Thread: Tricaster 460 with Solid State Drives

Tricaster 460 with Solid State Drives

Is it possible to image the original Tricaster Drive to a 2TB SSD. Obviously this configuration is not supported per Tricaster Support but has anyone done this configuration? The unit is 4plus years old so obviously out of warranty as well. I plan on installing a 2TB SSD for the Boot and another 2TB SSD for extra storage. Prices have come down a bit to afford to do this. Also is it beneficial to upgrade the Ram from 8G to 16G. Just hate not being able to upgrade the unit to more modern Technology. Granted have been looking at selling the unit and moving on to Vmix custom builds as another alternative if the system is so restrictive on upgrading.

I would hope the SSD's would increase the performance and load times of content and such.

Any thoughts on this?

Willshoe
    Last edited by willshoe; 05-19-2018 at 10:04 AM.

I've heard of people replacing the drive. It's not something that NewTek supports, but since it is out of warranty, I'm guessing that you aren't as concerned. If you did have to send it in for repair it would have to be converted back to the stock setup.

While a SSD would improve boot and start up performance if you where to replace the C: drive, but I don't think you will see as huge difference with a content drive. Certainly it be will faster with a speed test, but since you are usually recording and playing back media from this drive, it just needs to be 'fast enough' to do what is needed. Having twice the performance to play a QuickTime video doesn't really appear any faster and you would be paying over eight times more for a SSD to do what a HDD can in this case.

Beyond that, you need to think of TriCaster as an appliance and not a general computer. While it is certainly a computer, the software on it is designed for the hardware it is built with. Unlike other solutions that have hardware configurations all over the place and when new releases come out you might need to purchase new hardware to make it work, you can expect all TriCaster software to perform correctly for the hardware it was designed on. When new software releases come out, you don't have to upgrade hardware because the software is designed to run correctly on that hardware already.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Can get 2tb SSD's now for $300. so going to make the boot drive the SSD with a D partition for content. and another 2TB SSHD Hybrid for 99.00 for the extra storage. Granted I think the SSD will help with loading times of projects and content plus the virtual set editor should respond pretty quick as well. I will post results and comparisons of before and after if interested. Granted I do have a separate editing station with dedicated SSD cache drives for Adobe products which help tremendously but then again apples and oranges .