Thread: Trouble logging into Ustream

Trouble logging into Ustream

860AE original version -
    After not using my Ustream acct for a while tried to log in with the Tricaster t his morning.
    Wont Authenticate so I can choose the channel I want.
    Never changed anything. Tried creating a new connection. no dice.
    Tried creating a new session.... that did not help either.

Tried the Legacy version and no problem.

Does anyone know of some change needed?

I see on the Ustream site there is something called "Device" which you have to create a password for.....
    Never had to use it and since the Legacy settings work I am miffed.

If anyone knows the key to this I would appreciate help.
    Thanks
    Ed
    Toasting since 1990
    Tricaster 855 Owner

UStream has been purchased by IBM, so it really isn't UStream like it was anymore, it is 'IBM Cloud Video'.

Use the 'Custom' streaming connection instead of Legacy which will get you the new (better) streaming engine in AE while still streaming out RTMP/Flash.

I also have a tool called 'StreamID' that makes it easy to transfer streaming URL and Key information from one system to your TriCaster instead of having to type in the data. You can download it free here: http://kanelp7.wixsite.com/kanesworld/streamid
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Thanks for the info..... now the CUSTOM feature in my version of AE is inside the Legacy section.
    Does that that CUSTOM take advantage of the new AE streaming engine?
    I tried comparing the Legacy Ustream with using the Custom feature and inputing the RTMP stuff and the
    video seems to look a lot better in Custom... just wierd that its inside "Legacy"
    Ed
    Toasting since 1990
    Tricaster 855 Owner

I don't have a system with AE1 on it to check. But on my AE2 system there is a 'Custom' under the 'New Connection' selection. In Legacy the option is called 'Flash'.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180518_215749410_iOS.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	2.54 MB 
ID:	141759
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.

Thanks Kane. I think for many reasons I probably have to byte the bullet soon and update to the newest AE.
    Been dragging my feet for many reasons - some not reasons any more but did not like the interface when I tried it... so went back to
    version one. Dont really have a need for NDI... but miss the encoding utility which is now inside rather than a separate utility.
    (and a limited NDI is on AE1 anyway)

Ed
    Toasting since 1990
    Tricaster 855 Owner

Ed, neither of my Tricasters - 460AE2 and TC1 - can currently directly log in to UStream/IBM Cloud Video. You'll not find that making the update helps with this particular problem. We're currently streaming with an external solution, as re-inventing the wheel, using additional tools (though it's an appreciated solution, Kane) etc. is just too frustrating for the high pace of our work.
    E. Lee Dickinson | President
    Advanced Visual Production | sound.lighting.video.design
    www.avprva.com

Tricaster 850, 460AE, and TC-1
    JVC GY-HM200u, Canon XLH1, Fieldcast and BMD Fiber

Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.

Had the same problem, but had to go to the RMTP codes and Stream setting. After doing that it work great. I downloaded the xlr file and had TriCaster import the settings.

Grabbing the RTMP settings or downloading the XML file is fine for experienced users. Figuring out which method will work week-to-week is obnoxious.

But if something doesn't work the way it's intended, that thing is broken. The Tricaster is supposed to offer easy streaming to popular CDNs, and includes a UStream plugin/preset for this reason. Newtek has told me, "Ustream changed the way they handle logins."

That's all well and good. But it works just fine in Wirecast. Why are they able to keep up with the changes in login procedure, but Newtek is not?

And it's not just UStream. Variations in how we stream to Facebook pages vs. groups, YouTube events vs. golive - it's all inconsistent. Kane is a hero, but seriously... a Newtek employee shouldn't be having to help users out by developing a settings import tool in his personal time. That's completely ridiculous.

Just adding to all my posts: I'm frustrated and venting, but hopeful. I'm having a bit of a crisis of faith, and hope to hear from others to either affirm my frustrations [and thus nudge Newtek towards improving the update process] or give me some guidance on how to alleviate them.
    Last edited by Lee-AVP; 06-13-2018 at 10:16 AM.
    www.avprva.com

I'll just say that keeping up with a dozen or more CDNs who can make changes *without warning and who each can offer multiple platforms and options is seriously non-trivial. Whenever these changes happen, we have to a) find out about it, b) figure out what the heck they've done now, c) determine which products and versions are affected, d) find and implement ways to solve the problem (where possible), then e) test the fixes, and sometimes, f) wait for other updates in progress to successfully go through the same processes before releasing a version that rolls up multiple bugfixes. Some of these steps are probably considerably less complex for a 'one-trick pony'. (*As personal observation, it seems like the bigger the CDN, the more likely they are to just break something and let the chips fall where they may.)

This is not to dismiss the fact that it can be frustrating, just trying to explain that those involved here aren't just staring out the window as these things happen, but rather are scrambling to fix them as fast as they can.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I am absolutely certain this is much more frustrating for you guys, Steve. We have our individual customers to worry about - you even more so as you have all of us WITH all of our individual customers to keep happy. I think we all get that.

Do the CDN's (and Microsoft, for that matter) not give you guys ample notice of API changes? Newtek would seem to be a pretty high-ranking affiliate partner for Usteam. If they're not giving you guys the time you need to develop and QA log-in changes, that is obnoxious. Maybe their new IBM overlords are less willing to have tea with your guys than they were before?

Thanks for your comments. It genuinely helps to get some inside perspective.
    www.avprva.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lee-AVP View Post
    I am absolutely certain this is much more frustrating for you guys, Steve.
    Oh, I wouldn't go that far. You guys are right out there on the firing line, and I know from personal experience what that can be like when a catastrophic failure occurs. I really don't mean to trivialize your situation, only to say that we're responding as fast as possible.

IDo the CDN's (and Microsoft, for that matter) not give you guys ample notice of API changes?
    Well, may I just say "~!@#$!!" ... though not all are equally guilty. There have been some who really tick me off, though others do much better in this respect.

Thanks for your comments. It genuinely helps to get some inside perspective.
    You mentioned, I believe, a UStream issue. There was a UStream plugin installation issue in 2-6 a little while back that we fixed, but you're running a TC1, which means its a different matter - which, unfortunately, is still making its way through engineering. I'm sorry, i'll try to update this as soon as I can. Have you tried using a Custom profile to circumvent the issue, or is that not possible?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    You mentioned, I believe, a UStream issue. There was a UStream plugin installation issue in 2-6 a little while back that we fixed, but you're running a TC1, which means its a different matter - which, unfortunately, is still making its way through engineering. I'm sorry, i'll try to update this as soon as I can. Have you tried using a Custom profile to circumvent the issue, or is that not possible?
    Custom profiles are no problem at all for our more experienced techs and when we have a little bit of pre-production time. But we are accustomed to being able to sit just about anyone down and tell them "plug in the username and password and off you go." It's also more challenging when a customer comes up at the very last minute and says "Hey, we've decided to stream to our campus events channel instead of to our student activities channel." That used to be a drop-down list; now it's a log-in-and-admin-and-cut-and-paste process.
    www.avprva.com

Custom profiles are no problem at all for our more experienced techs and when we have a little bit of pre-production time. But we are accustomed to being able to sit just about anyone down and tell them "plug in the username and password and off you go." It's also more challenging when a customer comes up at the very last minute and says "Hey, we've decided to stream to our campus events channel instead of to our student activities channel." That used to be a drop-down list; now it's a log-in-and-admin-and-cut-and-paste process.
    Gotcha.

In the interest of transparency, I'm going to add to what I've previously written to own up to the fact that sometimes this IS our fault, and sometimes it HAS taken longer than strictly necessary.

In reviewing the UStream login issue this morning, it became obvious that this had not been given the prompt attention it should have had. As a result, we did two things: First, Andrew personally kicked the priority of this case to the highest level. Second, we made a revision to the way we route bug cases that should prevent a future issue from being inadvertently side-railed the way this one was. (We'll probably find new ways to err, but at least this won't happen again.) Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator