Thread: Please tell me about Davinci Resolve

Please tell me about Davinci Resolve

Hi all:

I have original premiere Pro, but I did not like it very much.
    I would like to try DaVinci Resolve.
    Can anyone tell me about it ?
    All i want, is that it works, and that I can do simple video editing.
    All I need is to be able to manipulate video files and edit them with
    sound and music.
    If I like it, I can afford to get the 'studio' version which is about $ 299
    Please tell me about DaVinci resolve !!!
    I am very interested in trying this product.
    Thank you all !!!
    -Mobilis In Mobile-

Quote Originally Posted by rednova View Post
    Hi all:

I would like to try DaVinci Resolve.
    Can anyone tell me about it ?
    All i want, is that it works, and that I can do simple video editing.
    All I need is to be able to manipulate video files and edit them with
    sound and music.
    If I like it, I can afford to get the 'studio' version which is about $ 299
    Please tell me about DaVinci resolve !!!
    I am very interested in trying this product.
    Thank you all !!!
    Rednova you can try and use Resolve for free except some noise reduction and stereo features. Having said that, I think I will buy Studio myself soon. Unfortunately it seems not possible to order online but through resellers.

I think it's required that you have CUDA capable graphics card but I'm not completely sure. It runs very well on all my machines but I always use NVidia cards.

Resolve is very capable of simple and complex grading and editing. It is also been used for professional feature films. I have successfully edited videos / image sequences alot with it without watching any tutorial, it's very intuitive. It also has profiles for MP4 / H264 output.

They have improved the product it the last couple of releases but I always found it great to use.
    Last edited by Marander; 04-14-2018 at 08:16 AM.

Also, note - the editing features are relatively new. Da Vinci Resolve was formerly a colorist/grading tool. It used to have special requiremenst and hardware and going back years used to cost like $100,000, for use on feature films. The fact that you can now have this technology in your hands for free is incredible!!
    BRACE MEDIA
    Ensuring every picture tells your story.

New Brace Media website

Thank you guys for replying to my post.
    I am definitely interested in trying the free davinci resolve.
    I got a feeling I am going to like it.
    I only need simple video/sound editing features.
    It seems to me resolve is great for doing what I need.
    Thank you !!!
    -Mobilis In Mobile-

I use the free version of Davinci Resolve all the time for my business activities and have yet to hit any significant limitations. It's under constant development by BlackMagic.

You will find this excellent set of video tutorials by Daria Fissoun indispensable - work your way steadily through them, it's well worth the effort: https://www.youtube.com/user/goatseyeviewUK/videos
    iemedia solutions:
    Web Site
    YouTube Channel
    Scavengers SciFi novel:
    Amazon UK
    Amazon USA

Quote Originally Posted by rednova View Post
    It may help to explain what is not liked in Premiere Pro. Whatever conflict you experienced may appear in other software as well.

Being free, it would be wise to attempt an install to see for yourself. If it is not compatible with your hardware or video formats, there are many free or very low cost options (ShotCut, HitFilm, Lightworks, Avid Media Composer).
    LW7.5D, LW2015.3, LW2018.0.x running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

This could be me having the problem rather than the software, but after installing the free version of Resolve it wouldn't launch. I forget what the error was but it was cryptic. I searched their site for the system requirements without any luck. I finally found some posted on a forum not at their site stating the OS had to be Windows 10. I don't know if this is a accurate or not, but I am running Windows 7 and wrote off the launch errors to that and uninstalled Resolve. I'll try it again when I get Windows 10. Like I said at the beginning, this could be something I did wrong as well.

unstable - I had a similar problem to you. I installed it on a Win7 laptop, but it failed to launch. I haven't had time to go digging for a solution yet. I have seen youtube videos of people juggling some config files around during a uninstall/reinstall.

Don't forget, you can go to the BMD support page, and download any previous version back to Resolve v10...

System compatibility issues are not unique. This software, and some other NLEs, were intended for specific hardware setups. Similar to NewTek, Blackmagic Design's business involves the package sale of hardware and software solutions. I had a system that would install and start Resolve, but it would crash whenever a video file was added to the bin.

This is why it is ideal to install a free version of the software to test its compatibility before exclaiming "I am very interested in trying this product" on the forum of a competing vendor.
    LW7.5D, LW2015.3, LW2018.0.x running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

had DaVinci Resolve launch problems on Win7 with version 13.
    version 14 however works fine atm.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz