Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interview with Sublimation - Lightwave anime studio

Interview with Sublimation - Lightwave anime studio

Sublimation and Yamato are one of the last lightwave studios around.
    I really hope the modelling side of Lightwave improves in the next version.

Part 1
    https://cgworld.jp/interview/201804-modo.html

Part 2
    https://cgworld.jp/interview/201804-modo2.html

Thanks.
    Summary, both Sublimation and Yamato studios that use lightwave are now in "research" mode. They seem to be going towards modo which is still very rarely used in the anime industy and probably ill-advised path for them.

I agree when they say Layout is great at handling very large scenes. I am frankly spoiled when it comes to this. If I render a scene with hundreds of millions of polygons in Layout, LW is completely stable and fairly responsive. Maya and Blender is way less forgiving with larger scenes in my experience. It is a major reason why I still use LW.
    Break up epic desk sitting sessions with 5-15 min breaks and get your recommended daily dose of fiber.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ProfHotard
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TreetopMedia

Thanks for the post!!!

probably correct as modo isn't doing that well, and will probably change hands at some point in the not too distant,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture11.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	141371
    and obviously that's from an investors point of view so it will be sugar coated (the same page also mentions "would make a great investment" implying they are open to sell it, but then that's how it works, investment groups buy these companies, try to build them up and then sell them, so it could go either way, or even just lose modo and concentrate on nuke, just look at how many people left nuke)
    Intel i7 5960X Extreme, Asus Rampage V extreme, 3x 4gb NVIDIA Geforce GTX970, 32GB DDR4 2666 corsair dominator
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

oh corks
    Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    just look at how many people left nuke)
    What d'you mean? Has Nuke lost a lot of users? More info please?

Also, if PSoft ports Pencil+ to modo then modo will immediately look a lot more enticing for anime. Pencil+ is very expensive for what it does, but modo & Pencil+ would still be a very much cheaper option than 3dsMax & Pencil+, especially long term across multiple seats.

Of course, dealing with, say, six characters all at once in modo is like sucking lemons whilst being stabbed, but it does do many things LW can't and, again, it's cheap.

All these studios have to be looking at Maneki right now and wondering how they can achieve that without paying Maya & Maneki & Nuke money.

no nuke is fine for what they are saying (it should be as its more or less the standard now), the other parts of the foundry are not, specifically modo was not performing to their expectations,
    Intel i7 5960X Extreme, Asus Rampage V extreme, 3x 4gb NVIDIA Geforce GTX970, 32GB DDR4 2666 corsair dominator

Quote Originally Posted by Cardboard View Post
    What d'you mean? Has Nuke lost a lot of users? More info please?

Also, if PSoft ports Pencil+ to modo then modo will immediately look a lot more enticing for anime. Pencil+ is very expensive for what it does, but modo & Pencil+ would still be a very much cheaper option than 3dsMax & Pencil+, especially long term across multiple seats.

Of course, dealing with, say, six characters all at once in modo is like sucking lemons whilst being stabbed, but it does do many things LW can't and, again, it's cheap.

All these studios have to be looking at Maneki right now and wondering how they can achieve that without paying Maya & Maneki & Nuke money.
    sorry i just realised, seems some thing went wrong with that post as it was supposed to say modo, and i clearly remember typing modo as it was referring to several developers leaving

Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    probably correct as modo isn't doing that well, and will probably change hands at some point in the not too distant,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture11.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	141371
    Lightwave and modo are both not doing well in this segment, which is bigger than japan's automotive industry. C4d has overtaken both which was never used much 3-5 years ago.

But when you see articles like, the last few lightwave studios thinking of switching to modo, its a wake up call for NT to start developing lightwave's other toolset.

A.K.A "The Silver Fox" Gungho3D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by samurai_x View Post
    ... both Sublimation and Yamato studios that use lightwave are now in "research" mode. They seem to be going towards modo ...
    I know the feeling. Based on the extended silence from NT, I was doing "research" well over 18 months ago. Almost went C4D, went Modo "the lot" instead, was impressed by its procedural modeling in v10. Probably a few $K I can kiss goodbye :-(

If I read between the lines in the two part interview correctly, there is no missing the fact these guys love LW Layout, but seem to wanting to future proof.

Quote Originally Posted by Gungho3D View Post

If I read between the lines in the two part interview correctly, there is no missing the fact these guys love LW Layout, but seem to wanting to future proof.
    Same here. Our studio is pushing hard for me to pull the trigger. Corporate silence is a GOD AWFUL strategy for your customers. The opposite of what you should be doing.
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

oh corks
    C4d has overtaken both which was never used much 3-5 years ago.
    This amazes me. Slightly.

C4D doesn't have anything specific that would recommend it above anything else for making anime (at least not that I know of?) but it's reliable, it's easy to learn and it all works like it should. It really looks like Japanese anime creators are doing everything they can to avoid buying into the Autodesk treadmill. Can't say I blame them.

I assume almost everything is comped in AE?

Quote Originally Posted by Cardboard View Post
    This amazes me. Slightly.

C4D doesn't have anything specific that would recommend it above anything else for making anime (at least not that I know of?) but it's reliable, it's easy to learn and it all works like it should. It really looks like Japanese anime creators are doing everything they can to avoid buying into the Autodesk treadmill. Can't say I blame them.

I assume almost everything is comped in AE?
    C4d plays best with AE. And nearly every studio uses AE for comp so its gaining some traction in the last 3 years. Only big studios doing films and AAA games use Nuke.
    Unfortunately, AD is 90% in the cg studios. The 10% for other 3d software. Very rare to see lightwave, modo. Houdini for bigger studios but most can just hack it with 3dmax and tons of plugins. Blender has zero appeal. I'm the only one I know using it.

C4d plays best with AE. And nearly every studio uses AE for comp so its gaining some traction in the last 3 years. Only big studios doing films and AAA games use Nuke.
    Unfortunately, AD is 90% in the cg studios. The 10% for other 3d software. Very rare to see lightwave, modo. Houdini for bigger studios but most can just hack it with 3dmax and tons of plugins. Blender has zero appeal. I'm the only one I know using it.
    Amen... Great post.
    Here in the DC area ALL STUDIOS, and I mean ALL no matter the size use ADOBE toolsets. With Photoshop, Illustrators and AE being the 3 kings.
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast