/EXPORT FILES LARGER THAN 4 GIGABYTES? This question may arise if you are using external media, perhaps portable hard drives or USB ‘thumb’ drives. These are commonly prepared using the FAT32 file system, which does not support files larger than 4GB. As video files will often exceed this size, FAT32 is not very suitable for use in that context. You should reformat these drives using the NTFS system to eliminate this limitation (or you might consider transferring larger files to TriCaster over a network connection)."

I hope this helps everyone.
    Tricaster 860 and CS
    3Play 330 and CS

Sony PMW-EX3
    5-Sony HXR-NX5
    Sony Z1-U
    FCP7 & FCPX NLEs
    2-AJA KI PROs

Quote Originally Posted by bbailey View Post
    According to Laura Dominguez (NewTek Customer Support)

"Jun 22, 11:43 CDT
    Hello Bob,

All of our files are designed with NTFS formatting (native Windows format, faster writing speeds). Fat32/exFat tend to have file size restrictions and this is why some folks have issues with sxFat drives when working with video files.

Here's some other info regarding our use of NTFS formatting from our user guide that may have contributed to issues you had:

TriCaster generates metadata attributes for media files for internal use. This metadata is only retained when you export to storage formatted as NTFS. That being said, the metadata is automatically regenerated if you use the files with TriCaster again later, so its loss poses no issue. (Page 452)
    A.4.9 IMPORT/EXPORT FILES LARGER THAN 4 GIGABYTES? This question may arise if you are using external media, perhaps portable hard drives or USB ‘thumb’ drives. These are commonly prepared using the FAT32 file system, which does not support files larger than 4GB. As video files will often exceed this size, FAT32 is not very suitable for use in that context. You should reformat these drives using the NTFS system to eliminate this limitation (or you might consider transferring larger files to TriCaster over a network connection)."

I hope this helps everyone.
    I tried re-importing the files I had downloaded from the ftp site after re-formating the drives to NTFS and everything worked like a charm. I suspect that if I had downloaded those files originally, directly to the TriCaster, I'd probably never had the problem. But since the TriCaster "lives" in my production trailer it's not always connected to the internet.
    Tricaster 860 and CS
    3Play 330 and CS

Sony PMW-EX3
    5-Sony HXR-NX5
    Sony Z1-U
    FCP7 & FCPX NLEs
    2-AJA KI PROs