Thread: LW2018 and point light lens flares: secret sauce?

LW2018 and point light lens flares: secret sauce?

I was using lens flares on point lights in 2015.3, with a rotating star filter for that "photon torpedo" look as the lights danced about. I can't seem to get the flares to appear at all in 2018.0.4. I've gone over the docs, tried to import a scene where they worked in 2015, and tried to create a new point light from scratch. So far as I know I've enabled everything I'm supposed to. Nothing at all, not in VPR or in F9 renders.

Here's a shot of what I'm seeing as well as all the pertinent (so far as I know) config windows.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-05-16 at 7.01.15 AM.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	141720

Any and all ideas as to what I'm doing wrong are very welcome. Thanks in advance!
    “There may be people that have more talent than you, but there’s no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.” ~ Derek Jeter

iMac Pro
    "iCan" Mac Pro
    MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis

Remember lens flares only show up in a Camera view. With the new volumetric system they are super awesome now!
    Last edited by Tim Parsons; 05-16-2018 at 07:06 AM.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Remember lens flares only show up in a Camera view. With the new volumetric system they are super awesome now!
    I saw that, but that's supposed to be a camera view in that screenshot.
    “There may be people that have more talent than you, but there’s no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.” ~ Derek Jeter

iMac Pro
    "iCan" Mac Pro
    MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis

Yeah, that VPR shot is of my camera view. Also, this is an F9 render: nothing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	885.4 KB 
ID:	141724

I've tried it with and without volumetrics enabled, and also with and without legacy volumetrics; no difference. If there's some (to me) obscure checkbox that's off by default in 2018 I haven't been able to find it.

iMac Pro
    "iCan" Mac Pro
    MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis

Well in that case the "secret sauce" is to just turn them on. As far as I can tell you've got that covered. What version are you running? Might be a Mac thing. It looks like the light might be in an enclosed area so it could be a glow behind or fade behind issue. Clear your scene and try it just against an all black background.
    Last edited by Tim Parsons; 05-16-2018 at 07:38 AM.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

Okay, weird. I cleared the scene, dropped just a single point light into the empty space, and now the flares work.

Oi.

This is why I drink.

iMac Pro
    "iCan" Mac Pro
    MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Well in that case the "secret sauce" is to just turn them on. As far as I can tell you've got that covered. What version are you running? Might be a Mac thing.
    Heh. Methinks today's secret sauce is going to be a good single malt. Something must be borked in the scene file. Just gonna start afresh and bring the objects back in and declare victory. Thanks for the help!

iMac Pro
    "iCan" Mac Pro
    MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis

No problem. Declare victory - I like that.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.