Thread: Tricaster 40 and Audio Mixer

Tricaster 40 and Audio Mixer

I know where to connect the audio mixer on the tricaster, but where do we connect the cables n the audio mixer? I would like to control the audio with the mixer.

Can you please expand on the details of the desired workflow? I can't determine what the question is

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

I want to use a 20 channel audio mixer to control our audio through the tricaster. How does it go connected? I know where it connects on the tricaster, but where do we plug the cables on the mixer?

Connect all mics and other sources to 20-channel unit, mix as desired, then send MASTER OUT from mixer to AUDIO IN on TC40 (RCA stereo inputs). So really nothing to do with TriCaster, mix audio as you normally would on audio console, and just send final mix to TriCaster to record/stream as needed.

Do you need to run DDR audio FROM TC40 into external mixer as well? I can explain that process on request.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera

i connected it the way you described. When my class comes in tommorow, we will try it out. also, how do I monitor the sound? through the mixer or through the tricaster?

DDR audio to internal mixer? what is that? I am so sorry, but when I went to film school we were splicing film by hand, so all this new technology

Also...why can't we view the clips in in file exploere. i have to import them into premiere to view the clips. Thanks!!

Attach headphones to headphone jack on TC40 - important to monitor MASTER audio on the TC40 to be sure of what you are recording and/or streaming! If you monitor at the mixer, you would not really know for sure what kind of sound you have in TC40 - if any. Using the Internal Audio Mixer in TC40 (under AUDIO tab), you may adjust the input volume from outside mixer source as needed, or adjust output of external mixer also as needed.

In a situation where you might be using your TriCaster to feed live video to a projector at a live event for an audience in attendance, AND you are also at times playing back video clips from DDR that will also go to projector, the audience on location may need to hear the audio from DDR clips, correct? In that case, you need to take the DDR audio by ITSELF out of TriCaster and apply it as another input to external audio mixer that is feeding the speakers in the room.

Since TC40 does not have any AUX audio outputs, it takes a little tinkering. In TriCaster Audio Mixer panel, MUTE the DDR audio by clicking the speaker in DDR column. Then select SOLO at bottom of that column. By MUTING the DDR audio, it is REMOVED from the internal audio mix inside of TriCaster - it will not be recording/streamed from within TriCaster.

By choosing SOLO, that directs the DDR audio exclusively to the headphone output - cable that headphone output to the external audio mixer as an additional line in source, then when you play a DDR clip in TC, it will be routed to speakers in the room via sound board.

Because DDR is now part of the main mix on the external sound board, when you take OUT from sound board to IN on TriCaster, now you have your DDR audio that will be recorded/streamed! If you do NOT mute the DDR audio in TriCaster audio mixer, you will have TWO copies of that sound, one internal and another version back from mixer and due to slight delay between them it sounds bad!!

Now what about headphone monitoring of TriCaster MASTER AUDIO then, if we are using headphone jack to route DDR sound to mixer?? Via adapter cables, use the RCA stereo outputs of TC40 and convert as needed to connect to headphones. Now you can monitor TriCaster mix that way.

To be clear, if you are NOT running DDR clip with audio to LOCAL display, then you need not worry about this at all. With only cameras coming into TriCaster, and you are NOT playing DDR out to audience locally, then no strange audio tricks needed. As long as you have needed adapters/adapter cables, this setup can work just fine, have used it for live events successfully with TC40 myself years ago.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera

Quote Originally Posted by setrini77 View Post
    Also...why can't we view the clips in in file exploere. i have to import them into premiere to view the clips. Thanks!!
    Which clips? If recorded in TriCaster, they should play in TriCaster (from Windows screen) using Apple QuickTime Player. But not very responsive, not my favorite way to do it.
    Jeff Pulera