Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disintergration effect

Quote Originally Posted by tyrot View Post
    prometheus do you have - a video tutorial.. this effect looks so good...
    Dont have much time for that currently..
    The effect is probably at around 5%
    Of what could be achieved.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    yeah..hv for smoke detail perhaps, can work but you will never get a full dynamic realism with it, so why not try blender?

see movie filre attached..only lw preview, not blender...I would need to work on proper mdd import (got flipped wrong here) and getting smoke only where needed when the parts disintergrate, here I used a cheap shot of painting a weight map to create a vertex group from where the fluid smoke emitts, but I donīt think that is the way to go.
    But otherwise, displacement and mdd bake out, save out the lwo object also, then import the lwo object, have it selected when going to import mdd in blender..thatīs it, then while having the head selected, spacebar and quick smoke.

I would probably if I seriously would do this more advanced, use several shell head objects, and make polygons in more irregual shapes to assembly flakes, and also try and make them distored when they leave the face.

Would love to know how you did the stuff done in LW?
    Is it the node setup from post #11?
    Montage Reel, Portfolio, PIN_01, Prime......ŦŦ go on, click on a link!

Not a 3d effect.. but cool nonetheless if you have After Effects and TrapCode Form. A bit tricky to setup. I'd never remember how to set it up on my footage without this tutorial. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUzKtMEO_mw

Thanks mummyman, that looks great and useful for AFX setups and work too.

I also would like to know how to set up the effect prometheus has used with the head example in the above post. I like the way the polys just blow away - sort of end of Avengers Infinity War style!

Quote Originally Posted by daforum View Post
    Would love to know how you did the stuff done in LW?
    Is it the node setup from post #11?
    Canīt recall..it may be and it may not be.

Thanks mummyman, that looks great and useful for AFX setups and work too.

I also would like to know how to set up the effect prometheus has used with the head example in the above post. I like the way the polys just blow away - sort of end of Avengers Infinity War style!
    Well...that effect is most likely quite a lot more complex.

You know..I am busy with trying out Lightwave 2019, but I also would like to revisit this effect..which I then would need to refresh from my memory ..a lot, but itīs not in priority now, I may find some stored files and try it with the new gas solver in 2019 for thinner smoke.

What you could do is to go and check out Bryphi77īs youtube site and see what he has up for free regarding pushing polygons like this, he may also have locked some vids for special members only..so you could always ask if he has a video that may resemble
    disintergration effects like this or afinity war, and at least check out what he would recommend.

I havenīt followed Bryphi77īs vids at all for my stuff, I think he knows a lot more about this kind of stuff than I do though, so check it out.

Or go and check if you can get hold of Alan McKayīs vids covering this stuff (God of war)

maybe write to him and see if he can provide some of it for free, or if you can get it for a small fee.
    I signed up on some of his free courses, but I may have missed some parts since he only had it up a few days.

And I really havenīt followed the courses to see how he did it, itīs for 3D max and I would only be able to follow general principles that could translate to the Lighwave world, so that sort of distracted me from follow it through.

I don't know how Prometheus did the very cool animation posted previously, but here's a technique that might work for some effects:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final_Render_000.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	162.5 KB 
ID:	144396 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final_Render_020.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	221.5 KB 
ID:	144397

Name:	Final_Render_060.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	263.6 KB 
ID:	144398 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final_Render_120.jpg 
Size:	217.4 KB 
ID:	144399

Name:	Final_Render_181.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	267.7 KB 
ID:	144400 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final_Render_240.jpg 
Size:	192.9 KB 
ID:	144401

Name:	Final_Render_360.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	208.9 KB 
ID:	144402Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final_Render_400.jpg 
Size:	166.9 KB 
ID:	144403

MOV file: Disintegration_OvalSphere_4PartsEmitters_small.mov

Sample LW2019 scene attached. It uses the DPKit Part Move and Particle Info nodes, as well as the native LW2019 Mesh Part node. In the sample scene, I used four (4) separate particle emitters to make four different portions of the original geometry (a simple ovoid sphere) disintegrate at different times, rates, patterns, etc.

The basic strategy is to use a node setup similar to the one Prometheus posted previously (although more complex) to make each Part move according to its associated Particle:

Name:	01_ParticlePartMove_NodeSetup.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	144406

The Particle Emitter is set up on a geometry with the emitter type as Object-Vertices. However, the particles emitted by this type of emitter start with Polygon #1 in the internal polygon list and proceed through the list in order with no capability of determining which order the particles are emitted and which polygon is associated with each specific particle.

To make a disintegration animation with specific portions of the geometry being disintegrated in a desired order, the internal list of polygons needs to be arranged so the particles are emitted in the desired order. I don't know of any tool to re-order polygons in Modeler, so I wrote an LScript (included in the sample scene ZIP file) which re-orders a set of selected polygons into another layer in the order that they were selected. This allows the user to explicitly "draw" the order in which the polygons will leave their original position and follow their associated particle by selecting them in the desired order in Modeler.

The overall steps are:

1. Separate the original geometry into a "FixedPortion" layer and one or more "Parts" layers:
      • In the FixedPortion layer, select the polygons for the next Parts layer in order
      • Run the ReorderSelectedPolygons.ls script to cut-n-paste them to a new layer
    2. Make an Emitter Points layer for each Parts layer
      • In the Parts layer, use double-quote to select all polygons
      • Use Multiply=>Subdivide=>More...=>Make Pole to put a center point in each polygon
      • Press CTRL-C to copy the points
      • Press CTRL-Z to undo the Make Pole
      • Move to a new layer, paste in the points
    3. Make as many Parts and EmitterPoints layers as you want

To make setup in Layout easier, I recommend naming the layers using F7. I used the naming convention of "FixedPortion" for the original geometry layer, and "Parts1", "Parts1_EmitterPoints", etc. for each successive parts layer.

1. In Layout, set up emitters on each Emitter Points layer
    2. Set up the node network on each Parts layer by using Import Nodes with the included Part_Particle_Displacement_WithRotation_DPKit_LW20 19.nod
      • Hook the right-most Scale node to the Displacement output
      • Double-click the Particle Info node to select the Emitter for this set of Parts
    3. Add FX Wind, Gravity, Collision objects to affect the particles as desired

In the sample scene ZIP file, I included a Word document containing the specific steps.

The sample ZIP file contains the sample scene & objects, the ReorderSelectedPolygons.ls script, the node network saved as Part_Particle_Displacement_WithRotation_DPKit_LW20 19.nod which can be imported in the node editor for each Parts layer Nodal Displacement, and the PartMoveWithParticles.docx document with the steps.

mTp

P.S. Here's another example using the same technique with a free male_head.obj model downloaded from TurboSquid:

Disintegration_MaleHead_3PartsEmitters_cvt.mov
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by MonroePoteet; 03-13-2019 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Add "male_head" disintegration example MOV file

Quote Originally Posted by MonroePoteet View Post
    I don't know how Prometheus did the very cool animation posted previously, but here's a technique that might work for some effects:

Disintegration_MaleHead_3PartsEmitters_cvt.mov

I think we both used particles to drive the pieces, but I havenīt even begun with the newer 2012019 stuff.

Getting the surfaces pieces to fly away is easy, getting to fly exactly as the particles a bit trickier,as well as getting irregular noise cracked pieces.
    But getting more complex stuff such as a full volume breaking apart is at another level, thatīs what you want in the end.

Do you just make the Emitter the 'Object' and then apply your Node setup to the 'Displacement' of the object?

Do you just make the Emitter the 'Object' and then apply your Node setup to the 'Displacement' of the object?
    From my previous write-up:

Quote Originally Posted by MonroePoteet
    The Particle Emitter is set up on a geometry with the emitter type as Object-Vertices. However, the particles emitted by this type of emitter start with Polygon #1 in the internal polygon list and proceed through the list in order with no capability of determining which order the particles are emitted and which polygon is associated with each specific particle.

To make a disintegration animation with specific portions of the geometry being disintegrated in a desired order, the internal list of polygons needs to be arranged so the particles are emitted in the desired order. I don't know of any tool to re-order polygons in Modeler, so I wrote an LScript (included in the sample scene ZIP file) which re-orders a set of selected polygons into another layer in the order that they were selected. This allows the user to explicitly "draw" the order in which the polygons will leave their original position and follow their associated particle by selecting them in the desired order in Modeler.

mTp

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12