Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lightwave on "jane the virgin"

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    ... but a certain type of proclamation I find it hard to be comfortable with, and if the option was there..I may actually report signaturs as offensive, but then again it isn't aimed at me personally..though the general proclamation is offensive to me personally if that makes any sense.
    Speaking from a strictly philosophic point of view, and maybe equally a pragmatic one, I think one who hopes to go through life shielded from every little thing they disagree with on a personal level is going to have to lock themself in a closet. On the other hand, certain things are overtly offensive to the average viewer, and/or 'hot-button issues' virtually guaranteed, even designed, to provoke serious ire. The latter are much more likely to be moderated than a simple expression of a subjective view that other may disagree with but not abhor.

So, for example someone who took issue with Jeric's sig might add "Always Film the Criminals!" to their own. OK, dueling sigs ... now what? I don't really see a big problem with that, at first blush, unless it spills over into the conversation, which would immediately be a technical breach of forum policy, but one which might offend to a lesser or greater degree depending on the style of rhetoric involved. There's no one answer. You can't legislate civility, but perhaps you can recognize its absence pretty easily. On a personal note, your own posting practices indicate you're capable of exercising that level of discretion.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Speaking from a strictly philosophic point of view, and maybe equally a pragmatic one, I think one who hopes to go through life shielded from every little thing they disagree with on a personal level is going to have to lock themself in a closet. On the other hand, certain things are overtly offensive to the average viewer, and/or 'hot-button issues' virtually guaranteed, even designed, to provoke serious ire. The latter are much more likely to be moderated than a simple expression of a subjective view that other may disagree with but not abhor.

So, for example someone who took issue with Jeric's sig might add "Always Film the Criminals!" to their own. OK, dueling sigs ... now what? I don't really see a big problem with that, at first blush, unless it spills over into the conversation, which would immediately be a technical breach of forum policy, but one which might offend to a lesser or greater degree depending on the style of rhetoric involved. There's no one answer. You can't legislate civility, but perhaps you can recognize its absence pretty easily. On a personal note, your own posting practices indicate you're capable of exercising that level of discretion.
    Yes..agree a lot, though there is a difference when we talk about the forums here with explicit rules on not discussing politics, religion and some other stuff, there are a lot of places where we have to accept certain things for freedoom of speach and adjust to such in our society to live together in piece, but as these forums are held by Newtek and specific rules, I canīt say that I find it should be tolerable with every little thing as you say, it simply isnīt due to forum rules, and these forum rules is not equal to what we or I need to face and tolerate in the Real world which is quite different when it comes to being shielded.

While having a more acceptable tone towards smaller proclamations in the signature, while some of them may be very harmless as your own, and some quite clear is promoting views on politics or religion,
    It may be something to react and consider, then again some things may be taking the tone of a humorous qoute or stand point.

So My wondering is wether or not it would be okay to proclaim your own political or religious standpoint in the signature? and is that judged by what purpose that signature has as repeating itself in some kind of marketing of a lifestyle etc, while I feel more at ease if someone occasionally would bring up what their standpoint would be during a discussion actually as long as One close it at that and not expand on it too long in the discussion, it could be a humourus remark of ones life situation etc, or ones faith at a short description, not a continiously marketing through signatures.

Itīs just some thoughts I have on some signatures that I find it odd that I can see some of the situations mentioned alive in some signatures, though I of course respect that Newtek not necessarely find it offensive or breaking any rules, and ergo find it quite tolerable.

Jerics signature (as just an example out of the blue ) I do not see any issues with really, itīs message isnīt pragmatic in such way that I would find it offensive, and it clearly can be taken with some humour as well as serious meaning...a bit ambiguous.

And itīs mostly the big Questions, politics, religion that seriously inflict on others point of view..and pragmaticly state thay we should vote for this one or that one etc or various faith proclamations ..constantly repeating as a marketplace hidden in signatures which I find can have no other purpose that just being a marketplace for itself, what other agenda is there? or what purpose does it fill?

Then we got the catīs thread and those who vote for cats...I guess I am contradicting myself when I confess to this Cat Cult.
    Dwell on that or not night time now, thanks for the discussion.

Of the top of my head, I'm inclined to view most sigs with about the same level of (variously) agreement, indifference, amusement, or dislike that I do bumper stickers that espouse the same sentiments. People want to self-identify in this relatively benign way, and I don't feel like I can't hold a different view and still share the road with them without a road rage incident. I might laugh, nod to myself, or think "What a jerk", but I don't feel any need to engage him over it so long as he isn't blasting his message out over loudspeakers as I drive on my way to my destination.

There comes a point where such attempts at being inoffensive become silly. For example, my given name was chosen by my parents for a patron saint based on the season of my birth. Should I not show it in my signature? Since I don't hold the same views my parents did, should I legally change my name so as not to offend myself? Honestly, I can imagine some cases where a person might do those things, but I don't think they should be forced on him. At some point, you've just got to let minor things go.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Not that anyone cares, but I've always felt if everyone believes the same things and agrees with each other there would be no growth and no change. We need some conflict to advance. At the same time, we need to be respectful of others' ideas and opinions. We can disagree, but politely.
    So much water, so few sharks.

"...all men are created equal." -- US Declaration of Independence

Quote Originally Posted by sadkkf View Post
    Not that anyone cares, but I've always felt if everyone believes the same things and agrees with each other there would be no growth and no change. We need some conflict to advance. At the same time, we need to be respectful of others' ideas and opinions. We can disagree, but politely.
    i donīt think agreeing or not agreeing is the real issue here in the forums really...itīs about what rules in fact is set for the forums and what should be tolerable and not, and making such things clear, so people know what is appropiate to post
    and I agree otherwise, disagreeing means different opinions, but that kind of two face conflict would still need to evolve in to a comprimize where the two parts are satisfied and has gained something, if growth is to be made somehow..otherwise it leads just nowhere, growth in ones own thinking may occour when you may actually look at things with the others perspective and eventually change your mind, or the other changes itīs mind to some degree...and maybe learn something from it...but inherently various opinions doesnīt automaticly work as a reciepie for succesful growth.

I think itīs a world problem that we humans can not communicate in a way that we understand each other, while we can understand the language there is so much more to conflicts and opinions than the actual language, we may sometime listen, but do not hear...we understand what is said, but not the essence etc.

Even today we are sort of struggling building a world paradise, like ancient myths trying to build the babylon tower..but not speaking the same language meaning the construction didnīt work out or become finished, today it isnīt about the language we speak, more about the language of communication so that we understand each other in essence, culture, life opinions, politics etc.

Itīs funny to study though, in my own family for instance ...how some of us siblings can communicate, and some of us not, how my sister may communicate with her daughter and man etc, daily choirs and misunderstanding that constantly repeats itself, same at my current work...I can see it partly with some collegues and also including myself ofcourse, ivé seen it in many other jobs.

Who hasnīt ? and these forums is no rosegarden either all the time, I am sure Sbowie just goes..sigh a Lot of times, but hey...if communication would be so easy...Sbowie wouldnīt have the job he now has, another job perhaps..but not this

So, just to respond broadly, of course diversity and dialogue about differences are important and valuable. This does not mean that every conversation needs to be open to interruption or diversion to any aspect whatsoever of any conceivable and totally unrelated topic. This must be obvious, and thus it is only reasonable to narrow the scope of a specific discussion somewhat in some sensible ways.

In practice, the world respects this 'need to focus' to prevent diffusion to the point of white noise. In the current context, this manifests as one forum for flower arranging and one for Ford pickup trucks, one for SCUBA diving and another for tectonic plate theories ... and one for CG generally, another for Maya, and one for LightWave. The spectrum of useful topics in any of these can vary a bit, but if it were completely open it would quickly become a useless and unpleasant cacophony. Hence, a forum moderation policy, hopefully applied (albeit imperfectly) with a touch of reasonableness and equanimity.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123