Thread: Using Teradek for remote video

Using Teradek for remote video

Currently, when I am not in my studio, I skype into my studio's tricaster through the skypetx. It works okay, but obviously the audio and video quality aren't great.

I am considering other options for sending better video to my tricaster so that I can still be "in HD" when I am remote and my producer is running the tricaster in studio

I looked at the Comrex live shot, which is about $15,000 for the encoder and receiver, but then I was told about the Teradek systems, which seem to run closer to $3-5k.

Does anyone have experience with these in conjunction with a Tricaster? Curious about feedback, tips, warnings, etc. Will it achieve what I want, which is to be able to integrate my remote shot in actual high definition into our multicamera production with our graphics, etc?

Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Thank you, very interesting! I have tech knowledge but not an expert in this particular area. Are these software tools that send video from a camera connected to a laptop, or are these hardware (alone or in combination with software) that connect directly to a camera? I am trying to understand the general logistics and signal flow of it

I haven't used any of these solutions, have just read blog posts and FAQs about them over recent months, would suggest the same to learn more, just read up on them on their websites and such

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

dpakman,
    Which Teradek system are you looking at? The Bond units or the Cubes?
    What is your intended goal? Send one camera feed or to send an entire production back to the studio? Remote camera operators?

I have used many of their products before on different productions.

I am also quite familiar with the Teradek Bond 2 and Teradek Core. LMK if I can help

I have spoken to Teradek and it seems that the Cube encoder and decoder setup would work very well for what I want to do.

The issue I'm having now is that of getting return audio from my studio/tricaster. Since there will be other people participating in the programs when I am remote with a Teradek, I need a way to hear who is talking in my studio. Unfortunately, Teradek does not currently support this. The only option that they proposed was being on a phone call with an earpiece back to my studio when I'm remote and transmitting through the Teradek, but that is not a good solution, both for tech reasons (different latency on phone vs through teradek/tricaster/internet connectio) and because when I'm outside of the US I can't be on a phone call the entire time.

A skype call is another option, but I need to keep the Skype TX free when I'm remote with a Teradek in order to do an interview with a guest who would be connected to the SkypeTX.

What ideas do people have about this return audio issue?

It sounds like Unity Intercom would work for your situation. You can use your phone as your comm device (so it's inexpensive) and usable anywhere through wifi or cell service. Check them out.

http://www.unityintercom.com/
    Jeremy Brandt
    TV/Video Teacher
    Voorhees High School, NJ
    http://www.VoorheesTV.com

TriCaster Mini - Advanced Edition
    TriCaster Mini Control Surface
    Primary Cameras - JVC GY-HM750

Quote Originally Posted by jeremybrandt View Post
    It sounds like Unity Intercom would work for your situation. You can use your phone as your comm device (so it's inexpensive) and usable anywhere through wifi or cell service. Check them out.

That is interesting. I am wondering if it might exceed my technical scope a bit...where might I be able to see logistically how it would all go together and work? I have checked out the website, see the different ways of connecting to the server, but am still not 100% sure I understand exactly how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremybrandt View Post

I've arranged to rent a Teradek setup and want to try Unity Intercom for the return audio. Do you or does anyone know how to configure the Unity Intercom to send a tricaster mix minus audio mix that will contain everything other than my own voice when I'm sending video to the tricaster remotely through the Teradek?

How close are you to your Tricaster when you're wireless? I bought an IKA-n Blitz 400 Wireless HD SDI TX/RX with an NAB discount for around $1600. It inputs HDMI or HD-SDI and outputs the same. 400 feet line of sight. I should have it early next week. I'm trying to use a transmitting Midland radio and a receiving Midland radio as intercom. I haven't quite worked out the intercom yet as I want to set up the transmitting radio with my Clear-Com wired intercom which is connected to all the other cameras in the stadium. I'm waiting for parts to rig the transmitting radio to lock in TX mode. They tell me I should get 18 to 24 hours on the internal batteries for the radios. The radios were less than $50 each. I'm planning on putting the radios and the Blitz 400 Wireless on the 50 yard-line which will be within 50 yards of the camera at all times.
    Tricaster 860 and CS
    3Play 330 and CS

Sony PMW-EX3
    5-Sony HXR-NX5
    Sony Z1-U
    FCP7 & FCPX NLEs
    2-AJA KI PROs
    BM-ATEM 1ME Production Studio
    BM-HyperDeck Shuttle recorder

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fowler View Post
    dpakman,
    Which Teradek system are you looking at? The Bond units or the Cubes?
    What is your intended goal? Send one camera feed or to send an entire production back to the studio? Remote camera operators?

I have used many of their products before on different productions.
    I'm looking to JUST send one camera's video and audio back to the studio and tricasters, and to be able to HEAR the master tricaster audio back in the remote location, so that i can converse with my team in the studio as we do during our normal production. open to any ideas. camera will be with me and a fixed shot, no operator.

Quote Originally Posted by bbailey View Post
    How close are you to your Tricaster when you're wireless? I bought an IKA-n Blitz 400 Wireless HD SDI TX/RX with an NAB discount for around $1600. It inputs HDMI or HD-SDI and outputs the same. 400 feet line of sight. I should have it early next week. I'm trying to use a transmitting Midland radio and a receiving Midland radio as intercom. I haven't quite worked out the intercom yet as I want to set up the transmitting radio with my Clear-Com wired intercom which is connected to all the other cameras in the stadium. I'm waiting for parts to rig the transmitting radio to lock in TX mode. They tell me I should get 18 to 24 hours on the internal batteries for the radios. The radios were less than $50 each. I'm planning on putting the radios and the Blitz 400 Wireless on the 50 yard-line which will be within 50 yards of the camera at all times.
    I might be on the other side of the country or in another country altogether.