Thread: Move Presets Folder

Move Presets Folder

I should know the answer to this but I do not.

I am having a wee bit of an issue getting LW 2015 to recognize the new Presets folder located on a different hard-drive. The paths are all set to the new location but when a scene is loaded and I go to change a object surface the Surface Preset pop up shows only

(custom) WorkSpace pull down menu and the only option is Workspace and it's empty.

How do I get LW to recognize the new preset folder location?
    Design Starts with a Blank Sheet

It might be that you don't have the SURFACE Editor open when you press the Presets button. I have done this too! If you do have Surface Editor open when you open presets and it still doesn't find them, and you have the folders set....not sure.

Yes, all the default folder positions including Presets are move to alternate hard-drive because I do not want them on C drive. LW provides the option to set specific directories. What I noticed in the LW cfg file is the only folder that was not auto updated was the Preset Folder that seemed odd to me.

I manually added the correct folder position tot he cfg file saved.

After shutting down LW2105 and closing the LWHub then restart LW the same issue LW does not recognize the new Preset Folder because obviously it looking to the Newtek folder on C drive not the new location.

Here is the directory listing after update as you can see the Presets folder is not auto added while all the others are in the correct location

-------------------
    DirectoryType Motions E:\content\Motions
    DirectoryType Envelopes E:\content\Envelopes
    DirectoryType Animations E:\Animations
    DirectoryType Nodes E:\content\Nodes
    DirectoryType Sounds E:\content\Sounds
    DirectoryType Dynamics E:\content\Dynamics
    DirectoryType Rigs E:\content\Rigs
    DirectoryType Lights E:\content\Lights
    DirectoryType Radiosity E:\content\Radiosity
    DirectoryType ColorTables C:\Users\scoca\OneDrive\Documents\LightWave3D_Cont ent\ColorTables
    DirectoryType ImageCache C:\Users\scoca\OneDrive\Documents\LightWave3D_Cont ent\ImageCache
    DirectoryType VertCache E:\content\VertCache
    DirectoryType Backup C:\Users\scoca\OneDrive\Documents\LightWave3D_Cont ent\Backup
    DirectoryType Plug-ins C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave_2015.3\support\plugins
    DirectoryType Scenes E:\content\scenes
    DirectoryType SceneFile E:\content\scenes\sphere\
    DirectoryType Surfaces E:\content\Surfaces
    DirectoryType Shaders E:\content\shaders
    DirectoryType Settings C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave_2015.3\support\plugins\Meta Mesh\
    DirectoryType Settings C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave_2015.3\support\plugins\Meta Mesh\

-----------------------------------------------

This is a tad frustrating

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	e.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	825.4 KB 
ID:	141707
    Last edited by britepencil; 05-14-2018 at 05:18 PM.

You might want to take a look at this for Startup Options:

https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display...zing+LightWave

When you do this though, somethings like LWCad can't use it's installer requiring manual install.

Good suggestion, I've given that a go and even deleted the entire folder and still nadda. The new Preset Folder is not recognized by LW.

Why a simple thing as moving a folder location is so dang difficult in Lightwave is beyond me when there is a clear option to do so.

on a Mac the reason would most likely be because the folder does not have the correct user permissions, meaning it must be both readable and writable for the user, I know Windows uses permissions these days but how I'm not sure, but still the most likely problem would be one of having the correct read and write permissions, there must be a config dialogue owned by the system (not LW) that can tell you what the configuration would be.

It's been resolved with help from Lightwave support, I was under the impression that the Path setup was for moving/assigning the builtin preset to an alternate location, not true. Setting the Preset location is for an extended Preset files ONLY. The built In preset section is locked for security reasons.

The steps to get this working correctley

1. create a empty main folder on an alternate HD
    2. Open the Paths configureation
    3. Click the Preset button
    4. Select your alternative Preset folder

This wil auto assign empty set of default folders

at this point manually add your preset (pst files) to the new location.