Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Former xsi user using Lightwave

Former xsi user using Lightwave

Hi, My name is Mark from Adelaide Australia, I am currently learning how to use Lightwave 2015.3 for character design and animation by following the tutorials in the Jonny Gorden books that were written originally for Lightwave v8.
    These books are fantastic and very comprehensive which i'm very gratefull for. Absolutely enjoying using Llightwave at the moment but, can anybody recommend a list of plugins that would help extend the capabilty of modeller
    that would bring it up to par with what i was getting used to in Softimage. I guess i have been somewhat spoiled a bit by the modelling set in Softimage and it will probably take a bit of adjustment from me to become totally familiar
    with the way that Lightwave accomplishes similar modelling tasks. I looked around at the various other 3d packages when i was forced to change because of the Autodesk eol of Softimage and Lightwave seemed to be the only
    complete solution for me to run my own studio in the future if i want to steer clear of Autodesk. I currently have 1 commercial seat of Lightwave 2015.3 and fully intend to buy Lightwave 2018 in the future as i have to make this solution
    work for me as i see no other practical alternative. Any plugin suggestions would be most appreciated thanks. I think Lightwave is a fantastic piece of Software and i hope to be using it for many years in the future.

X soft user here as well. In my opinion the best plugin for modeling in Lightwave is Blender. I find it a much more complete modeler, Its no Softimage but it is about as close as you can get without Going to AD or C4D.

Model in Blender and export as obj, lwo or abc works well.

On the SI community forums I think there is a guy working on Softimage hotkeys for Blender so that may help you out as well.

As for plugins for Modeler there is LWCad which has been keeping Modeler alive and also 3rdpowers i think it is called.
    All depends on what you model I guess.

Intel i7 5960X Extreme, Asus Rampage V extreme, 3x 4gb NVIDIA Geforce GTX970, 32GB DDR4 2666 corsair dominator
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Rhiggit!
    Best rigging and animation toolset for lw.

Last edited by Wireframex; 04-26-2018 at 05:18 AM.
    Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX 32 Cores - 64 Threads / 2 x GTX 1080 + 1 GTX 1070 / Windows 10 x64 / 64 Go Ram / LW2019 & Softimage user

More good plugins are here: https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/p...uthor/trueart/

(although the web site is having problems at this moment. Try later.)
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

I suggest two wonderful books I love:
    character animation in depth, by Doug Kelly
    lightwave 3d 8 character animation, by Timothy Albee
    they are very good.
    Both these books teach character animation using lightwave.
    Last edited by rednova; 04-26-2018 at 08:39 AM.
    -Mobilis In Mobile-

Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    I thought the same thing until I actually sat down and learned it. It's actually really good and now I think the other way around...(that LW is the one with the bad UX (not everywhere but in many places))
    You're spot on. Of course the UI looks strange in the beginning but the key is willing to learn something new.

Definitely LW is the one with the bad UI when comparing the two for me. Blender is much more powerful in Modeling and other tasks and the UI is flexible.
    Last edited by Marander; 04-26-2018 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtare View Post
    Hi, My name is Mark from Adelaide...
    Hello! If you want to use LW for Character Animation as you mentioned I would definitely recommend RhiggitPro and 3rd Powers WeightPaint (maybe additionally 3rd Powers LWBrush and Cage Deformer). The Character workflow with Genoma and Weight Painting in Modeler will make you pull out your hair if you're used to SI.

Thanks, 3D Kiwi! for your plugin suggestions, i guess it will take me quite a long time to become as adept with Lightwave as i was with Softimage but at least Newtek actually seem to care about their customers which makes me feel more comfortable with using Lightwave to run a future studio. There is finally some light at the end of the 3d tunnel that i can see at last!

One more vote for the 3rd powers tools the lwbrush suite of tools is a fantastic addition for organic modeling, And their other modeler tools are also top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    I thought the same thing until I actually sat down and learned it. It's actually really good and now I think the other way around...(that LW is the one with the bad UX (not everywhere but in many places))
    It is still No plugin, it has been called like that as a kind of a parody plugin extension tool ..when lightwave and other plugins fall short.
    AS for deviating from the thread..just a little bit, I donīt think it is as black and white...For Anyone when it comes to blender VS Lightwave UI, good or bad, they both have their strenght in some areas, and I donīt think it really in itīs essence can be defined to how much you use it ..or get acustomed to it, granted..I am also starting to feel more comfortable with the blender UI, but I seriously doubt it can be pinpointed black and white as generally better or not, if not approaching it that way..we could all just learn all of the icons in truespace and start working with that and cheer about how great it is, once we learn it.
    Individually it may actually work for some folks, but One could easy define it as quite bad for most folks in general.

Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    One more vote for the 3rd powers tools the lwbrush suite of tools is a fantastic addition for organic modeling, And their other modeler tools are also top notch.

Just arriving as well, METAMORPHIC quite exciting for Char work.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    It is still No plugin, it has been called like that as a kind of a parody plugin extension tool ..when lightwave and other plugins fall short.
    AS for deviating from the thread..just a little bit, I donīt think it is as black and white...For Anyone when it comes to blender VS Lightwave UI, good or bad, they both have their strenght in some areas, and I donīt think it really in itīs essence can be defined to how much you use it ..or get acustomed to it, granted..I am also starting to feel more comfortable with the blender UI, but I seriously doubt it can be pinpointed black and white as generally better or not, if not approaching it that way..we could all just learn all of the icons in truespace and start working with that and cheer about how great it is, once we learn it.
    Individually it may actually work for some folks, but One could easy define it as quite bad for most folks in general.
    I agree, we are all different and that is a good thing. Someone said that Blender gui is bad and I just answered that for me the blender Ux is much nicer than lw ux right now. For me Blender feels like it felt using LW 18 years ago, vibrant community, daily news, fun to use and create stuff with.... do you remember when you could go to flay.com daily and it was always some new news about LW. Now its once a year or something... that was fun times. sorry for going OT, I will not comment more in this thread.

If you combine RHiggit with 3rd Powers Paint Weights tool (for directly editing deformations in Layout) you have a cheap but pretty decent animation alternative to Maya. Genoma, the native autorigger also creates Maya style armatures.

The 3rd Powers LWBrush modelling plugin is especially good for character creation.
    Last edited by bobakabob; 04-26-2018 at 03:42 PM.
    Art and photography Flickr site
    Animation, facial rigging, modelling ArtStation
    Assorted animations Robert Ireland

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast