Thread: Cisco POE

Cisco POE

We've got 2 PTZ1 cameras and they aren't properly working with Cisco POE+ switches. I've tried both a Catalyst 2960X and 3850 and they'll provide 15watts but won't negotiate any more power. We'll get video signal like this but don't get PTZ function. Having read documentation on POE+ implementation there's 2 ways to negotiate more power, one through signature resistors, and another through lldp. I've monitored traffic from the camera and there's no lldp packets at all. Does anyone know how the PTZ1 camera implement POE+? Has anyone got this working on a Cisco switch? I did another test on a Juniper EX4200 switch and everything works, but I'd rather use the Cisco.

In a word... no.
    Got a bunch of these cameras and they won't work anywhere on campus via POE+
    We have x4 Panasonic NDi cams and they work fine on POE+

I haven't used those particular switches but have run into this on others. Depending on the the available power and whats being used the switch determines if a port can be powered so there may not be enough available power which is why you are only getting 15 watts. So instead of the 802.3at PoE outputting at the maximum of about 25w your getting 802.3af PoE which maxes out at about 15w. I would check to see how many 802.3at PoE devices you have running. Also, any chance the power on the ports are specifically set to static with the port preconfigured to a max watt setting (possibly to 802.3af PoE)? May try switching it to auto?

I've had both happen, too many 802.3at PoE devices on the switch so not all got full power or the port having been set to a specific max wattage.

Regards,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by kuffner View Post
    We've got 2 PTZ1 cameras and they aren't properly working with Cisco POE+ switches. I've tried both a Catalyst 2960X and 3850 and they'll provide 15watts but won't negotiate any more power. We'll get video signal like this but don't get PTZ function. Having read documentation on POE+ implementation there's 2 ways to negotiate more power, one through signature resistors, and another through lldp. I've monitored traffic from the camera and there's no lldp packets at all. Does anyone know how the PTZ1 camera implement POE+? Has anyone got this working on a Cisco switch? I did another test on a Juniper EX4200 switch and everything works, but I'd rather use the Cisco.
    Sr. Director, Marketing Services
    NewTek
    San Antonio, TX