Thread: Connect Studio Monitor to a NDI source over the Internet?

Connect Studio Monitor to a NDI source over the Internet?

I'm going to be doing some testing of Studio Monitor. The Source will be located outside my LAN, over in England (I'm in the US). How do I do that? Perhaps there is a how-to document I can be pointed at?

NDI will not work over public internet by itself. You will need to use an additional tool to make this happen.

Two options are:

Sienna Cloud for NDI
    https://www.ndi.cloud/secure.html

Medialooks Video Transport
    https://www.medialooks.com/video-transport
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

I've worked with Medialooks and as long as you have reasonable bandwidth that has consistent throughput, it's great.

It's also VERY easy to configure.

You just run the transmitter on your sending end and the receive on the other end. You pass the connection point info to the receiving end (it's displayed on the transmitter) and voila, you're moving NDI from one network to another over the internet.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me.

Cheers!

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications

Thanks guys. Unless I am misunderstanding what I read on Medialooks's page, the Free version is all I need for this simple "Is Studio Monitor working" test I need to do. Just a test pattern and a test tone from the public IP source will suffice.

That's it.

Of course you do need PC on either end but the receiver can also run Studio Monitor, too.

Fritz

If you don't want to use a third party program, you can also forward the appropriate ports and connect using the NDI Access Manager directly. This is with the caveat that *anybody* can do the exact same thing since NDI has no security implementation (albeit, extremely unlikely since they'd have to know there's an NDI feed on that specific IP).

Quote Originally Posted by CorsairSolution View Post
    If you don't want to use a third party program, you can also forward the appropriate ports and connect using the NDI Access Manager directly. This is with the caveat that *anybody* can do the exact same thing since NDI has no security implementation (albeit, extremely unlikely since they'd have to know there's an NDI feed on that specific IP).
    Also, be aware that with this method you will need the match the bandwidth and latency requirements.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

With firewalling it is fine running an open unsecure connection over the Internet. Just set up the firewall to the following:

WAN side: allow connections from a specific numeric external source connecting to the internal NDI destination
    LAN side: allow connections from the internal NDI source to the specific numeric external destination.

Anyone who is not an approved external address will not be able to connect or even know the stream exists.

This connection should be wired. Using wifi with this means the packets are flying through the air and anyone on that same SSID can sniff them.

By doing this with an all-wired connection, your only real concern is Three Letter Agencies watching your unencrypted stream as it crosses the planet on the public Internet.