Thread: Rigging Question

Rigging Question

Hi,

I'm pretty new to rigging and I was wondering if any one could anwser a question. I watched this advert done in Lightwave + Octane and I was wondering what they are using to control the wings. It looks like a bezier curve or spline, anyone know how this is done and what tools would've been used.

Thanks

The advert
    https://vimeo.com/269273653

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wings.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	359.9 KB 
ID:	141740

Ok, that looks like the spline control is being used, something that was introduced a couple releases ago. Obviously, the bones/joints are hidden from view. As for what tools are being used, I'm fairly certain it could've been done in vanilla Lightwave. Someone who knows more about rigging than I would have to say for sure, though.

Neat commercial, too. The eagles are particularly impressive.
    --------
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Thanks Kryslin, yeah it is very cool.

Hey there, I'm the user that developed the eagle rig for Able VFX. I happened across this video which led me here. (note: not French. I'm one of those American types)

Thank you kindly for the kindly words. Quick and dirty explanation, it's a combination of endomorphs and bones. Endomorphs for gross adjustments, bending the feathers up+down and spreading+contracting tail feathers. The rest of feather control comes a from dividing the wing feathers into groups (13 groups/wing in this case) and weighting each feather group to their own bone. Those bones are then (a) parented to the appropriate wing bone, (b) targeted to an individual null (which is hidden in the video) that sits on a DPSpline (I needed the covered percent available in DPSpline vs LW's built in), and (c) assigned a pole item to control banking (the pole is parented to the same wing bone).

If people are interested I might do a longer write up/video on how it worked and possibly delve into the decision making process for the rig. It got the results we needed for that particular bird, but it's not the most perfect solution. The DPSpline requires a fair amount of keyframe wrangling, and it doesn't allow for perfectly folded wings (groomed the second bird wing feathers by hand).

But the number one thing I would suggest is getting Rebel Hill's Rigging training. I don't think I really did anything that i didn't learn in that training. A seriously invaluable resource.
    Last edited by gra; 05-23-2018 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gra View Post
    Hey there, I'm the user that developed the eagle rig for Able VFX. I happened across this video which led me here. (note: not French. I'm one of those American types)

Thank you kindly for the kindly words. Quick and dirty explanation, it's a combination of endomorphs and bones. Endomorphs for gross adjustments, bending the feathers up+down and spreading+contracting tail feathers. The rest of feather control comes a from dividing the wing feathers into groups (13 groups/wing in this case) and weighting each feather group to their own bone. Those bones are then (a) parented to the appropriate wing bone, (b) targeted to an individual null (which is hidden in the video) that sits on a DPSpline (I needed the covered percent available in DPSpline vs LW's built in), and (c) assigned a pole item to control banking (the pole is parented to the same wing bone).

If people are interested I might do a longer write up/video on how it worked and possibly delve into the decision making process for the rig. It got the results we needed for that particular bird, but it's not the most perfect solution. The DPSpline requires a fair amount of keyframe wrangling, and it doesn't allow for perfectly folded wings (groomed the second bird wing feathers by hand).

But the number one thing I would suggest is getting Rebel Hill's Rigging training. I don't think I really did anything that i didn't learn in that training. A seriously invaluable resource.
    I would be very interested indeed on a longer video of how you did it, fantastic rigging work indeed. So then this would not be possible to replicate in LW 2018 as there is not a DP Kit update from Denis.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2018.4

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    So then this would not be possible to replicate in LW 2018 as there is not a DP Kit update from Denis.
    i just threw together a small test and i think you can do it in 2018 with the built in Spline Deformer. it just won't be as friendly because you'd have to use the Z Position of the target vs the "Covered Percent" to determine where it lies on the spline.

Glad to hear it, but yes another reason to miss Denis P stuff not being 2018 friendly in the nodes and surfaces department.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2018.4

Very nice Laptop

I'd be very interested in seeing a longer video about the rigging of those eagles.

And, I agree - RH's rigging tutorials are invaluable.
    --------
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.