Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Lw2018.... A magazine review

What software isn’t unstable after updates? I use Maya for work and the forums make interesting reading. There have been timely LW fixes since release so can anyone really make an informed judgement on a 30 day trial in that regard? Maybe the trial should be longer as with ZBrush. So it goes.

The renderer is a huge step forward and worth the price of upgrade alone. It’s very close to Arnold. Can you really expect much better? Side by side comparisons, swapping out scenes hold up very well. Not bad for a cheap upgrade with no subs.

Then there are the under the hood changes. We’re already seeing corrective morphing and animated sculpting (albeit in a plugin which thankfully is good value). If you animate, Genoma is a godsend. Even Maya doesn’t have a pro built in autorigger (Quickrig which doesn’t even have digits or footroll doesn’t count).

Yes, Modeler, once LW’s great strength has really fallen behind so that is definitely good reason to dock a star in a review. The only way to modernise it is to add 3rd Powers tools and LWCad, but these are cheap good quality tools which radically enhance creative workflow. If you’re really serious about modelling and texturing you use Zbrush.

Andrew’s article is sound and one look at his artwork and technical knowledge is enough to qualify him as an informed incisive reviewer.

Hence my curiosity regarding the constant whining that goes on here from certain sources who rarely if ever share links to their work or the merest glimpse of creativity.
    Last edited by bobakabob; 05-16-2018 at 03:42 PM.
    Art and photography Flickr site
    Animation, facial rigging, modelling ArtStation
    Assorted animations Robert Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by bobakabob View Post
    Hence my curiosity regarding the constant whining that goes on here from certain sources who rarely if ever share links to their work or the merest glimpse of creativity.
    And there you answered my question.....it is only those "whiners", people who rub you the wrong way because you disagree with them, whose work you seem to request to see. Not the cheerleaders, fanboys or people who happens to share your POV. Now, why is that? (Just curious if you know the answer to that question?)
    Last edited by Wickedpup; 05-16-2018 at 03:56 PM.

There are plenty folk with constructive views both positive and negative about software you’d be more inclined to take seriously because firstly you can see what they actually do with it and secondly they contribute knowledge to the community. So Andrew is qualified more than most to write a review about LW.

Was it Wilde who said, “It is a truth universally acknowledged that trolls rarely if ever share links to their work.”?

There are plenty folk with constructive views both positive and negative about software you’d be more inclined to take seriously because firstly you can see what they actually do with it and secondly they contribute knowledge to the community. So Andrew is qualified more than most to write a review about LW.

Was it Wilde who said, “It is a truth universally acknowledged that trolls rarely if ever share links to their work.”?
    And when did I speak of Andrews qualifications? For certain nowhere in this thread.......I only disagreed with his score on features (with a capitalized IMO)....but clearly that opinion makes me a troll according to you. Now, what does that make you, I wonder?

And knowing what features are available or not in a software compared to another is not reflected in my capabilities and skill level with them.....all it requires is a bit of reading. Point being that I haven´t used Maya much (as an example)....but I know enough about it to rank it higher than LW. Same would go for Houdini.
    Last edited by Wickedpup; 05-16-2018 at 06:20 PM.

Here's some other reviews and thoughts from non-lw users and ex lw users.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...?f=2&t=1486793

https://community.foundry.com/discus...update?page=13

yes please read LW reviews from non-lw users ... hahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by samurai_x View Post

Overall, fairly positive responses.
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

I think it is fairly easy to dismiss any negativity there - one guy says "I think, I'll hold until Lightwave 19 or even 20" - a bit fickle, no ? If LW2018 had simply never come out, would some people actually breathe relief that they could finally focus on all that "better" software out there ? Since LW is a generalist app - I think Rob described it "for one guy to do it all end to end" - it is not going to be all things for every specific scenario. So other specialized software might be able to solve some problems in a simpler step than LW, but we'd be getting into a chicken and egg thing there. That's what I don't really get when someone kindly makes a LW plugin, only for others to say "Shoulda been incorporated in native LW from the beginning". But I don't necessarily think it is right to flag people up for not posting work because that gets into criticizing someone's work with an altogether different motive, which can escalate and is not a good place to go.
    Last edited by TheLexx; 05-17-2018 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrot View Post
    yes please read LW reviews from non-lw users ... hahaha!
    Non-LW users....ex-LW users....all potential customers if you ask me. So ignoring their perception of LW sounds like a daft business advice.

Thumbs down

I posit this
    If you slang off a Review or PlugIn or a Release
    While openly admitting not looking trying or Buying it !

Then by the Laws of Discord you Are being Abusive & an Disruptional S.O.B.

Time for a 6 month Ban & Posts that where pertinent filleted out permanently.
    I am fedup of Disrailer's hijacking posts like this .......IT IS time to act.

My thoughts Quote from Orginal Post
    I for one, was worried if 2018 would ever gain magazine space, but Andrew Combs review is deftly done.
    Just enough vibe on update facts and kudos tempered by the concerns of user /up-graders creates a very
    good balance that does not put you off.

Thats enough for any sane person to get a grip on the Review?
    Maybe we all need a clean bill of Mental Health & proof of Medii's
    from our Doctors before we can post in the future.

Another spoilt experience for me. lol

Renee on Lightwiki has it right, quote "Don't Whine..Press F9"
    Last edited by ianr; 05-17-2018 at 06:54 AM.

It was horrible. I don't know why they made it so cheesy. I couldn't even finish watching it. Probably one of my top 10 worst anime of all time. I don't watch a lot but this one deserves top 10.
    LOL... I haven't seen it yet, but luckily I didn't buy it solely for the story

Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post

With my member's hat on and my badge in the drawer for a moment, while I am sympathetic to those who are bone weary of a handful of people raining on every tiny little glimmer of sunshine, I think some who have taken a contrary position have, in fact, tried the release and just honestly disagree with such a high rating.

Some doubtless compare LW to their preferred product, and - supposing that even that isn't perfect - imagine that they might give their fave 4 stars at best ... necessarily resulting in LW being further down the scale. Now, I have not read the review, nor (to be perfectly transparent) have I even installed 2018 yet ... all work, no play. All the same, though I think I'm about as much of an optimistic, glass-half full guy as anyone, I was initially a little surprised to see a 4 star rating, too. On reflection, after glancing at the summary box, it seems to me that the reviewer's assessment is not terribly unreasonable in the sense that - while anyone would admit there are things about LW that can be frustrating - it most assuredly still packs a lot of punch, and continues to be a great value.

Now, someone might pop up to say 'Not compared to Blender, it isn't. It's crazy to say it provides better value than a free app!'. To this I would say two things. First, clearly not everyone would agree, the reviewer has a right to his view. More importantly, though, this wasn't a LW/Blender shootout - it's a LW review, and in the eyes of the reviewer LW showed itself to offer very good value. The more I think of it that way, the more I agree. Some won't, but that was kind of inevitable, no?

So, the point of all this is that imho most who disagree with the article are offering their honest view. And probably this wouldn't do much more than promote a spirited discussion, were it not for the fact that a few members have established a clear and convincing pattern of reacting negatively to pretty much everything. And most here are very, very tired of it, so at times may be inclined to throw them all into the same bucket and drop it at the curb for pickup.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    I posit this

Time for a 6 month Ban & Posts that where pertinent filleted out permanently.
    I am fedup of Disrailer's hijacking posts like this .......IT IS time to act.

My thoughts Quote from Orginal Post
    I for one, was worried if 2018 would ever gain magazine space, but Andrew Combs review is deftly done.
    Just enough vibe on update facts and kudos tempered by the concerns of user /up-graders creates a very
    good balance that does not put you off.

Thats enough for any sane person to get a grip on the Review?
    Maybe we all need a clean bill of Mental Health & proof of Medii's
    from our Doctors before we can post in the future.

Another spoilt experience for me. lol

Renee on Lightwiki has it right, quote "Don't Whine..Press F9"
    Nice quote there, Ian, that says it all really :-)

Nice quote there, Ian, that says it all really :-)
    I'm not sure it counts quite as much when you quote yourself.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    That's what I don't really get when someone kindly makes a LW plugin, only for others to say "Shoulda been incorporated in native LW from the beginning".
    I think this is because so much base functionality needs to be covered by plugins for LW. Basically all the OD Tools (incl. Workspaces, SBAR support, Pie Menu etc.), Snapping like in LWCAD, EXR / Pass management like EXR Trader and UberPass, Weight Painting in Layout, Rigging in Layout like Rhiggit, Cage Deformer, Live Boolean, etc. Nobody expects a Fluid simulation or animated Sculpt in LW native.

Note that I have bought all these plugins and upgraded to 2018, and even if I rant sometimes that this should be base functionality, I support LW and its 3rd party developers more than most "fan boys" here (not pointing to anyone in particular).

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast