Thread: Two-thirds of architectural professionals plan to use VR in 2018

Cool Two-thirds of architectural professionals plan to use VR in 2018

This is not only important for archiviz users but algame, pre-viz and visualization in general. I love to see some movement in that direction for Lw.

https://www.chaosgroup.com/blog/info...r-architecture

I can see where VR would be useful in Arch Viz for certain kinds of projects that have decent marketing budgets. I don't think VR will ever replace the simplicity and visual power of a rendered image but it's a nice option to make available for those who want it and don't mind paying for it. I personally think 360 Panoramas are where it's at.
    https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Hardware Specs: i7 4930K, 32 GB, Windows 10, Nvidia GTX 770 2GB

yep, unfortunately it wont fully take off, ive already had dealings with many companies that tried it, but customers didn't really like it because about two thirds of people suffer motion sickness etc wearing the headsets, the other problem is a lot of companies i deal with want to take the presentations mobile, i.e a laptop, which means you need some fairly hefty expensive hardware when working on large projects, using Unreal etc for presentations is the way forward, you can also demo things to more than one person at a time then too, vr would be useless when meating with an entire board or company of people, sure it has its place, but there are areas where much more effort should be put
    Intel i7 5960X Extreme, Asus Rampage V extreme, 3x 4gb NVIDIA Geforce GTX970, 32GB DDR4 2666 corsair dominator
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Doing 360 still images eliminates any chance of motion sickness which can indeed be a problem for some people using VR. You can easily move from point "A" to "B" with still images too so I'd have to agree with Nicolas that panoramas have a lot to offer. I just got another bus station/roadway job that wants 360 composites for an interview. They are going to give out Google Cardboards and QR codes so the potential clients can view them on their own phones. Not perfect quality but hopefully something that will add a little wow factor. I think (and hope) this really takes off in the near future. LW can definitely be part of that (hopefully).
    Somewhere between the Darkness and the Light

Visualization FreeLance THIBAULT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    I can see where VR would be useful in Arch Viz for certain kinds of projects that have decent marketing budgets. I don't think VR will ever replace the simplicity and visual power of a rendered image but it's a nice option to make available for those who want it and don't mind paying for it. I personally think 360 Panoramas are where it's at.
    Yes Nicolas, totaly agree !
    But the presentations in 360 arrive quickly in limitation of use! My clients real estate developers, in France, use it a lot on the shows because it is impressive and "funny" (Samsung VR).
    On the other hand, the presentation in VR allows them to visit each apartment of the real estate program (in white) and some completely furnished.
    It is an unprecedented sales support tool for them and they prefer to save on traditional communication to invest in the VR!
    For my clients, of course!
    Afterwards, I think we should not be in denial; after having realized several programs in this way, it is certain that at the beginning, it is not easy and long but after 4-5 projects, the workflow is begin optimized and I am now starting to work upside down!
    I start with the VR and then extract my still or animated views! Which means that I have no more farm budget rendering for the animations!
    Here ! This is my experience! Good luck to all !

The other benefit of 360 panoramas is that they can be viewed on almost any modern device since they are prerendered. The only complaint I get from clients who don't totally understand the technology at first is that they would like to move through the space instead of having to view everything from one fixed spot which would be the strength of VR.
    https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Hardware Specs: i7 4930K, 32 GB, Windows 10, Nvidia GTX 770 2GB

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    Well I'm also not sure if some high quality realtime GI like the unreal demos is really the future in the next two years, but some basic lightmapped room with some basic furniture geometry displayed on a vive ? This can be done faster than going a full 360 photoreal render and might have a bigger emotional impact due to its immersive experience. Motion sickness could be eliminated by making it a shortterm experience.

If I would not be in a completely different area of work currently, I defintively would invest in a vive and make some feasibility tests.

edit also this might a nice extra to traditional high quality renderings with just 2 hours more of work.
    Last edited by tischbein3; 04-16-2018 at 10:28 AM.

https://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/technology/vxgi
    vxgi has been around for a little while now, and runs in unreal already, will run on a single 1080 card, RTX is already running on volta cards so its not far off as octane 4 is also been optimized for those cards too as far as i know,
    you can also run vray inside of unreal engine (for free i think? but has to be an imported vray scene)
    Intel i7 5960X Extreme, Asus Rampage V extreme, 3x 4gb NVIDIA Geforce GTX970, 32GB DDR4 2666 corsair dominator
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

The fastest way to make people sick in VR is to cut corners, panos are all neat and good, stero pano even better, but still mess with the vestibular system. move your head and no visual follow through = ick . Ultimately light fields will sole the problem for this space

Proper VR with 6DOF head tracking and hands go along way to making VR a non vomiit inducing experience. KEY is to keep FPS above 90 frames a second. Forcing uninitiated movement is a no no.
    If you cant help but make an art of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerowaitstate View Post
    The fastest way to make people sick in VR is to cut corners, panos are all neat and good, stero pano even better, but still mess with the vestibular system. move your head and no visual follow through = ick . Ultimately light fields will sole the problem for this space

Proper VR with 6DOF head tracking and hands go along way to making VR a non vomiit inducing experience. KEY is to keep FPS above 90 frames a second. Forcing uninitiated movement is a no no.

I've dealt with many studios which do a lot of AR/VR, to be fair it all feel bloated as there's a huge push for it when even if there's no need for it, kinda like flash websites back in the day...

Not only architecture, interactive apps too, most companies get it because it's cool to have. Prices are being driven down too like in any other industries. More and more people are learning Unity and UE. Seen some reqlly wicked job specs here for artists and heavy programmers which really didn't pay well...