Thread: 'Splainin

'Splainin

Jut throwing this out there for the sake of venting...

Doing a model of a surgical device for a video and I'm about half-finished. When I show my boss my progress and explain what's left to do he keeps pointing to an earlier 2-D Photoshop image I did of the same product and saying "but you already did that". I explain (again) that the photoshop image is like a painting, and the model is like a sculpture; the 2D work I did is not transferrable to the 3D version. it would be less annoying if my boss were a layman but he's a Creative Director with 40 years of experience.

Every time I explain it to him he gives me a blank stare and a little tear rolls down my cheek.

haha!

I feel ya and I feel for ya.

Robert
    Robert Wilson, MA Deaf Ed.
    Indiana Deaf School
    This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

Tell him that the 3D version is part of a Digital Transformation for Augmented Virtual Reality, using Blockchain Heuristics for Cloud-based SAAS Implementation, and that, as the Primary Stakeholder, you know he understands the Leveraged Advantage for this Mission Critical, Client-Focused Web 3.0 Cross-Channel Paradigm.

If you can't dazzle him with brilliance . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post

Doing a model of a surgical device for a video and I'm about half-finished. When I show my boss my progress and explain what's left to do he keeps pointing to an earlier 2-D Photoshop image I did of the same product and saying "but you already did that". I explain (again) that the photoshop image is like a painting, and the model is like a sculpture; the 2D work I did is not transferrable to the 3D version. it would be less annoying if my boss were a layman but he's a Creative Director with 40 years of experience.

Every time I explain it to him he gives me a blank stare and a little tear rolls down my cheek.
    Oh, I (we) feel your pain. I've had a number of projects dealing with graphic designers & artists, directors, etc. and I'd be toothless now if we took the phrase "like pulling teeth" literally when it comes to get even the simplest of concept art, sketch, etc. for what the hell they're talking about. Why is it that they prefer just verbal descriptions now, when their very existance is based on the visual? Oh, don't get me going.

The plus and minus of doing things all digitally these days I suppose is that the client is fortunately often a few thousand miles away rather than in the next room.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    it would be less annoying if my boss were a layman but he's a Creative Director with 40 years of experience.
    Time to retire.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Is it possible he wants you to just convert your 2d image in Photoshop to 3d -ish using the Photoshop 3d tools? I mean, depending on the relative dimensions and symmetry of the device, it is possible and it would be quicker. Just throwing that out there.

If that isn't the case, open Photoshop file and ask him to turn it so that you can see the opposite side and see what he does.

Quote Originally Posted by paulk View Post
    Tell him that the 3D version is part of a Digital Transformation for Augmented Virtual Reality, using Blockchain Heuristics for Cloud-based SAAS Implementation, and that, as the Primary Stakeholder, you know he understands the Leveraged Advantage for this Mission Critical, Client-Focused Web 3.0 Cross-Channel Paradigm.

If you can't dazzle him with brilliance . . .
    He's the world's biggest buzzword-dropper and would absolutely LOVE this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    Time to retire.
    7.5 years, but who's counting?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RPSchmidt View Post
    Is it possible he wants you to just convert your 2d image in Photoshop to 3d -ish using the Photoshop 3d tools? I mean, depending on the relative dimensions and symmetry of the device, it is possible and it would be quicker. Just throwing that out there.

If that isn't the case, open Photoshop file and ask him to turn it so that you can see the opposite side and see what he does.
    He has no idea how any of it really works, including photoshop.

Man, I feel ya.

Last video I just wrapped up, near the end of the run the client notes they'd like to add an object to the main scene. "It's just a quick add, right?"

Yeah, that then requires nearly every frikken scene to be re-rendered, ya g00b.
    “There may be people that have more talent than you, but there’s no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.” ~ Derek Jeter

iMac Pro
    "iCan" Mac Pro
    MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    7.5 years, but who's counting?
    I meant the veteran of 40 years. At a certain point, ya just got to let the mammals take over.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    Oh, I (we) feel your pain. I've had a number of projects dealing with graphic designers & artists, directors, etc. and I'd be toothless now if we took the phrase "like pulling teeth" literally when it comes to get even the simplest of concept art, sketch, etc. for what the hell they're talking about.
    Yeah, and on another part of the spectrum are the literal-minded and imagination challenged. Most of my work lately has been technical stuff and even the smallest departure from literal sequences gets a, "we like the concept but it might confuse the audience."

Wubba-huh?
    “There may be people that have more talent than you, but there’s no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.” ~ Derek Jeter

iMac Pro
    "iCan" Mac Pro
    MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    I meant the veteran of 40 years. At a certain point, ya just got to let the mammals take over.
    Gonna steal that quote. Thanks for the laugh!

iMac Pro
    "iCan" Mac Pro
    MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis

He has no idea how any of it really works, including photoshop.
    Does he have pointy hair?