Thread: Coming from Lightwave V 9, version 2018 seems to be broken, no motion render options

Coming from Lightwave V 9, version 2018 seems to be broken, no motion render options

I took advantage of the upgrade from V 9 to LW 2018 and I'm not too happy about it. I am trying to render a sequence to a motion file and very few fields in the Output tab of the Render window do anything. Very frustrating. Considering going back to V 9.

Frequenter
    I am not really sure what exactly you mean by "very few fields ... do anything" - but for the output saver to do its job you need to have it checked next to the channel you want to end up on disk. Final Render should be active by default but all other need to be activated by the user: first activate the buffers you want to be rendered in the buffers tab, next you have to check those in the output tab.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018_0_4__RenderProperties_Buffers.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	141738Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018_0_4__RenderProperties_Output.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	141737

LW2018 is very different from prior versions in many ways. One of the significant changes is how output of rendering is managed, based upon many different output buffer possibilities to enable advanced compositing or post-production manipulation.

To get an Animation (which I believe is what you mean by "motion render" or "motion file") by clicking in the Save column for Animation, selecting the animation type and compression options as you did in LW9:

Name:	UsingAnimationOutputType.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	141739

mTp

Thank you fishhead and MonroePoteet. With no buttons, it is more difficult to see where to click to choose options. Even after "animation" is enabled, you still have to click the fields below even if they are highlighted to make them active. This will take some getting used to. I haven't used LW is years and it will take some catching up. I've been spending my time with programming robotics lately. But now I have to make some animations for the products involved. Your help is much appreciated.

LightWave 2018 is a big leap forward from 2015, and it's taken me a while to make the adjustment to 2018. I can only imagine how difficult that would be to transition from LW9 since LightWave was a completely different animal back then. Then again, I can't imagine ever wanting to go back to LW9.

I suggest keeping LW9 on your system so you have something you can personally depend on for work since it's what you're familiar with, but keep working with 2018 as much as you can to learn it.

IMO, learning the more modern version of LightWave will be worth the effort in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    LightWave 2018 is a big leap forward from 2015, and it's taken me a while to make the adjustment to 2018. I can only imagine how difficult that would be to transition from LW9 since LightWave was a completely different animal back then. Then again, I can't imagine ever wanting to go back to LW9.

I suggest keeping LW9 on your system so you have something you can personally depend for work, but keep working with 2018 as much as you can.

IMO, learning the more modern version of LightWave will be worth the effort in the long run.
    There's no problem keeping ALL the previous versions if you have them but V9 is reaching back quite a ways.

Consider 2018 like a freshly draw, very hot bath. Ease in & eventually you'll get to that Ahhh moment.

With that said, many of the issues & problems jumping in with 2018 as indicated by topics & replies on the Forums overall, IMO have been self inflicted. There are fundamental changes with aspects that are now interrelated, combine that with some UI changes and getting lost & frstrated is all but guaranteed.

Work your way slowly through the free Rebel Hill vids on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY3K...MnKF7-4W84I5Tz

But if you only have time for one to start with, I'd suggest this posted by Andrew Comb. It touchs on several key things in the RH vids, but much sooner & they're kinda key to working with surfaces, lights & multiple options & settings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72AAwSFx4nA

Wish he'd fix the hideous hum in this vid (hint, hint).

Quote Originally Posted by PabloMack View Post
    Thank you fishhead and MonroePoteet. With no buttons, it is more difficult to see where to click to choose options. Even after "animation" is enabled, you still have to click the fields below even if they are highlighted to make them active. This will take some getting used to. I haven't used LW is years and it will take some catching up. I've been spending my time with programming robotics lately. But now I have to make some animations for the products involved. Your help is much appreciated.
    If you're doing robotic motion animations, I think it'd definitely be worth checking into the Bullet constraints such as Hinges. I've attached a very quick robotic arm scene using Bullet Hinges with Motors.

Name:	Bullet_RobotArm_HingesWithMotors_000.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	141751 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bullet_RobotArm_HingesWithMotors_042.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	114.3 KB 
ID:	141752

Name:	Bullet_RobotArm_HingesWithMotors_203.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	141753 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bullet_RobotArm_HingesWithMotors_226.jpg 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	141754

Bullet_RobotArm_HingesWithMotors.mov

If you have two parts of a robotic arm, for example, you position them where they'd normally have a hinge and set the fixed portion to be a Bullet Static object and the moveable portion to be a Bullet Rigid object.

For the hinge, you add a Null, set it to a Bullet Hinge using the button on the FX Tools tab, and position it where the physical hinge would be. You orient it correctly (in the sample I rotated the Null 90 degrees in Heading to align with the way I wanted the arm to pivot.

In the Bullet Item Properties, you specify the two geometric items to be hinged in the boxes given. The Motor tab allows you to add a Motor to the Hinge, which has two basic parameters: the torque (Motor Force) and the target rotation speed.

Name:	Bullet_HingesWithMotors.jpg 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	141755

In the sample scene, I added a third Rigid arm segment and a second Hinge, and used an Envelope on the Hinges's target rotation speed to vary the direction of motion of the two arm segments.

Have fun!
    mTp
    Attached Files Attached Files