Thread: Tricaster Mini (standard edition) + HDMI Extender + CAT7

HDMI Extender + CAT7 + Tricaster Mini (standard edition)

Hi there,

Trying to figure out why my Tricaster mini cant accept video signal when connection hdmi extender transmitter on camera and hdmi extender reciever on the Tricaster mini - connecting with CAT7 cable.

Connecting the camera directly to the monitor - does work.

Any idea why it doesn't work with CAT7?

Thanks,
    Tomer
    Last edited by Tomerson; 05-20-2018 at 02:02 PM. Reason: change title

The problem may be with the extender, not the cable, as such. I'm far from the biggest proponent of HDBaseT, which is becoming more common, and older extender methods are even less reliable. I've I used both for output only over moderate distances without being overjoyed with the results. I cannot imagine myself relying on it for input.

You might try using a short cat 5 or cat 6 cable just to see if it makes a difference.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Hi Tomer,

I had the same issue last year when trying an HDMI extender with the Mini. No signal into Mini, but if I unplugged from Mini and went direct into HDMI display, worked perfectly! So there was a signal coming from the extender set, but Mini could not sync up with it.

Is my belief that something with the extender units are not allowing the Mini HDMI input card to properly handshake with the camera at the other end. Perhaps try an EDID Emulator box at the TriCaster end, to "fool" the Mini into thinking it is connected to whatever HDMI format you have programmed into the EDID unit.

For better results, might want to look at the Newtek Connect Spark unit and just use NDI moving forward. I did a 3-hour live television broadcast over the weekend and one of the cameras was the PTZ1 with video and control via direct 200' CAT-6 cable connection between TC1 and camera, NDI-HX worked beautifully! Would expect no less from Spark unit.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Thank you SBowie,
    I'm still looking for a solution to connect the camera from a distance point and transmit to the Tricaster - I only want that it will work.
    Doesn't care if its cable or wireless just for the results.

Thanks again,
    Tomer

Hi JPulera,

Never heard about EDID Emulator before. will try to google it.
    The point is that I already lost money on the extenders and the CAT7 cable because it didn't work.

I'm looking for a solution that do work. don't have time to waist in experiments and loosing more money for nothing.

Will look more into the Spark solutions.

Eventually thats a good idea to have as a content on Newtek website - How to connect with long distance end point cameras.

Thank you,
    Tomer

I think there is probably a couple more things to try before calling it a complete loss. I use these a lot. Like Steve mentions they are not always the best solution. Some times it takes a couple tricks and things to make it work. Here are a couple suggestions.

Try short runs of Cat 5,6, & 7 (Like 15 ft)
    Try unplugging and then plugging them back in power, network cable and HDMI
    Try running them to another source other than the Tricaster like a monitor

The whole point is to try to find your exact issue. I have two boxes rated up to 400 ft and can only get 300 ft out of them. You might try to get some different cable. I use a special shielded round network cable. It cost about double but allows me to coil it after events and works much better outdoors. We typically leave these in place for all of baseball and softball season. My boxes are J-Tech boxes.
    Last edited by Radio_TVPat1982; 05-22-2018 at 06:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomerson View Post
    Thank you SBowie,
    I'm still looking for a solution to connect the camera from a distance point and transmit to the Tricaster - I only want that it will work.
    Doesn't care if its cable or wireless just for the results.

Thanks again,
    Tomer
    Have you considered a Connect Spark, that will allow you to ingest the HDMI signal and output NDI which you can then select as a source on your MINI.

-Steve
    Sr. Director, Marketing Services
    NewTek
    San Antonio, TX

Hi Spaulsen,

I wish I could. Spoke to the local distributer - he told me that its not allowed to use Connect Spark because of the frequency and currently he is waiting for the Connect Spark Pro.

The NDI with Connect Spark could a great solution.

thanks,

Tomer

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomerson View Post
    Hi there,

Trying to figure out why my Tricaster mini cant accept video signal when connection hdmi extender transmitter on camera and hdmi extender reciever on the Tricaster mini - connecting with CAT7 cable.

Connecting the camera directly to the monitor - does work.

Any idea why it doesn't work with CAT7?

Thanks,
    Tomer
    I had a lot of issues setting this up, but after a lot of trial and error, I found this worked for us. We had a ton of electromagnetic interference because our building is old, and this solved things. Don't know if this will work for you, but this is what worked for us.

1. Buy SHIELDED CAT5/6/7 cable - it doesn't matter if it's CAT5, CAT6 or CAT7. Usually around $140 for a 1000' box on Amazon.
    2. The HDMI extenders are very important too, and there's a lot of junk out there that overpromises and underdelivers. After trying three different brands, we found a solution from Startech that was rated for 330ft; each set was ~$300/ea.

Good luck!